German oil brand Mabanol "Xenon Alpha Synth 0W40"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This is my first post in this forum. I have searched internet and this forum but could't find any topic about this brand and this product. So there it is first topic about Mabanol "Xenon Alpha Synth 0W40". I don't understand very much about oil just basic things what is flash point, pourpoint, SAE grade. Maybe there are experts who could tell more about this oil from froduct data and safety data sheets. I am interested how it is compared to other major oil Brands like Castrol 0W40 and Mobil 0W40 or other, I want to know if this oil is better or worse or in the same league?

There a links to manufacturer site:

http://www.mabanol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MabanolXenonAlphaSynth0W-40_TDS.pdf

http://www.mabanol.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mabanol_Xenon_Alpha_Synth_0W-40_GB.pdf

For one, it does not carry official engine manufacturer approvals (only recommendations), so from that standpoint you could say that it is worse than similar products from Castrol or Mobil.

Also, MB 229.3 is an older spec. The new spec is MB 229.5 and both Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 officially meet it.

Other than that, I have no idea. I've never heard of it.

Welcome to BITOG!

Yes,I have noticed that, but I don't know how much it is important, as an example I know one oil brand which is good and respectable in Europe is Liqui Moly and its oil also don't have approvals from car manufacturers. My next question would be if a good oil must have manufacturers approvals or it is possible that good oil can be without them?

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf

Originally Posted By: slepsnys
Yes,I have noticed that, but I don't know how much it is important,

It may be important if your car is under warranty and the car manufaturer requires you to use an oil that officially meets their spec in order to maintain that warranty. Should any engine problems arise, they may try to deny warranty if unapproved lubricant was used, and then you will have to pray and hope that the lubricant manufacturer will help pay the repair bill.

Is it likely that such issue will arise? Probably not. Are you willing to take that risk? I guess only you can answer that.

To me personally, if I have a car under warranty and it does not cost me any more to buy an approved lubricant from Castrol, Mobil, or Shell, then I'm not even going to experiment with some unknown brand with no official approval.

Quote:

as an example I know one oil brand which is good and respectable in Europe is Liqui Moly and its oil also don't have approvals from car manufacturers.

Some LM products do have official mfg approvals, for example LIQUI MOLY 5W-40 LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH.

Quote:

My next question would be if a good oil must have manufacturers approvals or it is possible that good oil can be without them?

It is certainly possible that an oil can be good and not have the official mfg approvals because the oil mfg does not want to pay the price to have the oil tested and approved.

This oil (and it's manufacturer) is totally unknown in Germany.

I'd rather choose an oil with real approvals.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_de.html

Some of these are very reasonably priced... Five litres of Alpine RS 0w-40 for example can be had for less than 23€. If a 5w-40 suffices, both Addinol and Total sell below 20€...

So why would you run the risk with the Mabanol?

Last edited:
After Your post I am not going to buy this oil.

It is very strange when people from Germany never heard of this company, which claims it is German. Before Your post I thought that this brand is not known outside Germany and it is local brand, but now I know that it is not.

I think I will go with "Meguin", which is a very old German manufacturer.

What do You think of this oil:

http://www.meguin.de/meguin/produktdb.nsf/id/me_4894.html?OpenDocument&land=ME

Originally Posted By: turboseize
This oil (and it's manufacturer) is totally unknown in Germany.

I'd rather choose an oil with real approvals.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_de.html

Some of these are very reasonably priced... Five litres of Alpine RS 0w-40 for example can be had for less than 23€. If a 5w-40 suffices, both Addinol and Total sell below 20€...

So why would you run the risk with the Mabanol?

Nice list, thanks for posting, it even has PENRITE HPR 5 5W-40
Probably note very common outside Australia

Quote:
It is very strange when people from Germany never heard of this company, which claims it is German. Before Your post I thought that this brand is not known outside Germany and it is local brand, but now I know that it is not.

Well, it may be a german brand (they have an office or at least a mail box in Hamburg), but it certainly is not well known, not even amongst car enthusiasts...

Maybe this is one of the russian/chinese "german brands" like Kaiser or Erich Krause this article talks about: http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unterne...-a-1007512.html
But then, maybe not. Maybe they're real and I just don't know them. Maybe...

Quote:
I think I will go with "Meguin", which is a very old German manufacturer.

What do You think of this oil:

Well, this oil also does not have official approvals. But it used to have, and Meguin is a well known name. They were the main supllier for LM, and LM made so much money rebranding Meguin oils and selling them much dearer that they bought not only the oil, but the manufacturer. So basically, Meguin = LM in disguise.
Shortly thereafter some of the older Meguin oils lost their certifications/approvals, which makes sense from LM point of view. You want official approvals, buy the expensive LM. You're a cheapskate, buy Meguin... (and hope they did not change the formulation).
There are, however, some Meguin oils that still carry official MB approvals.

