Oil Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 2011 Mazda Tribute GT with 3.0. It has 102,000km and appears all service has been done at the Mazda dealer. Invoices indicate 5W20 dino oil from the prices charged. I was thinking a Synthetic Blend like Mobil 2000 when I do the first service at 105K. Any suggestions or thoughts. In the last week zi have done a flush of the PTO/Transfer Case ,with a pump ,used Lucas 75W140 but it seems noisy so could be costly. Also did a transmission fluid change and added bottle of ATP 202 along with the new LV fluid, seems smoother with firmer shifts..

Thats the same as the Ford Escape 3.0L Duratec V6 here in the U.S.

For just a little more (here anyway) you can use a top-tier full synthetic oil like Mobil1 Extended Performance or Castrol Edge gold jug at Walmart in 5 quart jugs. Use a Fram Ultra oil filter, the best around for filtering and capacity, and you are good to go a full year or 15,000 km whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted By: Twomazdas
Recently bought a 2011 Mazda Tribute GT with 3.0. It has 102,000km and appears all service has been done at the Mazda dealer. Invoices indicate 5W20 dino oil from the prices charged. I was thinking a Synthetic Blend like Mobil 2000 when I do the first service at 105K. Any suggestions or thoughts. In the last week zi have done a flush of the PTO/Transfer Case ,with a pump ,used Lucas 75W140 but it seems noisy so could be costly. Also did a transmission fluid change and added bottle of ATP 202 along with the new LV fluid, seems smoother with firmer shifts..

I wouldn't use Lucas in anything...ever. Lucas=Junk. As far as Engine oil you cannot go wrong with any Mobil product if that is what is available to you locally.

Stay with a name brand such as Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil/Shell, Castrol, etc.

If you want a boutique oil then i'd recommend Amsoil.

Good luck with the new ride!

If your going to stick with standard OCI's then just stick with a quality dino. If you're going to stretch the OCI's then a synthetic would be good.

Products from SOPUS, Castrol, Mobil, ConocoPhillips are all quality.

Any oil that meets manufacturer specs & whatever OCI is in the manual...

Not sure if this 140 viscosity grade is clearly stated in your manual , I would be hesitant with a 140. Maybe it's just me.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Lucas is garbage as other use mentioned.

They have not invested in anything in decades.

Not sure with Lucas , I wouldn't mind any reputable brand names , but not a xxW140 viscosity

grade gear oil in the transfer case.

In Malaysia with ambient of 90ish F , a transfer case always use xxW90 or 85.

Even in 40 tonnes heavy construction equipments , no xxW140 gear oils was ever used in a

transfer case.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Mobil Super 2000 is a decent choice, but is there any leaking or consumption? I'm not sure if there's any need to move up from Mobil Super 1000, particularly if you're doing short OCIs. Synthetic isn't necessary, either, unless you're going to be very cautious about where and when to buy it, and I don't play games with Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire and their stupid sales any longer.

The Fram Ultra filter brings up a similar issue. While it's relatively cost effective versus other filter lines in Canada, it's still expensive. Check out other shops first, including the dealership, before comparing within Canadian Tire, Partsource, and/or Walmart. Canadian Tire will occasionally bring a Fram Ultra down to about $10.99. That's a reasonable price if compared to my Wix 51358. However, it's more than double the price of my Wix 51515. So, just be aware of what you're spending. Aside from the odd sale on the Fram Ultra and the M1 filter, Canadian Tire is a frightful place to buy filters.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Not sure if this 140 viscosity grade is clearly stated in your manual , I would be hesitant with a 140. Maybe it's just me.
blush.gif

Actually, Ford US has always speced a 75W-140 for the PTO on their 4WD optioned vehicles. They have also gone to specing it for rear differentials for quite some time. The rear diff spec was due to some poorly made gears that whine at certain speeds, so their Band-Aid was a thicker fluid.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: zeng

blush.gif

Actually, Ford US has always speced a 75W-140 for the PTO on their 4WD optioned vehicles. They have also gone to specing it for rear differentials for quite some time. The rear diff spec was due to some poorly made gears that whine at certain speeds, so their Band-Aid was a thicker fluid.

Threeputtpar , thanks for the heads up.
11.gif

IIRC ,xxW-140 gear oils are preferred where gear linear speed varies from 300 to 700 feet per

minute .

Most transfer gears of 4WD moves in thousands of feet per minute , rendering a xxW-140 too

viscous to be suitable IMHO.

Anyway, to each his own.
wink.gif

Ford has recommended ATF in their 4X4 transfer cases for many years. The rear differentials were 75W-140 or 75W-90. The fronts were mainly 75W-90. This was at least in "light duty" vehicles such as SUV's and F-150's, F-250's, possibly the F-350's.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Ford has recommended ATF in their 4X4 transfer cases for many years. The rear differentials were 75W-140 or 75W-90. The fronts were mainly 75W-90. This was at least in "light duty" vehicles such as SUV's and F-150's, F-250's, possibly the F-350's.

Whimsey

+1

Thanks for clarifying .......
blush.gif

Hey Twomazdas –Since you’re thinking about using a synthetic blend, we recommend Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-20 for your 2011 Mazda Tribute because it has been shown to clean out up to 40% of engine sludge in the first oil change. It has also been shown to keep pistons up to 10% cleaner than the toughest industry standards. Hope this info helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Gena, to which industry standards are you referring? Are they the current API and ILSAC standards, or are some of the OEM specifications to which Pennzoil Gold 5w-20 is certified more stringent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back