How to remove rtv, spark plug and boot stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well this is my first post here and I'm not sure if it's in the right place.

A while ago I thought I had used dielectric on my spark plugs and on the springs in the boot, unfortunately I used clear permatex rtv, I put a good bit on them and I can only remove 2 coils the rest are fully stuck. On the 2 coils I can remove, I can't remove the boots.

This is on a 05 gmc envoy 4.2 which is a aluminum i6 with cop coils.

Now so far I have read that gasoline will break it up and ammonia too, ammonia being the best, but will the two work on aluminum? And which one is actually better?

i would love if it was that easy but there really isn't any space around the plug and boot so even if it ripped off easy i still wouldn't be able to grab the plug with a socket

you can see the space and depth in this pic

10%20-%20Number%202%20Cylinder%20Coil%20Pack%20Removed%20small.jpg

Search matco for tool number MST6845 I bought it specifically for ford mod motors as they can be a real [censored]

It would suck to have to search out the Matco rep and pay the $50 for one job, but it would also suck to dig it out with needle nose pliers.

Chemically rtv is resistant to most chemicals. I hope you find something that works

Thanks for the part. Right now I dont have any reason to remove the plugs or coils so it's not a priority but I definitely want to know for when I do have to. I will look into that tool more later.

Also I have a extra head so if I get time I'll get another plug boot rtv it in on a plug and see if gas or ammonia does anything

First off the boots are replaceable. Secondly I reviewed your photo. There's a ton of room in those spark plug holes. A pair of long needled nose pliers or how about a screwdriver down the side of the boot. Doesn't seem like a end of the world issue on this application. The Fords have way less room and are much deeper.

i know they are and i have no problem replacing them but i am not going to start cutting at one to end up getting stuck and not getting it off and then what? i am just asking because if there is something that will dissolve rtv then i can just pour it, in let sit and remove, no worries. also yes there is room in there being that its a i6 with cop coils but there is definitely not easy access to the rear 2 cylinders to be pulling away with a needle nose pier.

and yes not a end of the world issue just want to know what can/will work when i have to remove them, no need to remove them if there working just fine unless something can just dissolve it

Worry about it when its time for new plugs. As a previous poster stated you can get more boots. Over time perhaps the rtv will degrade and will pull free. I would not spend a lot time worrying , if its not something to need to adress now.

once again yes i know, i would just like to know if something can do just that for whenever i may need it, not to know if i need to remove them that i have to wait a few days for a answer or have my only choice as yanking on stuck rubber.

one last question thought, does rtv's hold change with heat? will pulling the rtv out while the engines hot have any difference vs cold?

Hey i can understand that. I cant think of anything I've used to dissolve it within a short amount of time. The only thing you have going is trying to break the bond from the RTV to the boot. I know oil will soften the boot and should free the bond of the RTV.

Well I could leave it for over the weekend, also is there anything that will dissolve rubber easily?

Do you know the story about a young couple who mixed up ky jelly with window putty? All of their windows fell out! What do you think I was going to say????

well, cured RTV is resistant to just about everything. The good news is that the bond it forms is not too strong, I'd run it for a while and see if it loosens up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back