Best oil filter 2016 Subaru Legacy 3.6R H6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Tomorrow I'm doing ..... I think Wix, Napa Gold or Subaru OEM are the ways to go.

You could do worse than those. Yet, why do you think that paper-glass media oil filters like those are BETTER than dual layer, full synthetic media, wire-backed, best ISO 4548-12 filtering & dirt capacity, silicon ADBV, all found in an Fram Ultra?
Nobody has every been able to answer that. Maybe you could be the first. No? Thought so.
And, you can't answer, "because I like the brand Wix", since fan-boys don't count. Performance does.

Wix
51334XP.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
If the bypass valve threshold is too low for an application, in this case a Subaru, then it could spend too much time in bypass. Would need to determine if that is why some are saying the OEM oil filter has a big 23 psi pressure relief. Or does it? Most of the engineering discussions are centered around 4 cylinder ones.

Bypass setting is media dependent. You can't compare bypass setting for two filters with drastically different flow characteristics. Luckily my Subie says nothing about running a filter with a high bypass psi.

Just checked again. Nope, nothing in the manual.

I would think Fram or WIX or whoever makes an oil filter for these Subarus would have verified the bypass valve wasn't going to open too quickly for those engines that put out lots of oil volume.

As discussed a few times in the past, a filter's bypass valve setting is also dependent on the flow characteristics of the filter's media. If a filter is pretty flow restrictive when new, you wouldn't want the bypass valve setting very low.

Don't know why Subarus specifies such a high bypass valve setting on their OEM filters. It could be a combination of many factors - media flow characteristics, max engine oil volume, max oil viscosity, debris loading factor, potential cold revs, etc. When oil is hot (200+ F), it would take a pretty restrictive filter to cause 23 PSI of delta-p across it ... even at 10 GPM of flow.

Yes, that Subaru 23 psi relief is puzzling. When oil is cold, like below zero F, oil filters do take a hit of pressure. Yet, one would think 12 psi on an Ultra would be OK.

Tomorrow I'm doing ..... I think Wix, Napa Gold or Subaru OEM are the ways to go.

You could do worse than those. Yet, why do you think that paper-glass media oil filters like those are BETTER than dual layer, full synthetic media, wire-backed, best ISO 4548-12 filtering & dirt capacity, silicon ADBV, all found in an Fram Ultra?
Nobody has every been able to answer that. Maybe you could be the first. No? Thought so.
And, you can't answer, "because I like the brand Wix", since fan-boys don't count. Performance does.

When my warranty requires 6K miles or 6 month oil changes, I don't see the value in buying a Fram Ultra filter. If I was doing longer intervals, then yes.

Many may be unaware of the Wix XP line of filters - Wix's best. I'm currently running a WIX 51356XP on my 2001 Legacy. I notice that its max flow rating is 9-11 gpm, whereas another filter posted on this thread lists only 3 gpm. Not sure why there's such a large discrepancy between brands

Why is the Wix better for me? Because I can buy it for $4.52, (not $8 or $10 for an Ultra) AND Subaru calls for 6K OCIs, not extended ones AND the Wix specs at 27 psi bypass setting. Plus it's a leased car---why spend more for someone else later? Capiche?

Originally Posted By: mivenho
Many may be unaware of the Wix XP line of filters - Wix's best. I'm currently running a WIX 51356XP on my 2001 Legacy. I notice that its max flow rating is 9-11 gpm, whereas another filter posted on this thread lists only 3 gpm. Not sure why there's such a large discrepancy between brands

The "flow rate" spec is basically useless if there is no delta-p and oil weight/temperature associated with it. That flow rate of 3 GPM on the Ultra is probably at some low delta-p value. Fram doesn't say, but that's my guess knowing how filters typically flow.

If a cellulose PureOne can flow 12 GPM with 5 PSI delta-p (see graph I posted a few posts back), I'm sure an Ultra can flow even better because it's full synthetic media.

No clue where the low flow rate of the Ultra comes from on their page. The Ultra flows 10gpm with 4psi delta p. This means its max flow rate is much higher and much higher than the oil pump is capable of. But this is at 180F and 30w oil. Not sure about cold oil.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Wix is rated 21 microns but the by-pass valve setting is 8-11 PSI.

dm2o8j.png

^Wrong filter. Ok, it is the filter listed for this model but if you want the correct bypass, it would be a different filter. Wix filter number should be 57055. The 51334 is one that "fits" but is not really for Subaru-specific use. And you misread the filtering capacity. Nominal ratings are useless The Beta is 2/20= 6/20 so it is 95% @ 20 microns (if you trust them).

