Flash question FF/Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys- I've run into a bit of a snag on that new computer for the shop. I was browsing one of our parts websites (NAPA Prolink) and wanted to view a lager photo of a part I was looking at ordering. After clicking on it, a window popped up (normal- larger photos will launch in their own window), but it only contained a message to effect of "your flash player is out of date" and provided a link to Adobe. Clicking that link brought me to the Adobe website, but I was unable to download it. The Ubuntu Software Center opened and said that it didn't exist... (My memory could be a little fuzzy here). Manually opening the Software Center and searching out Adobe Flash, showed it installed?

As the topic title indicates, this is both a FireFox and Chromium issue (Chromium is our primary browser).

What's weird is that I can view the same website/expanded pic fine at home and I have the same O.S. and browsers.

Did Ubuntu nix some of the Flash player stuff with the newer installs?

I guess I figured that it wasn't available when I went into the software center and searched out "Chrome" and only saw "Chromium".

What benefits would there be to ditching Chromium in favor of Chrome? I'm not too sure it would solve the viewing issues at the shop as I don't have problems at home with either FF or Chromium and FF doesn't view it at the shop...

Adobe no longer supports native flash on Linux.

Chromium is entirely open-source, where Chrome includes closed-source items -- codec support, and as it relates to our discussion, Pepper Flash, among other things.

It's really the superior choice. Download from the link I posted above, and see if that doesn't fix things for you.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Adobe no longer supports native flash on Linux.

... But a Flash installer is still available in the repositories. "adobe-flashplugin" as per: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash

One of the must-do things you, well, **must do** after installing Ubuntu is install all of the stuff they're not legally entitled to re-distribute to you. Look for the software package in the Software Center called "ubuntu-restriced-extras". This package installs pretty much anything you'll need in the way of plugins and codecs.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I guess I figured that it wasn't available when I went into the software center and searched out "Chrome" and only saw "Chromium".

Chromium is open-source and can be re-distributed. Chrome is partially closed-source and therefore cannot: You have to get it from Google. I'd suggest doing that and removing Chromium. (http://www.google.com/chrome/ - PM or post here is you need a hand installing it; but this is the exact same procedure as in Windows or Mac: Download the installer file and double-click it. In this case, Ubuntu's Software Center will open and you can just click "Install"...) If you do that, PM me or ask here and I can walk you through having Chrome use the same profile (passwords, history, cookies, etc.) that Chromium was using so you don't miss a beat.

What benefits would there be to ditching Chromium in favor of Chrome?

Google takes the open-source Chromium browser and adds closed-source stuff into it, like a Flash plugin, a PDF reader and some Google privacy-invading stuff.

Okay, so I decided to be a guinea pig and attempt this at home first... Downloaded Chrome and installed. Ubuntu Software Center said it had to be opened from a Terminal- so I did and even managed to sync all my stuff from Chromium to Chrome- it's a pretty slick deal! BUT.... How do I make it so that the icon is permanently locked to the sidebar launcher thingy? Right now Chrome will close if I close the Terminal. I'm sure it's simple, but it's still escaping me.

How do I make it so that the icon is permanently locked to the sidebar launcher thingy?

While it is open, right-click the icon on the sidebar and choose "Lock to Launcher". At that point you can even drag it up and down to position it amongst whatever other icons are there.

You can also right-click on icons you do not want there and choose "Unlock from Launcher".

I did that-what confused me (it's easy) is that when I click on it to open it, there is another icon Chrome icon that appears farther on down the line launcher. When I close Chrome, this goes away.

I did that-what confused me (it's easy) is that when I click on it to open it, there is another icon Chrome icon that appears farther on down the line launcher. When I close Chrome, this goes away.

I have had that happen before, and it is odd. You could always lock the "active" icon (small triangles immediately to the right of any given icon on the launcher indicate which application is the active one) and remove the inactive and see if that one sticks.

In other words: Open Chrome and let's presume a new icon appears. Right click the new one and lock 'er to the launcher and unlock the prior one. Maybe that'll stick?

That did the trick- thought I had tried that, but I didn't. Thank you for the helpful suggestions!

Unless you're a diehard open source fanatic. Chrome downloaded directly from the Google site does everything it does on Windows and OS X...it really makes the operating system irrelevant if you do all your computing online.

(as I type this on Chrome running in Kubuntu 15.04)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back