Feral cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you handle it? The people feeding them say they can't afford to have them 'fixed' and they're multiplying quickly. I bought a trap but I'm torn between hauling them off and hoping the good intentioned people will take care of them. It seems odd, but my city animal control department says to trap them and haul them off. I told them it was they're job, but they said the cats were too fast and trapping them was too time consuming for they're officers. They use my yard, flower beds and garden as they're personal litter box. I suppose I'll have to set and bait the trap this evening.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I would trap and terminate them.

I don't think anybody here had any doubt this is what you would do with feral cats and other undesirables. Looks like you could go on a spree your area.

To keep cats out of your flower bed get 100% cedar mulch. It hurts the cat's paw and they won't walk on it. I got mine at Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Check out local rescue groups. Some will take kittens, and spay/neuter and release adults. The colony will then die out from lack of reproduction.

^^^This. Killing them won't help, you need to stop the reproduction.

John

Trap them out, it takes time. They are a great nuisance.
I have two pet cats that are very old and stay in yard and I don't need any feral Toms hurting them.
Both my cats trapped themselves once, they never again entered the trap, they were humiliated .
I use a live trap that cost about 50 bucks.

I don't see the problem in shooting Feral cats. I don't hate cats and we have two, one I am quite fond of. That said feral cats are wild animals and a nuisance to everyone. Trapping them and releasing them somewhere else doesn't do anyone any favors, even the feral cat. It would probably die a worse death than that of a .22 Long Rifle. It would starve or be eaten by a larger predator. The only humane and right thing to do is eliminate them and that is by killing them. They are a predator and harmful to all wildlife and your pets as well.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

I don't think anybody here had any doubt this is what you would do with feral cats and other undesirables. Looks like you could go on a spree

Although it is the fault of IRRESPONSIBLE owners causing the initial problem the product of those irresponsible owners
remain and cause great destruction, nuisances, and yes, these cats will BITE people that stumble upon them as well.

They are "animals" and when they become a problem for society those cats and dogs need to be eliminated.I don't feel sorry for them in the least, and they are better off in the end.

Last edited:
I actually like having wild cats around. Best way to keep rodents,etc away. Nature's exterminators.

I made the mistake by trapping 27 during a two month period. The next spring there was voles in my garden eating the seeds. First year I have ever had moles. And I had to lay down a lot of poison to keep the rats under control.

Now I will let about five or six stay around hunting before I will trap them to thin the numbers. They don't stay on my land. Just hunt it while passing through.

Last edited:
As mentioned before, stopping the reproductive cycle is the best way, but expensive. Cats are very teritorial, they will stay and defend their spot. Roaming Toms cause fights, litters are born, more cats, more and more cats. Removing them just allows more cats in...it's never ending.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I actually like having wild cats around. Best way to keep rodents,etc away. Nature's exterminators.

That. I will happily take cats over rats!

If you simply trap and remove (or kill) them, new ones will take their place. It's expensive, but if they can be spayed and neutered and allowed to remain, they'll keep new cats from entering their territory.

One summer I couldn't figure out why my climbing roses died. They were rare Old Garden Roses. Voles had chewed through the roots at the base of the plants. Rabbits and quail ate my newly planted baby roses right down to the ground.

Now there's a colony of feral cats around here that keep the rodents and quail in check, and some coyotes and a very cool pair of foxes that keep the cats in check.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

I don't think anybody here had any doubt this is what you would do with feral cats and other undesirables. Looks like you could go on a spree

Although it is the fault of IRRESPONSIBLE owners causing the initial problem the product of those irresponsible owners
remain and cause great destruction, nuisances, and yes, these cats will BITE people that stumble upon them as well.

They are "animals" and when they become a problem for society those cats and dogs need to be eliminated.I don't feel sorry for them in the least, and they are better off in the end.

I can't hold my tongue. Please, someone hold it for me. This may be difficult or impossible to understand for some, but I regard killing any living being as a last resort. In the case of feral cats and dogs there are in many cases other options that allow us to act humanly towards the animals. And if you think animals don't need to be treated humanely because they are not humans, then I will say we humans must act humanely for our own sake. As for your feral cat problem in Stamford, which I pointed out with a link and which you chose to ignore, have you actually taken action, or do you merely tell others what you "would" do? Do you actually put your mouth where your words are?

I can't hold my tongue. Please, someone hold it for me. This may be difficult or impossible to understand for some, but I regard killing any living being as a last resort. In the case of feral cats and dogs there are in many cases other options that allow us to act humanly towards the animals. And if you think animals don't need to be treated humanely because they are not humans, then I will say we humans must act humanely for our own sake. As for your feral cat problem in Stamford, which I pointed out with a link and which you chose to ignore, have you actually taken action, or do you merely tell others what you "would" do? Do you actually put your mouth where your words are?

When possible I trap them and terminate them, and will continue to do so, there is no suffering involved or pain when they are terminated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back