I am another Subaru owner with a Wix on BOTH Subarus.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Wix is rated 21 microns but the by-pass valve setting is 8-11 PSI.

dm2o8j.png

^Wrong filter. Ok, it is the filter listed for this model but if you want the correct bypass, it would be a different filter. Wix filter number should be 57055. The 51334 is one that "fits" but is not really for Subaru-specific use. And you misread the filtering capacity. Nominal ratings are useless The Beta is 2/20= 6/20 so it is 95% @ 20 microns (if you trust them).

I am another Subaru owner with a Wix on BOTH Subarus.

My understanding is that the Wix 57055 is for the 2.5L models, the 51334 is for the 3.6L models. I do not know if Subaru specs the higher bypass valve setting on the 3.6L.

My understanding is that the Wix 57055 is for the 2.5L models, the 51334 is for the 3.6L models. I do not know if Subaru specs the higher bypass valve setting on the 3.6L.

Subaru is using the same bypass (23) for both the 3.6 and the 2.5. The 57055 is listed for the 2.5 specifically, but if you look at the 51334, you will also see it is listed for (2.5 Subarus... the EJs, Acrua, GM, Mitzu, and John Deere. The 57055 is a taller but skinnier filter so I do not know if there is any issue abut mounted below the engine.

Now, the 51334 is the recommended filter for my '99 2.5... that being said, I still use the 57055 and there as been zero issues.

You can get Fram Ultras at better prices also. I paid under $5 for some. I would use that over any Wix. Sorry no stock photo to post. Isn't the OE a Fram made filter? They are pretty cheap on Amazon. If I could afford a 2016 I would use the dealer for whatever they charge, or possibly a top choice like Royal Purple for about $10-11. Fram doesn't have a bad reputation or Honda and Subaru and others wouldn't be going to them.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You can get Fram Ultras at better prices also. I paid under $5 for some. I would use that over any Wix. Sorry no stock photo to post. Isn't the OE a Fram made filter? They are pretty cheap on Amazon. If I could afford a 2016 I would use the dealer for whatever they charge, or possibly a top choice like Royal Purple for about $10-11. Fram doesn't have a bad reputation or Honda and Subaru and others wouldn't be going to them.

The OEM were Honeywell-made filters. I am not sure what happened after the FRAM ownership change. However, they had some fairly poor filtration spec. They were 22/40=2/20 (50% @ 22 and 95% at 40). So the WIX with the higher bypass would be a lot better than the OEM filer.

The Ultra is great... but they do not make Subaru-specific bypass filters. Thus a lot of Subie owners would rather have the "exceeds" OEM filtration WIX with a high bypass than the "exceeds" OEM Ultra with the insufficient bypass.

How is an Ultra better than a WIX?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

The OEM were Honeywell-made filters. I am not sure what happened after the FRAM ownership change. However, they had some fairly poor filtration spec. They were 22/40=2/20 (50% @ 22 and 95% at 40). So the WIX with the higher bypass would be a lot better than the OEM filer.

The Ultra is great... but they do not make Subaru-specific bypass filters. Thus a lot of Subie owners would rather have the "exceeds" OEM filtration WIX with a high bypass than the "exceeds" OEM Ultra with the insufficient bypass.

What're these guys? Not sure if it is the right one for the appl. but it looks like a Fram. If I had a 2016 anything I wouldn't play with anything other than OE filters for at least five years.
http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters...baru+oil+filter

What're these guys? Not sure if it is the right one for the appl. but it looks like a Fram. If I had a 2016 anything I wouldn't play with anything other than OE filters for at least five years.
http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters...baru+oil+filter

Back when Fram was under Honeywell, it was most definitely Fram-Honeywell. Honeywell sold Fram to the Rank Group so I don't know if OEM filters stayed with Fram or stayed with Honeywell or went to another group.

If you are thinking that you are getting a better product with an OEM branded filter, you might not be getting it. It is better than using non-spec filters but there are other brands (Wix) that offers the bypass and better efficiency. So...

And for those Fram folks, I would love to use the Ultra... once they match the higher bypass spec-ed for my vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back