amsoil 20w50 MCV w/ TAN, ninja 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb

2009 ex250. carb. this latest sample was in use for 28 months. no traffic, no commute, just 60 mph backroads. upshifting got fussy- that's been my indication it's time to change. yet with the fuel % this oil needed to come out, correct?

Code:

OIL MCV 20W50 MCV 20W50 KAWASAKI DINO 10W40

MILES 2K 2.7K 1.4K

O&F CHANGED Y Y Y

MILES 11.7K 4.6K 1.8K

MAKEUP OIL 0 0 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 29-AUG-15 22-AUG-09 7-MAY-09

LAB OAI OAI OAI

IRON 6 11 13

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

NICKEL 0 0 0

ALUMINUM 22 35 19

COPPER 8 6 3

LEAD 0 1 0

TIN 0 1 1

CADMIUM 0 1 0

SILVER 1 0 0

VANADIUM 0 0 0

SILICON 7 8 20

SODIUM 1 2 1

POTASSIUM 1 1 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 41 40 0

ANTIMONY 0 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0 1

LITHIUM 0 2 1

BORON 2 11 146

MAGNESIUM 13 94 988

CALCIUM 3346 3048 628

BARIUM 0 1 3

PHOSPHOROUS 1119 1089 949

ZINC 1326 1302 1148

WATER 0 0 0

cSt @ 212ºF 16.3 15.7 9.7

FUEL 3.3
TAN 2.88 N/R N/R

TBN 9.66 4.56 8.31

OXIDATION 41 30 7

NITRATION 8 16 11

I have to wonder if you took this sample with the oil cold?

Just the fuel alone in the oil would not be a reason as it would boil off when hot , but i too would have changed it at that length of time.
The tbn was still there at 9.6.
The fuel is %3.3 but viscosity is 16.3. Not sure if this is right, the viscosity is higher than previous uoas that did not have fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

absolutely not. just returned from a 50 mile ride. bike was hot. i never short trip the bike. in fact i hadn't used the choke to start once the temps are above 75.
perhaps this is due to a maintenance item i have not yet performed (carb sync)? everything felt great on the bike.

Originally Posted By: pb
Originally Posted By: spasm3

absolutely not. just returned from a 50 mile ride. bike was hot. i never short trip the bike. in fact i hadn't used the choke to start once the temps are above 75.
perhaps this is due to a maintenance item i have not yet performed (carb sync)? everything felt great on the bike.

Hi,,,,not familiar with your bike, but does it use a vacuum operated petcock????
I once had a 250 Virago that the petcock malfunctioned in the constant on position========gas running raw through the carb while parked,,,,never would have known if I hadn't noticed the oil level in the sight glass had risen considerably.

Originally Posted By: VSTAR650

Hi,,,,not familiar with your bike, but does it use a vacuum operated petcock????
I once had a 250 Virago that the petcock malfunctioned in the constant on position========gas running raw through the carb while parked,,,,never would have known if I hadn't noticed the oil level in the sight glass had risen considerably.

it does, thanks for that. how old of a unit was your's once it began doing that? my fill cap makes the known squeak noise as the fuel expands (no evap canister on these). i haven't been hearing it lately so i wonder if it's venting the way you mention...

it does, thanks for that. how old of a unit was your's once it began doing that? my fill cap makes the known squeak noise as the fuel expands (no evap canister on these). i haven't been hearing it lately so i wonder if it's venting the way you mention...

The bike was late 80's vintage, I bought it used as a backup bike to run around on for when my Vstar was down for service/maintenance, the mileage was unknown as the odometer was broken when I got it. Sorry I can't offer more info.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I gotta ask why a 20w50 in a 250?. You need all the HP you can get with a 250 and you could be loosing a couple with that heavy oil. My opinion, FWIW.

got the same bike, same noise, you wouldn't happen to have Velcro holding your brake light would you?

sorry for delay, didn't get notification.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
I gotta ask why a 20w50 in a 250?. You need all the HP you can get with a 250 and you could be loosing a couple with that heavy oil. My opinion, FWIW.

butt dyno tells me it's no worse, and perhaps better. i appreciate the low noack. bike is a fair weather ride. always garaged.

Originally Posted By: markbto

got the same bike, same noise, you wouldn't happen to have Velcro holding your brake light would you?

sure do. normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back