Torque Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
... and don't forget that cheapie HF torque wrench. Nothing makes you feel more like a pro than that satisfying click. You can then pat yourself on the back for a job well done, not like those "other hacks".

Actually it just makes me feel like I gave a sh*t about something and actually wanted to come within a city block of having it done right.

But hey... You go ahead and side with Dealership Dufus Dave the pill popper mechanic. Yep go ahead and side with a guy who loves dropping your hood from as high as he can lift it. Send him on a date with a daughter and your rear will pucker as he drives away in a car with that "qualty workmanship" you defended here.

Torque wrenches are for weenies hey? Pfft!

I'm not sure why you feel the need to typecast mechanics as drug addicts and that you are somehow more qualified than them to do repairs. I'm sure that most mechanics live a cleaner life than you. Mechanical aptitude is something that is developed over time and with experience. It sounds like you don't have much experience or time under the hood.

I manage an 11 mechanic shop. My mechanics do not torque every nut and bolt and I would discourage them if they did. In my shop, quality is the number one job. Period. If the repair is not 100% perfect, it is sent back to the mechanic. The time it takes to get it perfect is irrelevant. Most of the work is by hand with no air tools and only low power electric tools. Granted, I have well seasoned mechanics who are recognized as some of the best in the industry but there is no difference between them and other mechanics.

This is my shop. Our policy is to 'properly tighten' fasteners. Whether that means torquing, measuring bolt stretch, torque to yield, or by feel depends on the application.

x5C5wcS.jpg

Oh My God! Can you make the high resolution photo available? This is what garage pron should look like!!

FWIW I was an aircraft mechanic in the service and a shadetree for the past 35 years. I rarely use a torque wrench. However, lately i haven't done any engine rebuilds or anything that would really require one. Every bolt and nut doesn't need to be torqued. A decent mechanic has a good feel for it.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
That's four 959's but I think we had a total of seven at that time.

banana2.gif
banana2.gif

A bit off topic, but do you ever work on any of Ben Treynor's cars? He posts on another forum I am on, just bought his wife a FXXK to go with her 599XX.

There is a time and place for a Torque Wrench , is it on every fastener....no. There are key fasteners that to me need to be torqued, granted this is my opinion so take it or leave it. Major suspension bolts I torque, spark plugs I torque , engine gaskets I torque , brake caliper mounting and pin bolts i torque. As a line tech you simply cannot torque everything, it is to impractical and slow. I do also believe in using torque sticks on lug nuts/bolts.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Don't watch ericthecarguy or scottykilmer channel on youtube then lol

Doesn't sound like too much of a hardship.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
... and don't forget that cheapie HF torque wrench. Nothing makes you feel more like a pro than that satisfying click. You can then pat yourself on the back for a job well done, not like those "other hacks".

Actually it just makes me feel like I gave a sh*t about something and actually wanted to come within a city block of having it done right.

But hey... You go ahead and side with Dealership Dufus Dave the pill popper mechanic. Yep go ahead and side with a guy who loves dropping your hood from as high as he can lift it. Send him on a date with a daughter and your rear will pucker as he drives away in a car with that "qualty workmanship" you defended here.

Torque wrenches are for weenies hey? Pfft!

I'm not sure why you feel the need to typecast mechanics as drug addicts and that you are somehow more qualified than them to do repairs. I'm sure that most mechanics live a cleaner life than you. Mechanical aptitude is something that is developed over time and with experience. It sounds like you don't have much experience or time under the hood.

I manage an 11 mechanic shop. My mechanics do not torque every nut and bolt and I would discourage them if they did. In my shop, quality is the number one job. Period. If the repair is not 100% perfect, it is sent back to the mechanic. The time it takes to get it perfect is irrelevant. Most of the work is by hand with no air tools and only low power electric tools. Granted, I have well seasoned mechanics who are recognized as some of the best in the industry but there is no difference between them and other mechanics.

This is my shop. Our policy is to 'properly tighten' fasteners. Whether that means torquing, measuring bolt stretch, torque to yield, or by feel depends on the application.

x5C5wcS.jpg

I'd love to work in your shop. I always take the time to make sure my Rocco is 'right'.
It's a shame paying customers are more concerned with price and downtime than safety and correctness.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
OK, ignoring the obvious 300SEL on the hoist upfront, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a Porsche 959 just chillin' back there?

More impressively, (as much as I hero-worship the 959) is that a 356 in front of the 959?!

That is a 356 'Carrera 2' with the four-cam engine in front of the 959. There is another 356 parked backwards that is a super 90 and at the far end is a 356 with a 911 engine in it.

That is a 356 'Carrera 2' with the four-cam engine in front of the 959.

*swoon* What an amazing car and motor.

robert

I have just repacked my rear drum brake car wheel bearings and I think I have over- torqued the two hub nuts. In each case the spindle thread was coated in wheel bearing grease before the final torque was applied (173 pounds feet). My guess is that the effective torque would be up to 20% higher. If so I hope that the tolerance of the spindle can accept this torque value without thread stretching.

I should have torqued using dry spindle threads although I can't find specific information about this. Your comments would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
OK, ignoring the obvious 300SEL on the hoist upfront, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a Porsche 959 just chillin' back there?

More impressively, (as much as I hero-worship the 959) is that a 356 in front of the 959?!

That silver CSL is pretty cool as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back