HDEO Oil recommendations for 2014 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running M1 EP 5W 30. I was wondering if a Rotella T6 oil would be OK to run in this motor,if so what weight? Anyone have any input? I do see a lot of ecoboost F150 owners using it.

10w-30 T5 would be better. Its thinner than T6. In the winter the 5w-40 is really thick compared to 10w-30. Someone may correct me if im wrong.

Yeah the Rotella T5 10w30 is thicker at colder temps than the T6. But not really by a whole lot though. The T5 is at 6300 CCS at -25°c and the T6 is at 6000 at -30°c. But in Austin Texas the Rotella T5 would be fine. It is a good buy at Walmart for a little over $14 for a 4 qt container. Single qts are $5.17. So for around $20 for 5 qts is a solid deal.

Running 0w40(Mobil1 or Castrol) winters and 5w40(Delo or T6) summers in mine.

I'd say it runs smooth and not worried about fuel dilution or timing chain issues.

I only run synthetics so am biased toward them.

I am just trying to save a little money. I do work it hard seemed like Rotella would be a quality HD oil. I am a synthetic guy and did not know if running a 10W in a 5W recommended engine. I read that Rotella resist fuel dilution very well. My M1 has a fuel smell. The truck only has 12K miles on it.

M1 EP is a long drain oil,so using it for regular drains is a waste

As far as fuel dilution no oil resists it. None. Gasoline introduced to oil will thin the oil until it's burned off.

it is a great product mainly just looking to try a few others,I have read in several other forums that the dispersants in HDEO might help with the Eco with regards to soot witch these engines tends to produce. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RJS1971
I am just trying to save a little money. I do work it hard seemed like Rotella would be a quality HD oil. I am a synthetic guy and did not know if running a 10W in a 5W recommended engine. I read that Rotella resist fuel dilution very well. My M1 has a fuel smell. The truck only has 12K miles on it.

This is not going to be popular, as most here are going to tell you that you "need" a premium motor oil, but here is the reality:

From the owner's manual for a 2014 F-150, page 301 found here:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_03_2014.pdf
You need anything that will meet WSS-M2C946-A; that's Ford's 5w-30 oil spec.

Let's see what we can find in the market place ...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobilSuper.aspx
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/premium_conventional.pdf
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C40C97F2F1CE37D680257AA9005313B2/$File/GTX_Conv_2012.pdf
http://www.quakerstate.com/motor-oil/advanced-durability

Right there are four brands of conventional base-stock oil that specifically meet the Ford spec for your engine. I'm sure there are others, but my point is made.

You can "want" other fancy lubes, but the engine "needs" an oil that meets that spec. Several inexpensive lubes do just that, and they do so very well.

No lube "resists fuel dilution very well". And why your M1 has a "fuel smell" is because the GDI engines tend to have this issue; not unheard of by any means in a Ford EB engine. Using the T6 (or any other brand of oil) isn't going to make this "fuel smell" go away ...

You call yourself a "synthetic guy"; that's probably not something you're going to give up easily. But the reality is that your engine requires a lube that meets a Ford spec, and plenty of conventional oils do so. I realize that's hard for some lube-bigots to swallow, but that is the reality of the market place. So if you're true to your self, and intend to save money, then consider these (and others). If you want to follow the herd and just buy the expensive stuff, then just do what you want; that's OK too.

What I perceive is that you're tired of paying for Mobil 1, and want to "save money" by choosing some other product that still says "synthetic" on the label. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. Well - I have news for you ... You can!
You can buy any of a number of good quality conventional motor oils that meet the Ford spec for your engine! You can have the appropriate protection for the engine AND save money!

Maybe you only want to save a little money, and not a lot of money? Just remember; what you want and what your engine needs are not always the same thing.

Do as you see fit.

Last edited:
With all due respect, your assessment of needs vs wants rests solely on the premise that ford got it 100% right.

The fact is that some of the engines are having trouble with wear on the bottom end. Time will tell for sure, but it may turn out that the specified oil is not adequate in all cases.

