Thoughts on 1990's Toyota Pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother is looking at an early model of this truck....I believe its a 1991. Its the 3.0 V6 with the auto, it also has 4 wheel drive. The current mileage is 245k. Are there any glaring problems with these? I told him I wouldn't pay much for it due to the age/ mileage. He has always wanted a truck and was looking at getting this one (friend of the family is selling it). Would this be a good option, or should he look elsewhere? Also, I really don't know much about these so what type of maintenance / care would it need at this point in its life? He asked me to post this for him because he trusts the BITOG community
wink.gif
TIA!

A 25 year old truck with 250K miles? I don't think anybody can say either way, I mean it does have 250,000 miles, so it must be good at something.

Timing belt motor that occasionally has head gasket issues. It's non-interference though.

If he wants one of those trucks he should get one with the 22-RE, there pretty legendary motors.

Really depends on the use scenario.

4WD in FL, why?

I certainly wouldn't depend on it for daily 'truck type' activities; he'll be chasing age related things ad infinitum.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Timing belt motor that occasionally has head gasket issues. It's non-interference though.

If he wants one of those trucks he should get one with the 22-RE, there pretty legendary motors.
THIS/\

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

THIS/\

Having had three of them, and currently driving an 84 model, I'd agree.

The old V6 sucked gas and did not produce much power.

The 3.0L is just as reliable as the 22RE, it just requires more maintenance. And OH MY GOD is it hard to work on.

Valve cover gaskets are a 4 hour job.

It drinks gas. You'll get around 18mpg.

Look for a different truck, imo.

I had one for about a year, I just didn't see the point. It was really really good off-road, though! The entire time I owned it I drove it with regret for not buying the 22RE.

Get a 2wd Dodge Dakota short cab, short bed with the Magnum 3.9 and decent rear gears, like 3.50s.
19.gif

Headgaskets and absolutely gutless engine that sucks fuel.

Toyota repaired first head gasket their dime 2nd my dad paid.

My dad had a 1990 4Runner v6 that was towed away last year. He quit driving mainly because ac quit and then forgot about it.

My friend's gets ~18MPG despite having super-deep axle gears, an automatic, and pushing a 9' high box through the air! (It's an ex-UHaul 10' truck.) Heads have been replaced (by UHaul), shortblock and trans are original...just short of 300,000 miles.

It's not at all gutless, but has to be driven properly: it's a DOHC 24-valve V6, so let it spin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back