OLM was tripped on the GM so I changed the oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not "Hilarity ensues" but, here is the tale.

Notice it went pretty straightforward, with no crazy [censored].

How did I do. ?

Headed to the buffet.. Oil change discussion! Truck was started from cold..

To reset OLM: Turn key to ignition or RUN position (just before start) but don't start it.. Full mash pedal 3 times in 5 seconds. Took me three tries, but I got it.

By chance has that vehicle been overheating. I don't know if it's just the way the pictures where taken but that oil is the classic look of a blown head gasket.

Dude, you just put 5w20 in a car that takes 5w30.

And the oil that came out looked like chocolate milk, that was the weirdest looking oil I've seen.

Oil looks like it has water or coolant in it and you've just cut the viscosity and put the wrong oil in it.

Cue the "well the truck is making a strange noise and there appears to be a hole in the block with something poking out" thread where it decides to eject a rod
smirk.gif

I'm sure your mom will be absolutely ELATED!

As to the 5W-30 comments: This is BITOG... And those were the last two jugs of 5W-20. No 0W-20 to be had. What do we learn here. As thick as necessary, but as thin as possible..

And to the oil condition/color: This oil had 2 cans of Lubro-Moly MOS2 in it, along with Seafoam and a bottle of MMO. Put together with a LOOP of fuel cleaner.. like, 3 bottles CRC Guaranteed To Pass over three tanks, and Royal Purple Maclean and Redland SI-1. Soo... (Nick, OVERKILL) I see no other signs of "water in the oil" including perfect coolant level, and I think the mutant oil was from other, maybe 02 sensor related to fuel things.. and my own concoction, which now is out.

The 5W-20 also eliminated noise on start-up, so, I'm thinking stubborn mechanic (OVERKILL remember how I mentioned how I'm not turning any wrenches on this teuck?) Stayed putting the 10W-40 in there, and "yes"sed Mom to death on me INSISTING on 5W-30 LIKE IT SAYS ON THE CAP use, since he is as stubborn as I am, which is why I like him...

Surey, 5W-20 can't be an issue here!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Oil looks like it has water or coolant in it and you've just cut the viscosity and put the wrong oil in it.

Cue the "well the truck is making a strange noise and there appears to be a hole in the block with something poking out" thread where it decides to eject a rod
smirk.gif

That's what it looks like to me. I'd send a sample for analysis and get 5W30 in that engine.

smirk.gif

It's had the wrong viscosity for life. 10W-40 by genius family guy since after it got out the dealer.. But, saying "5W-20 is wrong" seems to contradict everything I learned on BITOG. Can you tell the resident Gearhead why it so bad in this case?

And truck still runs like Day 1. Amazing. But, if we gonna start saying it has an HG problem, then surely you want me to go look.. even though it doesnt..

I really hope you're joking. Have you learned anything here? Yes as thin as possible but as thick as necessary but you're not understanding one thing here. A 30 weight is necessary! This isn't a Honda Civic that specs that.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

smirk.gif

That's what it looks like to me. I'd send a sample for analysis and get 5W30 in that engine.

WHY IS 5W-20 SO BAD FOR A VORTEC 4200!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I really hope you're joking. Have you learned anything here? Yes as thin as possible but as thick as necessary but you're not understanding one thing here. A 30 weight is necessary! This isn't a Honda Civic that specs that.

Good luck.

You guys are joking! HOW MANY THREADS DO WE HAVE THAT SAY 5W-20 IS OK WITH 5W-30 SPEC..

Joseph, sorry but you definitely aren't as smart as the engineers who designed this engine. 5w20 was nothing new when this engine came out, if it was ideal for this engine they would have specified it.

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio

Good luck.

You guys are joking! HOW MANY THREADS DO WE HAVE THAT SAY 5W-20 IS OK WITH 5W-30 SPEC..
I haven't seen one yet, what are you talking about?

Good luck.

Are you trolling me?

As to the 5W-30 comments: This is BITOG... And those were the last two jugs of 5W-20. No 0W-20 to be had. What do we learn here. As thick as necessary, but as thin as possible..

Completely ignoring the part about "within the range specified by the manufacturer" eh?

So if an OEM specs 5w-20 to 20w-50, you use what is appropriate for your anticipated operating conditions and ambient temperatures. That does not mean ignoring what the OEM says and running thinner than what is spec'd.

And to the oil condition/color: This oil had 2 cans of Lubro-Moly MOS2 in it, along with Seafoam and a bottle of MMO. Put together with a LOOP of fuel cleaner.. like, 3 bottles CRC Guaranteed To Pass over three tanks, and Royal Purple Maclean and Redland SI-1. Soo... (Nick, OVERKILL) I see no other signs of "water in the oil" including perfect coolant level, and I think the mutant oil was from other, maybe 02 sensor related to fuel things.. and my own concoction, which now is out.

Or it just has water in the oil. Did you do a "brake booster" water cleaning on this thing?

The 5W-20 also eliminated noise on start-up,

Or it was the filter.

so, I'm thinking stubborn mechanic (OVERKILL remember how I mentioned how I'm not turning any wrenches on this teuck?) Stayed putting the 10W-40 in there, and "yes"sed Mom to death on me INSISTING on 5W-30 LIKE IT SAYS ON THE CAP use, since he is as stubborn as I am, which is why I like him...

Surey, 5W-20 can't be an issue here!

It certainly could be an issue here which is why when it isn't your vehicle you should leave the wizards in the can alone and use what is specified by the manufacturer.

Are you trolling me?

I haven't seen one of those threads either.

I think I know who is trolling.

Good luck.

Zero, unless you are including the threads SPECIFICALLY discussing engines that were BACK SPEC'd for 5w-20, like the Ford Modular engines. This is not one of those engines.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you trolling me?

Yeah the guy who goes on other boards and talks [censored] about how many times he's been banned here

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you trolling me?

You are because pretty much every thread in there talks about how 5w20 is ok in 5w30 app, so stop trolling.

OVERKILL my post submit situation was messed up but I was just now attempting to reply but yes I did significant water cleaning. Sorry for the delay.

I'm not fully believing people getting on me about 5w20 just stop it this is BITOG this is what we do.

Congrats on the de-rail, fellas.

Good luck.

Zero, unless you are including the threads SPECIFICALLY discussing engines that were BACK SPEC'd for 5w-20, like the Ford Modular engines. This is not one of those engines.

This isn't the 5.4L 3-valve.. Are you suggesting the 5W-30 doesn't degrade to the 5W-20? (Like every other thread in Oil Forum talks about?)

It can shear down occasionally, but it probably spent 95% of it's life as a 30 grade.

I don't understand why you think we're "trolling" you. I'm not trolling you. There's a minimum requirement for an oil viscosity for each engine, you've gone under that viscosity to an unsafe region.

Now for my trolling:
Anybody know the cSt of Vegetable Oil? If it's thinner than a 20 grade it must be ideal for this Vortec!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back