Oil change observations from today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Why did you decide not to fill the oil filter?

The filter goes in at an angle so can't hold much oil.

Every time I've filled it in the past to halfway or so, I've had some spillage. The filter is also in an awkward location so spilling oil when trying to get the filter started on the threads means more awkward clean up.

Seeing it was always half empty before, I thought fully empty wouldn't make much difference.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Empty filter leads to a short delay in building pressure. Not all engines care, but some make noises. The noises heard were likely caused by the dry start. Was the engine hot and recently shut down or cold?

The oil pressure light went off really quickly, but the whining sound continued for some time after.

The engine was cold when started. It was 4 hours or so since the last shutdown which itself happened after the car had been running for an hour.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Huge agreement on being VERY careful what you wipe and what you use to wipe with! Even lint can cause damage!

I blew into the filter several times after cleaning the threads. I was tempted to blow with compressed air.

But if there is machining dust on the threads, isn't that even more of a concern than lint?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Benito
Secondly, when lubricating the oil filter gasket, I got some oil on the thread area and decided to clean it off because I actually torque the oil filter and the rule for torquing is that threads should be dry and free of oil / grease.

Torque wrench on the filter? What are the torque specs?

12 lbft
18.4 lbft on my other car

Originally Posted By: Tegger

This last image is from a BITOG thread:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3586377/1991_Buick_Park_Avenue_oil_cha

That is no image. That's a high quality photograph using a Nikon Coolpix.
grin2.gif

12 lbft

That's 144 inch pounds. I tried just 100 inch pounds on my Wix and even that was too tight.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
12 lbft

That's 144 inch pounds. I tried just 100 inch pounds on my Wix and even that was too tight.

The last time I hand tightened, the filter came off very easily - too easily - by hand at the next oil change.

This time, having used the torque wrench last time, I needed to use the filter cap and ratchet to loosen it but only the slightest amount.

The filter is in an awkward place and I have to slide my hand into a narrow space past the hot exhaust to get to it. The Bosch filters are also smooth with no grip on them. So it's another reason to use a filter cap with ratchet and extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back