2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero - Seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inheriting a 2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero wagon which is a 2.3L I4 16V MPFI DOHC turbo engine. The car has 185,000 miles on it and it runs super smooth. I understand that this vehicle was dealer maintained in it's early life and that the 2005s don't suffer the same sludge issues that plagued the earlier models. Like I said, I drove it recently and it runs really smooth with a good kick from the turbo. No leaks.

I'd like to do things right and the recent history of the car shows maintenance, but nothing special. A million years ago on here I heard about (and used) AutoRx on a Taurus. That was a good experience. I see now there are other options, and I've searched the boards, but it's a LOT more reading than there was 5 years ago!

So what would you do? Run a diesel oil (back then Delo400 was all the rage)? Rislone? AutoRx? I want to clean what is likely there to start off on the right foot. After that I'd like to eventually run a full synthetic if I can get away with it (no leaking).

Would someone be willing to run me thru the latest thinking on this?

Thanks in advance!

The car probably saw Mobil 1 0w-40, which is an extremely good oil for robustness, long drain capability, etc.

I'd personally keep running it and just do a pan drop and/or valve cover removal if you're curious about cleanliness. Both could probably use a re-seal these days anyway.

If you find something, then we can think about a regimen, otherwise leave alone.

I ran a lot of different products trying to quiet a cold start lifter tick and can say factually that the only thing that worked at all was B-12 chemtool. And no way I'd run that unless I really had to.

So investigation first is prudent.

Everyone thinks that when they get a car they need to flush the engine and clean it spotless. Even if it is varnished up it isn't hurting anything, just get to regular oil changes and worry about other parts of the car.

I'd sell it and get something else while it still runs ok.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Everyone thinks that when they get a car they need to flush the engine and clean it spotless. Even if it is varnished up it isn't hurting anything, just get to regular oil changes and worry about other parts of the car.

I'd sell it and get something else while it still runs ok.

+1... It runs great, what should I do to it?? Nothing. I'm running T6 in a very neglected Passat 2.0T. The first time I changed it the oil was black as coal the day after it was changed. I'm not doing a cleaning 'regemine' because it runs great and, not that it matters, but it will clean itself up with some proper maintenance. No need for using this oil to clean for xxx miles, and then using what you really want to use.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd personally keep running it and just do a pan drop and/or valve cover removal if you're curious about cleanliness. Both could probably use a re-seal these days anyway.

So investigation first is prudent.

+1. Don't bother with Auto Rx.

Hello, We have that car in our family...a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero w/2.3L I4.
Steady diet of Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula. Just run the engine as others have said.
Drive the car. It's a good one.
We've had 6 Saabs go through the stable.

I've only had to change tailgate struts and a bad CPS (crankshaft positioning sensor) in the '05 lately. That car, incidentally, came through Virginia. It's been an extremely sound vehicle.

If you want to do something, get your 24mm wrench and dump the transmission's contents. See how dirty THAT might be.
Have a replacement 18mm aluminum washer at the ready.
Replace with Mobil 3309 fluid (avail. Amazon) or Valvoline MaxLife LV. I've used both with great success. I also recommend Wolf's Head Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid.

Regarding selling it: Use the Saab boards' web sites. For parts go to eeuroparts or FCPeuroparts (the old FCPGroton). For used parts go to Goldwing Saab (western NY State)

Also, what does the coolant look like? It came with Dex-Cool. It likely has a mix (BAD-CHANGE IT OUT).
I've converted Dex-Cool to G-05 as well as cleaned them up and gone back to KNOWN UNCONTAMINATED Dex-Cool).

Use only the specified spark plug (it's matched to the ignition cassette).
See when the cabin air filter was changed too. The glove box comes out easily and three press-in rivets hold the evaporator's bulge in the passenger's footwell. A plastic cover has torx screws and there you see it. If it has never been changed you'll see plastic crosses holding the filter AND a huge charcoal pillow in place. Break the plastic and remove the old. The replacement filter is just that. There'll be no big charcoal pillow.

PM me if you want to talk Saab. I'll help if I can. Kira

Thanks! I appreciate the offer. I suspect I'll be in touch here and there, although I hope to not have that need.

There are two items bugging at the moment. The first is all the buttons on the radio, climate control, etc are 'sticky' -- Like there's a coating that's failing. Have you encountered this? Second the power door lock button in the center console isn't actuating the doors. I'm about to try jumping it to see if it's the switch or if it's a wiring issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back