eBay etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

I stopped using Ebay after I bought a shirt which was literally a rag....I left negtive feedback and the seller demanded I remove it....so I went on the "chat board" for advice and then was bombarded with abuse from other sellers who claimed that $10.00 was so cheap that I got what I paid for and should shut up....this told me all I needed to know about some of the sellers there.

This. I had a similar experience where I paid for priority mail for a package I needed quickly. The seller sent it parcel post, and kept the money for expedited shipping. I posted the "what would you do?" question on their board and got torn apart. One person evidently had so little to do in their life that they went item by item through my sold item history and dissected what I had charged for shipping on my items. No one seemed to grasp that when a buyer pays for expedited shipping, that's what they would expect to receive.

Back OT. I'd ping the seller once for the tracking info and see what the response was. Then contact PayPal or Ebay. Just be aware that eBay, for as customer centric as they claim to be, does everything they can to stay out of disputes.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572

I stopped using Ebay after I bought a shirt which was literally a rag....I left negtive feedback and the seller demanded I remove it....so I went on the "chat board" for advice and then was bombarded with abuse from other sellers who claimed that $10.00 was so cheap that I got what I paid for and should shut up....this told me all I needed to know about some of the sellers there.

This. I had a similar experience where I paid for priority mail for a package I needed quickly. The seller sent it parcel post, and kept the money for expedited shipping. I posted the "what would you do?" question on their board and got torn apart. One person evidently had so little to do in their life that they went item by item through my sold item history and dissected what I had charged for shipping on my items. No one seemed to grasp that when a buyer pays for expedited shipping, that's what they would expect to receive.

Back OT. I'd ping the seller once for the tracking info and see what the response was. Then contact PayPal or Ebay. Just be aware that eBay, for as customer centric as they claim to be, does everything they can to stay out of disputes.

You would be amazed what people do on the Internet.

Stunned, sickened, and amazed.

I bought a 1993 ford taurus haynes manual about two months ago from an ebay seller for a whopping $4.50~

One and a half weeks later, I had no tracking number. I asked politely and he said it was shipped media mail. Okay fine, no tracking number available there. Week #3, still no book. He refunded me at that point. Week #8 now, and still no [censored] book. He never shipped it. He well deserved the neutral feedback.

The only times I've been burned on eBay,twice,I feel half the blame was on me because I didn't check the sellers' feedback before I purchased. And of course TONS of negatives,all for the exact same thing,never received the item.

Luckily they were both only like 5 bux,but ALWAYS check seller feedback before you bid/buy.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I bought a 1993 ford taurus haynes manual about two months ago from an ebay seller for a whopping $4.50~

One and a half weeks later, I had no tracking number. I asked politely and he said it was shipped media mail. Okay fine, no tracking number available there. Week #3, still no book. He refunded me at that point. Week #8 now, and still no [censored] book. He never shipped it. He well deserved the neutral feedback.

For a fad back in 2005 or so I used to get textbooks at yard sales and sell them on half.com. Half allowed me about $1.90 to ship and I "had" to use media mail to come close to breaking even. I got a few "where's my book" complainers even though I shipped promptly. USPS likes to sit on Media Mail to punish those who take advantage of what must lose them money.

One got returned to sender (myself) by USPS about 4 months after I shipped it; it was to a Louisiana address during/after Katrina. Held on to it for a long time, the sale that was not to be.

etiquette?

You file for refund, and give the seller bad feedback... if you can.

The problem with ebay is once you file a dispute, you can no longer leave negative feedback. This happened to me once: A seller sent the wrong item, so I filed a dispute. Ebay said I had to return the item (I would have to pay for S&H). The S&H was almost as much as the item so I didn't bother. I tried to leave negative feedback but Ebay would not allow it.

In the future I will not file disputes anymore. I will just leave negative feedback and file a dispute with the CC

I think this is how some sellers can maintain a higher rating than they deserve.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
For a fad back in 2005 or so I used to get textbooks at yard sales and sell them on half.com.

Ha! I used to do the same thing back in the early 2000's. It was a time where not a lot of people knew of sites like that, so there were awesome arbitrage opportunities.

Well, after 4 days with no shipping confirmation, I messaged the seller. Miraculously, a had a tracking number a day later. For several days now, all I get when I try to track the item is "seller has provided a tracking number". I messaged the seller again stating my concerns that the item had been purchased a week ago and had still not even been picked up (according to the provided tracking number). Now today, 8 days after the original purchase, I'd had enough. I opened an eBay dispute and asked for a refund. The problem is, the seller has a week to make it right before I can escalate it with eBay. This stinks, since I've already been in talks with the seller for several days. He hasn't ever messaged me back of course... so much for communication. Maybe this will prod him to get his act together. If I get a refund, great. If I actually ever get the product, that'll also be nice. Right now I'm just fed up and would rather buy from another, honest seller.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Well, after 4 days with no shipping confirmation, I messaged the seller. Miraculously, a had a tracking number a day later. For several days now, all I get when I try to track the item is "seller has provided a tracking number". I messaged the seller again stating my concerns that the item had been purchased a week ago and had still not even been picked up (according to the provided tracking number). Now today, 8 days after the original purchase, I'd had enough. I opened an eBay dispute and asked for a refund. The problem is, the seller has a week to make it right before I can escalate it with eBay. This stinks, since I've already been in talks with the seller for several days. He hasn't ever messaged me back of course... so much for communication. Maybe this will prod him to get his act together. If I get a refund, great. If I actually ever get the product, that'll also be nice. Right now I'm just fed up and would rather buy from another, honest seller.

What's his feedback look like? Any negatives?

Message sellers a ton if you want. Just don't leave a negative until you really have no other options. Many consumers leave a negative at the first sign of the smallest issue.

Professional sellers will help you out and usually do not deserve negatives. Yet people hand them out like candy on Halloween, and you cannot give buyers any negatives anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back