Coolant flush and new Tstat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm flushing my 2012 Hyundai Elantra's coolant soon and I'm going to replace the thermostat. 162K miles on car, flushed once before at 80K. Is it worth the extra work to remove old thermostat, replace cover, flush and then install new thermostat and fill and bleed. I ordered one of the Lisle spill free funnels to use for removing air since there is no bleeder on this car and it took awhile last flush to get all of the air out. If going with pulling the thermostat method, one new gasket should be sufficient, don't you think? Thanks

It always makes sense to have a new gasket, and a tube of hylomar or similar is useful too.

IMO if you're doing the coolant at 162k it makes sense to do the stat at the same time, save having to do it when it fails and having to use more coolant.

Perfect time for belts, hoses, tensioners, as or if required. Dare I say also, if the water pump has not been changed, this might be the time. Sorry to add to the "while you're in there" mentality but just food for thought. Wow, you are really rolling up the miles on a 2012 model! Impressive.

Last edited:
If you're flushing I wouldn't bother a new gasket. Worst case is it'll leak, which you can top off with water, as you're standing there watching it. Take note if your new t-stat has a jiggle valve and contemplate if you want to drill a tiny hole to help burp air for the next time you flush.

If you have a hard time burping the air from the head, behind the t-stat, consider disconnecting the top rad hose from the rad and putting a funnel in it, to backfill the engine. Go at it until it spills from the open radiator nipple. A tiny hole in the thermostat helps with this.

Quote:
Is it worth the extra work to remove old thermostat, replace cover, flush and then install new thermostat and fill and bleed.

This is my main question. Is it worthwhile to flush with the thermostat removed? I'm thinking that will speed up the flush, not needing to wait for the thermostat to open. It is the extra work of removing the cover and hose twice.

I replaced the accessory belt at 100K. The water pump runs off of it and is not on a timing belt like on my civics so I'm holding off on that, hoping for the best. I've had the car since June 2011 so do about 40K a year. Keeping the coolant changed I think will help with the water pump lubrication.

I feel old saying this, but,
'back in the day' we used an aspirin to hold the stat open for easier bleeding, save drilling a hole and prolonging warmup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back