Vehicle Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for a used SUV & have seen alot of Dodge Durangos I'm interested in buying. I'm wondering if anybody has had any significantly bad experiences that I might want to be aware of before I talk to the salesperson at my local dealership. I also would like to know good things as well that would help me in the buying decision.

All I can add is that one of my co-workers got a 2009 at a public auto auction for $3k. It looks great, 80k miles, and she has been driving it for a 6 months now with no issues. I seriously offered to buy it for $6k, but she didn't go for it.

Anyways, perhaps the dealers are getting these cheap and have lots of room to negotiate?

I know that the first few years the Durangos, they had trouble with the front wheel assembly falling off. Other than the less than minivan size interior and 1/2 ton truck fuel economy they didn't have many problems from what I can recall.

My sister has owned three Durangos, since about 2001. Each one had to have front end work done between 50K and 80K miles. That seems to be the only issue she has had, but the work is fairly expensive.

My son owns a 2000 Durango and had similar issues.

In both cases (V-8's), gas mileage not very good for class of vehicle.

We've had a 2006 Durango for about 4 or 5 years now. Since my wife retired, we sold her Subaru and she now drives the Durango on a regular basis. It's large, comfortable, and the only non-maintenance item that I've had to fix was the transfer case shift motor. It was about a 15 minute, two bolt fix. Other than that it's been rock solid.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I know that the first few years the Durangos, they had trouble with the front wheel assembly falling off. Other than the less than minivan size interior and 1/2 ton truck fuel economy they didn't have many problems from what I can recall.

That's the front ball joint, same as the Dakota (shared platform). If it hasn't been done, a dealer will still fix it for free- it's a safety recall.

Wife had a 2003 we bought new. Very reliable, but the 4.7 V-8 engine sucked gas really bad. Dang thing averaged 13-14 mpg and best it ever got was 16 on a trip. It was rated for 18 hwy. by the EPA. BTW I have always got better than the EPA estimate because I drive carefully trying to be frugal. Be prepared to pay a lot for gas.

Few owners I know have have bits fail in front end early and complain that these vehicles are fuel pigs. Seems to correlate with posts on this board.

Alright so I test drove the Dodge Durango & they also had a Ford Expedition & I've read everything everybody had to say just wondering if anybody had anything to say about the Ford. I know I'm asking alot of questions just think it's wise to get the information from those who know vs the dealership that just wants my money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back