Kia optima tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the kia optima comes with nexen tires after they wear out really quick, what High Performance All Season tire should i get?

Thanks Graham

Why a high performance all season? That's a family car. I like Michelin defenders. A lot of people like general altamax rt43s

Hpas tires do poorly in snow, aside from a few

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Why a high performance all season? That's a family car. I like Michelin defenders. A lot of people like general altamax rt43s

Its a turbocharged engine and i want as much grip as possible to help with torque steer and understeer, the boost comes on quick through corners.

Last edited:
There are lots of turbocharged Cars on the market now. That does not make them high performance. Tires are an expensive way to mask under steer, a rear sway bar is a better way, and as for torque steer its a part of the chassis dynamic and not really going to go away with tires.

That's a mid size family sedan according to KIA, putting high performance tires on it wont turn it into something else, you will just spend a lot more in tires because they are expensive, and wear almost as fast as those nexens.

There are lots of turbocharged Cars on the market now. That does not make them high performance. Tires are an expensive way to mask under steer, a rear sway bar is a better way, and as for torque steer its a part of the chassis dynamic and not really going to go away with tires.

That's a mid size family sedan according to KIA, putting high performance tires on it wont turn it into something else, you will just spend a lot more in tires because they are expensive, and wear almost as fast as those nexens.

Very Good Points. Thank you

Last edited:
+1 on the suspension comments, proper geometry and corner weighting makes an enormous difference to grip and handling.

To answer the OPs question - if you want gripper tyres you won't get much better than Yokohama AO32 or the AO48.
They don't last very long but they stick like superglue

Originally Posted By: Grambo

Its a turbocharged engine and i want as much grip as possible to help with torque steer and understeer, the boost comes on quick through corners.
Either the suspension setup is lousy or you are driving like whack job.

Answer the guy's question. It's always said it's more fun to drive a slow car quick than a quick car slow.

Sounds like a nice ride, a real sleeper, and will glide by cops.

I've had some experience making our three Camrys handle, for starters, a front strut tower brace, better shocks, and wider wheels and tires have good payback. After that it gets more expensive...coil overs, solid bushings, a rear brace, thicker sway bars, ect. To keep the ride quality, I don't suggest more than the first three, but in any event it takes more than a different "type" of tire. Yoko does make some good products.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Answer the guy's question. It's always said it's more fun to drive a slow car quick than a quick car slow.

Sounds like a nice ride, a real sleeper, and will glide by cops.

Thank you Eljefino, its really a quick car, A real sleeper, i didint believe it till i drove the top trim. BTW they do turn optimas into race cars not saying my street car is a racecar but out of the box they are really fun.

watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHsAs5UDRU

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Cooper CS5 Grand Touring. I think they even have an Ultra Touring version on the CS5. Great tire

Just installed High Performance Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 235/45-17 W speed rated on 2000 MB E430. Didn't have much mileage to have an opinion about performance/handling but it is quiet and nice ride.

Originally Posted By: Grambo

Sticky tires will have lower treadlife. Unfortunately no such thing as tires with maximum grip and super long treadlife. All tires are a compromise. If you want good grip in all season in NY you should run winter tires in winter and summer tires in spring/summer/fall.

Last edited:
Grambo,

If you haven't already, you might want to spend some time on a Kia forum where experienced users might be able to answer your question.

I can tell you that the SXL comes with 225/45-18 tires and a bit stiffer suspension than the lesser trims. With that, you might want to be concerned about ride quality...and getting something in the Grand Touring category might fit the bill unless you're trying to get the most handling possible out of it regardless of how it rides.

As mentioned, you may need two sets of winter and three season tires in your location which puts an additional spin on it if you need an all-season with at least decent light snow abilities.

Originally Posted By: Olas
+1 on the suspension comments, proper geometry and corner weighting makes an enormous difference to grip and handling.

To answer the OPs question - if you want gripper tyres you won't get much better than Yokohama AO32 or the AO48.
They don't last very long but they stick like superglue

Might want to make a recommendation that's actually available to the OP and meets his criteria.

High performance tires are not DOT LEGAL racing tires.

The pilot sport AS/3 is the current benchmark for ultra high performance all season.

The OP has no need to justify his choices people who are basically trolling him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back