Garage lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ton of bugs that fly into my garage when i am out there in the evening with the lights on. These moths later die in the window sills and everwhere.
Is there better lighting to prevent this? right now i have simple bulb holders with cfls.
Are yellow incandesant bulbs ( bug bulbs) really less visible to insects? How about the yellow cfl bulbs?
You should see the front door lights and garage end lights, covered in bugs.

Any suggestions ( other than moving lol)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Run a fan?

Set up a bat house to attract bats?

LOL i do have bats, I have thought about building bat boxes for the novelty of it. I have a lot of fields around me and woods also.

I can hold my 18650 flashlight still at night and watch the bats swoop in to get the moths following the beam!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Run a fan?

A fan might be a good idea! never considered that.
Would a whole house fan work, to suck them out of the garage ? Or a positive pressure fan to keep them from flying in?

Birdhouses and bird feeders, including hummingbird, help.

Last edited:
Yes, lights with less UV and that run cooler (less InfraRed) will attract less moths and other insects. CFL's have a lot of UV. I've experimented with different LED's and all of them are better than incandescent or Halogen or CFL, but some are better than other.

Years ago I would turn on the Flood Lights (Incadesent) behind my house which attracted the insects, which then made a mess of the Vinyl Siding.
Then the Spiders would start coming around, they mad it messier.
So I stopped using the Security Lights.
Now that was all 15 years ago.

The last 5 years, I have had an LED bulb at my front door turn on every evening for several hours.
It does not attract any insects.
Bought at Home Depot / Cree 40 Watts / nothing special about it.

The weather (heat/cold) may affect insect populations.
I will not say with any authority that the LED does not attract insects.
But after reading this thread, I'm going to be buying a LED flood light for the back yard fixture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
which then made a mess of the Vinyl Siding.
Then the Spiders would start coming around, they mad it messier.

Yes exactly!! you know what i'm talking about!

So i will try the Leds on the front and garage end.

When working at night, we always have a floor High velocity fan blowing. Makes it windy and bugs leave you alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back