While it is true to say that the spec given above is everything ford thinks the engine needs, it may not be true to say that the spec is the end all be all as to what the engine actually needs.

I think there is more at work with this engine to explain the mechanical problems that have show up on higher mileage engines.

If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to bet that ford comes up with a new spec to supersede the current spec and reformulates their oil to meet it to specifically address problems with the 3.5L ecoboost.

To me, running a plain Jane oil (to which that spec amounts) for 10,000 miles in an engine that produces 420 ftlb @2500 rpm is not a recipe for longevity.

I might be wrong, but ford might be wrong too. Time will tell.

The Ford Spec is almost certainly fine for 5k OCI's but there are a few things to consider on the Eco-Boost

-It's a direct injection engine meaning using a lower volatility % oil may help reduce intake valve deposits that your fuel injectors are not cleaning. Synthetic tends to have the lower volatility % than conventional.

-There is fuel dilution in these engines as they tend to dump a lot of fuel under load to help cool the pistons. However it is likely that most of this will get burned off through the PCV system. Long idle times and short trips are going to be the main contributor to fuel dilution so consider that in your weight choice.

-There are also reports that these engines shear oil quite a bit. With the fuel dilution and possible shearing, most 5w-30 oils are down to 5w-20 viscosity by the time the oil is changed. However this engine was originally spec'd for 5w-20 (as are most Ford engines these days) so one has to wonder if Ford simply changed the spec to 5w-30 to compensate.

I am just finishing up a 5k OCI on Castrol Edge 5w-30. There is a fuel smell to the oil but the level has not "grown" which is a sign of excessive fuel dilution that Ford has a TSB on. I intend to send it in for analysis to see what the fuel dilution % is as well as the viscosity. My intention is to step up to Castrol Edge 0w-40 on this engine just to give it a little extra protection (if not just some extra peace of mind). However unless something comes back really bad from the UOA, it's probably going to be overkill.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Any worries with HDEO's voiding warranty?

How about Castrol 0w30? It's an A3/ B3 oil.

I would gather the A3/B3 A3/B4 type lube would bring about the same concerns as an HDEO, if there are any.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I might be wrong, but ford might be wrong too. Time will tell.

Magnatec 5/30 seems to be working for me.... UOA

That is an impressive uoa I just want the best for this motor I plan on it being a long term truck for me. It runs great now with M1EP. It has 12,000 MI. On it and has had EP in it since break in. Every company has what seems to be the best oil ever.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The Ford Spec is almost certainly fine for 5k OCI's but there are a few things to consider on the Eco-Boost

-It's a direct injection engine meaning using a lower volatility % oil may help reduce intake valve deposits that your fuel injectors are not cleaning. Synthetic tends to have the lower volatility % than conventional.

-There is fuel dilution in these engines as they tend to dump a lot of fuel under load to help cool the pistons. However it is likely that most of this will get burned off through the PCV system. Long idle times and short trips are going to be the main contributor to fuel dilution so consider that in your weight choice.

-There are also reports that these engines shear oil quite a bit. With the fuel dilution and possible shearing, most 5w-30 oils are down to 5w-20 viscosity by the time the oil is changed. However this engine was originally spec'd for 5w-20 (as are most Ford engines these days) so one has to wonder if Ford simply changed the spec to 5w-30 to compensate.

I am just finishing up a 5k OCI on Castrol Edge 5w-30. There is a fuel smell to the oil but the level has not "grown" which is a sign of excessive fuel dilution that Ford has a TSB on. I intend to send it in for analysis to see what the fuel dilution % is as well as the viscosity. My intention is to step up to Castrol Edge 0w-40 on this engine just to give it a little extra protection (if not just some extra peace of mind). However unless something comes back really bad from the UOA, it's probably going to be overkill.

I had previously read this report on shearing as well, it was an interesting insight. I will do the UOA at the next OCI and see what it looks like, a 5W 40 would be a good option if this is the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back