Wal-Mart... Supertech Warning- Be Careful- RIp Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Tech windshield washer warning!!!

I purchased 5 one gallon containers of the blue washer fluid after i got it home i realized it says "Summer Formula +32 on the bottle...If anyone has this in their windshield washer and it goes below freezing your system will FREEZE.
I put a small cup of it in my freezer and it froze solid!
I never heard of a windshield washer fluid that has to be changed in the winter..

It's still hot out so Walmart stocks the summer blend. At my store, there are always a couple of winter blend jugs left over on the bottom shelves. I just use those year-round.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I never heard of a windshield washer fluid that has to be changed in the winter..

Are you new to the Mid Atlantic states?

I noticed that on the jugs at walmart a couple months ago. They didn't have any winter fluid so I didn't buy any.

Publix grocery stores do the same thing. solution is useless. Publix WINTER solution is almost useless also as there is very little freeze protection given by their fluid,

They have this stuff at dollar tree as well. The "duh" moment is that the 70% methanol solution obviously costs around $2 because that's about the same baseline all the other brands, ever, charge per gallon. DT's stuff even bragged about how it was "VOC free", which might as well read, effectiveness absent!

DT has methanol stuff, but by the 1/2 gallon, in winter.

I even saw some walmart blue water advertised as "good to Zero Centigrade". Sadly, though I thought it might be a parody of ignorance, it could have been counting on actual ignorance.

"They" used to say the summer formula had more bug guts solvent, but it leaves me wondering, why not just put that in the winter blend too?

Ripoff? How?

I saw those marked down; it said Summer, freezes @ 32F so I didn't buy any. Just cut it with the -20F stuff.

Last edited:
Walmart has been doing this for many, many years. One of the reasons why I don't buy windshield washer fluid at Walmart. On the other hand, Sam's Club seems to stock only -25 degree stuff.

just because you didn't read the label carefully doesn't mean that WM is ripping you off.

Fact check: here, we have the regular blue dyed washer fluid that is good down to about -18C; we have red dyed ones from certain chain store that goes down to about -32C; Prestone winter washer fluid, which is fluorescent yellow in colour, is good down to about -38C. We also have purple dyed washer fluid that supposedly good down to -45C or so.

Colour doesn't mean anything, label does. If the label doesn't correspond to it's contents, then I'd say WM has an issue, legally speaking.

Otherwise, it's all written on the label.

Q.

Menards has their -20 formula on sale now for $1.38/gallon. (Yes, I read the label) I plan on stocking up the next time I'm in the store. That should be strong enough this winter, as the -30 Prestone formula is out of my budget. I'm sorry if there is no Menards in your area.

No ripoff, most stores around here stock the "summer formula" in the summer, including Walmart. The price is cheaper than the winter formula, too. With fall just around the corner, they'll start stocking the winter formula soon, and the price will go up.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Permatex sells an engine antifreeze that freezes at -8 °C. I bought it without paying attention, thinking it was -8 °F and trusting Permatex's good name. Turned out to be 19% antifreeze and 81% water. What a rip off, 30% is the bare minimum and most engine manufacturers require 40%.

Permatex Safe Road PDS

I keep getting stuck on why when someone doesn't read a label it suddenly becomes somebody else's fault. My daughter drives the BMW in northern Wisconsin, I have to be careful to find and buy the fluid rated to -35 as the -25 stuff won't cut it up there. If I don't read the label and buy the wrong fluid, how does that become the retailer's fault?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I keep getting stuck on why when someone doesn't read a label it suddenly becomes somebody else's fault.... If I don't read the label and buy the wrong fluid, how does that become the retailer's fault?

This, 100%.

Perhaps a better thread title: Read labels prior to purchase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back