Timing Belt Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently changed the timing belt on my 95 Civic 1.5L and am having an issue. The timing belt is making a sound that I can only really describe as a sticky sound. As in the sound that maybe a sticky shoe would make. I first thought this was an issue related to my tensioner, I have tried 2 different tensioners, one was OEM, 2 new timing belts, and a new tensioner spring. I know it is the timing belt, because I have removed the 3 other belts and ran the engine briefly and the sound remains. The sound stays the same, regardless of tensioner, or tension.

I am at a loss for what is causing the sound, but it definitely isn't normal and I am worried about premature timing belt failure if I just ignore it. For full disclosure I have also changed the water pump and front crankshaft and camshaft seals at the same time. I would greatly appreciate any input or insight into this issue.

Thank you.

How long have you driven it? I'd put 50 miles on it and see how it goes. If the sound doesn't go away take the timing belt back to where you got it and get a new one.

Originally Posted By: Fredrick
I know it is the timing belt, because I have removed the 3 other belts and ran the engine briefly and the sound remains. The sound stays the same, regardless of tensioner, or tension.

Could the sound also be described as a whirring?

How much slack is there in the belt? With the engine at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder, use your ratchet to turn the engine counter-clockwise 3 teeth only, then hold it there. Now, with your finger, push on the run of the belt that goes between the camshaft and the water pump until all the slack is taken up. How far can you move the belt? 3/8" ? Less? More?

Some older cars have a specific timing belt tensioning procedure.

Example: I had a '91 MX-5; if I remember right you had to tighten the tension pulley bolt while the engine was on top dead center, then turn the motor over by hand a certain distance, followed by first loosening the bolt and then torquing it to spec.

Did you follow the instructions to the letter in the repair manual?

What brand of parts are you using? Aisin timing kits are usually the most trustworthy.

Both replacement belts I have tried have been Gates, an Aisin water pump, and an AC Delco Tensioner and a NSK (OEM) Tensioner. I have put 10 miles on it so far, sound has only gotten a little louder if anything. I have followed the correct tensioning methods from the factory service manual. This requires setting #1 to TDC, loosening the Tensioner bolt 180 degrees and turning the crank counterclockwise 3 teeth on the cam pulley and then tightening the Tensioner. I have repeated this process multiple times and I have even tried varying this process and the tension seems to have no effect on the noise at all.

I'm not sure I would describe the sound as a whirring, but maybe. Also, I am not sure on the slack, I can report back on both issues tomorrow.

I appreciate all of the assistance.

After the timing belt was changed on the 95 Cirrus, it was making some funny noise. I talked to the mechanic that did the work, and he advised me to let it run in for a few hundred miles. By the time I put the miles on it, the sound was gone.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
After the timing belt was changed on the 95 Cirrus, it was making some funny noise. I talked to the mechanic that did the work, and he advised me to let it run in for a few hundred miles. By the time I put the miles on it, the sound was gone.

+1 It sounds to me like the belt is getting used to its new surroundings. Give it some time and if it is still making the noise I would return the belt. Was it an OEM? Stuff like that I always say go with the OEM.

I will post a video tomorrow, thank you all for the help.

I am not sure if Gates is the OEM for that belt. The belt I was replacing was a Gates belt and did not make the noise.

Last edited:
The new belt needs time to mold itself to the coged pullies,nothing is perfectly machined.

How long has it been on there? I just remembered that when I changed my 97 Camry's timing belt it made that same noise, made me worry but after a drive around the block the sound went away.

How long between changing it again ? Is it 60k miles or 90k more ?? My lady got a 98 Camry from her grandmother. Great car. It had been changed at 63k. It only had 67k miles on it when we got it. So it is awesome that it had been done. Just wondering how long it had to go before changing it again??

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How long between changing it again ? Is it 60k miles or 90k more ?? My lady got a 98 Camry from her grandmother. Great car. It had been changed at 63k. It only had 67k miles on it when we got it. So it is awesome that it had been done. Just wondering how long it had to go before changing it again??
The owners manual calls for replacement every 90,000.

I replaced my Camry's original timing belt at 186k miles and it was very cracked but didn't break yet.

Just make sure the water pump, tensioner, and idler pulley has been replaced when the timing belt was replaced. My 97s pulleys and water pump didn't turn real easily. Pretty restrictive and could have failed soon.

My 2000 Camry had it done 40k miles ago so I'm good to go for quite a while.

They're non-interference engines so it's no big deal if it breaks.

AS Tegger asked- if it's making what can be described as a whirring noise, and also the noise you described (generally with the covers off), a sticky noise, it's because the belt has been adjusted too tight.

Awesome man. I appreciate the heads up.
smile.gif

This really is a doggone nice little car. Very grateful to have it. Plus... Easy to work on versus my Altima
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Fredrick
I know it is the timing belt, because I have removed the 3 other belts and ran the engine briefly and the sound remains. The sound stays the same, regardless of tensioner, or tension.

Could the sound also be described as a whirring?

How much slack is there in the belt? With the engine at TDC compression for the #1 cylinder, use your ratchet to turn the engine counter-clockwise 3 teeth only, then hold it there. Now, with your finger, push on the run of the belt that goes between the camshaft and the water pump until all the slack is taken up. How far can you move the belt? 3/8" ? Less? More?

Whirling sound usually means the belt is too tight, I am not sure if yours is auto tensioned or not.. Timing belt being properly tensioned, you should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees at it longest span without excessive effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back