Corvette UA0 with Redline 5w30: High Lead

Car is a 2006 Corvette Z06. I bought it from an old geezer (older than me!). So it wasn't abused. Been putting Redline 5w30 in every 4k miles. Car is a daily driver with 2 Auto Cross days (car would be driven harder on a canyon cruise)

Car uses about 1/3 of a guart every oil change which is pretty good in my experience. The oil pressure is unchanged and very good since I took ownership.

Please give me your input on the lead content !!!

cheers3.gif

DH

Car is a 2006 Corvette Z06. I bought it from an old geezer (older than me!). So it wasn't abused. Been putting Redline 5w30 in every 4k miles. Car is a daily driver with 2 Auto Cross days (car would be driven harder on a canyon cruise)

Car uses about 1/3 of a guart every oil change which is pretty good in my experience. The oil pressure is unchanged and very good since I took ownership.

Please give me your input on the lead content !!!

Also whats up with the fluctuating Magnesium ??

cheers3.gif

DH

Redline 5w30 has virgin viscosity at 100c of 11.9cst, HTHSv of 3.7 and NOACK of 6%.

Blackstone didn't seem to realize this.

While your lead is higher than universal averages, your iron is lower.

Maybe change oil. What do GM say you should use? Isn't it M1?

That would certainly get your iron in line with the universal average.
27.gif
grin2.gif

Looks like main bearing or cam bearing wear. Both contain copper & lead underneath a steel coating. Most likely cam wear because LS engines are known to chew up cams. Worn cam bearings won't cause extra oil consumption, it'll just wear the camshaft out over time.

I'd crack open the valve covers and take a look. If the cams look fine then main bearings = huge PITA.

Lead at 39ppm is not high.
When you get above 50 ppm then monitor. Above 100ppm indicates there MAY be a problem.
The same for Iron.

Last edited:
I'd try the obvious. Try a more viscous oil. While it's impossible to predict where the lead is coming from, it could be from highly loaded bearings and insufficient viscosity.

A simple move to a more viscous oil of the same type and brand, followed by another UOA may be illuminating.

In years past, highly loaded CSB's performed very well on oils heavier than what you are using.

Your engine develops it's higher power through increased displacement. Creating higher bearing loads. a GM press release that says the pistons themselves are 482 grams and the rods are 464 grams. I don't know if they reciprocating weights are more than the LS3, but I suspect they are. This would also lead to increased bearing loads.

After reading up just now that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 has a NOACK of 13, I just can't recommend Pennzoil products anymore.

I would seriously pull out the Big Guns and go Amsoil SSO 0W40 for two OCIs and get another oil report.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo...etic-motor-oil/

I just don't think Red Line is working out on your car. And yes I agree with others the 30wt might be too thin!

Last edited:
What's wrong with using what GM specs; Mobil 1 5W30? I use that in my 93 LT1 and my 2001 LS1. It's a LOT cheaper than Redline at Walmart. You can't check 'cams' bearings by removing the valve covers. There's only one cam, it's in the block. Never heard of them chewing up bearings.

Originally Posted By: chrly919
What's wrong with using what GM specs; Mobil 1 5W30?

In the land of BiTOG, where every single PPM matters, other oils have consistently shown lower wear numbers in GM small-blocks. Red Line is not one of those, however.

Dirty:

I don't know a thing about Corvettes, so I cannot speak to the lead content. But you also asked about the magnesium. I'm pretty sure this is from a prior oil that had significant amounts of magnesium in its additive package. For some reason, magnesium is one of those additives that takes several OCIs to completely "wash out" of the engine. The fact that it is progressively lower with each UOA shows this.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'd try the obvious. Try a more viscous oil. While it's impossible to predict where the lead is coming from, it could be from highly loaded bearings and insufficient viscosity.

A simple move to a more viscous oil of the same type and brand, followed by another UOA may be illuminating.

In years past, highly loaded CSB's performed very well on oils heavier than what you are using.

Your engine develops it's higher power through increased displacement. Creating higher bearing loads. a GM press release that says the pistons themselves are 482 grams and the rods are 464 grams. I don't know if they reciprocating weights are more than the LS3, but I suspect they are. This would also lead to increased bearing loads.

^^This. GM now specs 15W50 if tracked or raced. You'd mentioned tacking your car to the track twice.

Originally Posted By: chrly919
What's wrong with using what GM specs; Mobil 1 5W30?

That's fine if you're just driving your car to the grocery store at 35 mph, but this guy is racing his Corvette.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GM now specs 15W50 if tracked or raced. You'd mentioned tacking your car to the track twice.

Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?

IIRC, GM uses M1 0w-40 in their Corvette Race Program. I'd suggest trying that. It is also like half the price, which is a nice plus.

I want to thank everyone for their input.

Here are some clarifications to questions asked.

1. Yes, I didn't notice that the Magnesium was indeed dropping every OCI
2. I use the stock Ac Delco recommended filter
3. I decided to use Redline because I was under the impression that it was the best and I was not concerned
about its cost. I was using Mobil1 0w40 on last car when road racing.
4. This Corvette is NOT being road raced like my last one. It will only see 1 AutoX per month. That equates to
about 10 minutes of hard driving in 2nd gear. This is easier than a cruise through the canyon. The motor
barely gets hot and there is no comparison to road racing.
5. Because I am not road racing I am not going to go with the larger oil capacity as I did on last car. I actually
have to try hard in low gears on street to get the oil up to 200* Mostly the car sees 150* and 50-60 psi.

Thanks
DH

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
GM now specs 15W50 if tracked or raced. You'd mentioned tacking your car to the track twice.

Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?

Here's some Z06 discussion:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3586726-15w-50-oil-for-track-events.html

You do realize you're linking to a C7 Z06 discussion, right? As I said before:

"Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?"

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie
Here are some clarifications to questions asked.

I'll do the same. Listen, DH:

1. Go to Walmart.
2. Get Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Fram XG10060.
3. Run for same mileage as you've been doing, and get another analysis.
4. Report back with the results.

Back