GPS replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3.5" TOM TOM has served me well but, can't accept updates. I rarely use the picture feature but, listen to the voice commands. Would you suggest a replacement with lifetime map updates and a 4.5 to 5? inch screen? Thank you. Ed

Amazon had the Garmin LM55 on sale yesterday for $92. Unfortunately it is back up to its regular price of $114 today. Still a good unit at a good price. I bought the older LM52 model for my dad a while back. He likes it.

However, it does not provide traffic info, so if you need that, you should look to one of the higher end models.

Personally, I just use Waze on my phone these days.

The only GPS I use is handheld for backpacking or a waterproof unit for motorcycle.

I use the phone or built in for cars anymore.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-car-gps/

This. I used this website's advice and bought the $199 Garmin Nuvi 2539LMT (lifetime free maps and free traffic). It is excellent and the best GPS I have ever used.

I still have the Garmin Nuvi 55LM in my other car, which is probably the best "budget" GPS out there.

What I really like on the 2539 is that it has a glass capacitive screen (basically like your smart phones with pinch to zoom) Most other GPS's have a resistive screen which makes it terribly difficult to move the map around or to zoom in at a different part of the map somewhere else in the city. The 2539 screen is so easy to maneuver, zoom in or zoom out. Its much more intuitive and makes the GPS more like an actual map since it is much easier to actually look at the map. Hope I'm making sense here.

I love the free map updates. You get a free new map quarterly, about every 3 months or so on average.

If youre not worried about how much data is used google maps or waze is good on a smartphone unless you're traveling cross country then the cellular can cut out. Google maps has an offline feature that can download maps to the smart device so an active connection is less important if you have built in GPS like a tablet.

I have 3 garmins for cars with lifetime maps and traffic (LMT). good thing about dedicated maps is the POI's points of interest like gas, banks and hospitals.

I also have a Montana 650 that is amazing. it can keep different functional profiles for car, motorcycle, hiking, bicycling and atv's and a bunch more. I also put topographical and street maps in there and can overlay them as needed. Theres even a way to capture google maps and convert them for use. You can export/import and share "tracks" with other offroad or hikers and can find them online a lot.

Last edited:
We have a Garmin Nuvi 2495 LMT. It's our first GPS so I can't compare. It wasn't very expensive and has lifetime (quarterly) updates. Has a 4.5 inch screen.

It serves our needs. I like the constant read out of speed limits, and the audible warning of school zones. It's sometimes hard to get it to understand where you want to go and the announcement of turns is sometimes barely in time.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Amazon had the Garmin LM55 on sale yesterday for $92. Unfortunately it is back up to its regular price of $114 today. Still a good unit at a good price. I bought the older LM52 model for my dad a while back. He likes it.

However, it does not provide traffic info, so if you need that, you should look to one of the higher end models.

Personally, I just use Waze on my phone these days.

Did you try both Garmin GPS and Waze on your phone ? If you did not will you borrow your Dad's GPS to compare ? TIA.

I never have GPS, and I do like Waze on my new smart phone. One time it directed to use surface streets to avoid big accident on highway, I came to destination about 30-35 minutes earlier than my friends who used normal highway route.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
We have a Garmin Nuvi 2495 LMT. It's our first GPS so I can't compare. It wasn't very expensive and has lifetime (quarterly) updates. Has a 4.5 inch screen.

It serves our needs. I like the constant read out of speed limits, and the audible warning of school zones. It's sometimes hard to get it to understand where you want to go and the announcement of turns is sometimes barely in time.

Change pronounciation to some other American/British language.....some are beter some are worst....

Update your languages via webupdater...and delete (manualy) those you dont need (you will free space on your unit....

Update speed limits and other things on www.poiplaza.com with POIloader

my 50 EU cents
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Did you try both Garmin GPS and Waze on your phone ? If you did not will you borrow your Dad's GPS to compare ? TIA.

I still have my own older Garmin 755t, but the traffic subscription on it is no longer active. Dedicated GPS like Garmin is great because it's dedicated to that one function. While I love the level of info that Waze provides on my phone, it becomes inconvenient when I need to take a call or do something else with the phone. Also, if you get into an area that has poor cell coverage, Waze won't work.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Update your languages via webupdater...and delete (manualy) those you dont need (you will free space on your unit....

I forgot to say....never delete english languages.....with them completely deleted unit will not work properly!

Thanks so much. It appears that the 55LM is the one that fits my wallet at this time and will review it in depth now. Thanks again. ed

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I still have my own older Garmin 755t, but the traffic subscription on it is no longer active. Dedicated GPS like Garmin is great because it's dedicated to that one function. While I love the level of info that Waze provides on my phone, it becomes inconvenient when I need to take a call or do something else with the phone. Also, if you get into an area that has poor cell coverage, Waze won't work.

Thank you Pete.

Since I never have a dedicated GPS so I don't know anything about it. I have a smart phone only 3 months so I'm still in learning curve.

A dedicated GPS is most useful for traveling salesman or someone who travel a lot, I think.

Waze or Google Map on smart phone is okay for occasional use, especially where we have good cell coverage. Since I never talk/text on phone while driving, when I have Waze I just leave it on while driving.

Can you load open street maps on that thing? There are apparantly precompiled open source maps in 2 and 4 GB sizes you can insert into your half-obsolete GPS via SD card or computer hookup.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I will check that eljefino but, there is no SD slot so it would need to be opened up. Ed

but it does connect to computer via usb, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back