Regarding this particular oil, it is only recommeded for MB 229.3, so we do not know wether this is an older formulation and the approval just ran out, or LM just did not want to get this certified MB 299.5 or something else...
I'd rather buy an oil officially approved MB 229.5, but then, I'm willing to pay a slight premium for the peace of mind. If only "unofficial" oils were available, however, I'd chose Meguin over many other brands.

Last edited:
After Your post I am not going to buy this oil.

Why are you even considering it? Is it significantly cheaper than other well known brands? And if so, you have to wonder why...

Yes, it is cheaper. About 40% cheaper than Castrol or Mobil in 0W40. That's why I have considered it, but not any more. Now I trying to decide between:

and

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/ENG/pdf/1838_stec_ENG.pdf

What do You think, which is better?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Their 5w-40 has an MB 229.3 approval, so it may be outdated, but at least it can't be complete rubbish. None of their oils has a 229.5, though... and only one 5w-30 has a 228.51.

BUT to come back to the original question: MB has just updated teir bevo lists. There are now two Mabanol 5w-30 on the bevo-list, certified for 229.51, and the xenon alpha synth 5w-40 is now officially 229.3.

Hello,This is my first post in this forum. ..... I don't understand very much about oil just basic things what is flash point, pourpoint, SAE grade.

If I understand you correctly, you are just starting to get educated on oil. The web page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil is good for just starting out.

Certainly the best way to shop for oils is to use any oil that meets your engine maker's specifications. The highest specifications in the world are MB229.xx and Porsche A40, so any oil that actually meets those specs are about the best you can do. If you have a non-German car, then dexos1 is about the best in the non-German category.

Thank You for the link, this will be a interesting reading.

I am looking oil for my 1989 Ducati 900ss, in owners manual is written that it needs AGIP SINT 2000 or equivalent, which is 10w40 oil, bike manufacturer do not specify to use motorcycle oil aka "4T". So I am looking for automotive oil, bike has a dry clutch so this shouldn't be a problem. I want to use 0W40, because of easier cold start. As I understand oils changed a lot in 25 years and manufacturer recommendation may not be the best what I can use now of what is available.
smile.gif

If you like to have German Qualtiy Oils and dont want to pay premium prices, go for:

- Fuchs
- Meguin
- Ravenol

Ravenol is nothworthy because they have a huge selection and some hard to find specialized Liquids and Oils.

And there are also
-Mannol
-Rowe
-Addinol
-SWD
-Eurolub

All these companys are small, but knwon, thrustworthy brands.

Addinol are especially noteworthy, they produce two 5w-40 with MB 229.5 approvals, one under their own name (addinol super light 0540), the other (which is rumored to be identical) is sold as "high star sae 5w-40". Both are group III, and both are quite cheap (5 Liters cost less than 20 €).
"high star" has been sold for years as the private brand of "Praktiker" home improvement store chain, and despite lacking official certifications, was very well regarded amongst car enthusiasts as good value for money. 5 liters could be had for 15€, when on sale (which happened at Praktiker constantly, in the end result killig them.) And shortly after Praktiker went bankrupt and Addinol started selling high star under their own name, the oil suddenly sported official 229.5...

And while some other brands may be blenders only, Addinol owns parts of infraleuna, a refinery complex. Motor oils are just a small part of their business, they make most of their money with industrial lubes.

Fuchs Petrolub also make lubricants for nearly everything, including industrial lubes. In the automotive area, they are very strong in oem business, providing the factory fill for a wide range of manufacturers.

If I understand you right, you want to use the oil in a motorcycle. Even though your Ducati has a dry clutch, there might be another problem: the gearbox. Do engine and gearbox share a common oil? If so, then you may want an oil that is especially shear-stable, and you may not want friction modifiers, as they can make your oil to "slippery" for the synchroniser discs to work properly. (Old Saab gearboxes want 10w-40 engine oil, and as we found out, the cheapest possible. The better the oil, the worse gear changes get...)
The first point might steer you towards PAO or at least heavier grades, the latter to motorcycle oils.

Last edited:
would anyone know who makes the LIDL (15w-40) and ALDI (10w-40) oils? spcifically the Germans might know, and I seem to got you all in 1 thread now...

These could be very shear stable and good value, certainly for use in a small engine if not for high shear (non-extended drain) applications.

LIDL sometimes seels a 5w-40 synthetic branded as supertech, but I doubt there's any relationship with the USA supertech. Supertech USA uses rebranded oil anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back