Sudden Oil Consumption Causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...in addition to my post above, i want to also thank Joe90_guy for his contributions. This has been an interesting thread for sure.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I have 180,000 miles on my accord and never had to add a drop of oil between oil changes. The oil level never goes down even with a 7500 OCI.

Ok, it's mainly a Civic thing.

My '99 Civic with 210k on it uses less than 1/4 quart on 7-8k OCIs. When I bought it used 100k ago, it would need 1/2 quart on 5k OCIs. I've used different brands and the one that I've seen the lowest consumption on is the M1HM I've been using.

I'd prefer it not require any oil in between changes but I'll take 1/4 quart.

So it is now 6500 miles since last oil change and oil consumption has decreased dramatically. Maintenance minder says 20% oil life and I have only had to add about 1/4 quart since having to add one quart at 3200 miles. This car obviously did not like the Peak conventional oil and I will be sticking with QS Defy 5W-20. Thanks for all the info.

I had this happen on an Accord 4 cyl. I changed out the pcv valve with an oem version around 120k. Topped off with a quart of MaxLife and no more consumption noticed when I sold it with 166k miles.

My friend who is a tech at a Honda dealer said the internal springs in the pcv valves tend to break around 60k miles.

No, it was Peak conventional 5W-20.

Now that you mention pcv valve Silver, I did also change the pcv valve which was most likely the original to an oem. Therefore, since two variables were changed (pcv valve and Peak to QS Defy), my oil consumption could well have been a bad pcv valve instead of engine disliking Peak. Regardless, I am not switching back to Peak next oci to find out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back