C&P-NAPA Gold 1372, 8600mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in service on 2/20/15 and changed on 7/31/15 total accumulated miles on this filter was a tick over 8,600 miles with castrol edge black bottle 5w30 in my 2006 expedition 5.4 3v.

This is the NAPA equivalent to the motorcraft 800s.

The most interesting thong I noticed was that despite being stored gasket side down since 7/31 the can was still completely full of oil! Talk about a good seal on the ADBV!

Everything else looks pretty good I think. I'll say this much, that coil spring does an excellent job of keeping pressure on the filter canister

Not bad for a filter that can be bought for less than $4 if you catch their semiannual sale.

Non typical dome end bypass valve. Looks good, slightly wavy pleats but still did it's job.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Perhaps the winter use made it wavy?

Was it short tripped any?

Going back through the weather history I counted 7 days below 0*f and 3 of those were below -10*f, so that may account for the wavy pleats.

No short trips. It's a 20 mile drive to work or anywhere else, for that matter. Would have been about 500 miles of towing, but nothing real heavy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks great! What did you replace it with?

Replaced it with a Bosch distance plus and castrol edge EP (gold bottle) for a 10k oci and a margin of safety for personal comfort.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Non typical dome end bypass valve. Looks good, slightly wavy pleats but still did it's job.

I can see why it looks that way, but it has the typical gasket end bypass. The filter end is solid on the dome end. Not sure what that tang is on the inside (last pic).

After seeing how well the ADBB did after a month of sitting, I would highly recommend this filter to anyone trying to solve a dry start problem.

That being said, mine still rattles occasionally, but I feel safe saying that in mu case it has nothing to do with the filter.

The most interesting thong I noticed was that despite being stored gasket side down since 7/31 the can was still completely full of oil! Talk about a good seal on the ADBV!
======

seems the oil would flow thru the media and out the center hole?

Originally Posted By: meborder

Not sure what that tang is on the inside (last pic).

That's the bypass valve. Which is typically on the base end on WIX/NAPA Gold filters.

That's the bypass valve. Which is typically on the base end on WIX/NAPA Gold filters.

You are correct! Not sure how I missed that last night.

Odd that they would depart from the norm on this filter.

Going to do an oil change on the Subaru soon. I'll take the ole razor wheel to that one too and see what the Subaru approved bypass looks like.

Meh, media is thin and gap spaced.

not bad, did it's job, but you can bet if Wix cans were clear they would have nice tight even pleating.

It is not sold as a synthetic filter but considered (by many) to be an upper tier cellulose filter.

To me, the media looks very even aside from the wavyness that occurred during use.

I think if all filters were clear, there is one major company that would go out of business save for their upper tier offerings.

To me it looks very good , especially considering the price.

But, YMMV,as they say.

Wix has been a great filter for years just hard for the average Joe to find sometimes they are at the high priced auto parts stores behind the counter. A lot of car guys like to pick their own filters not have it handed to them from an auto parts jockey.. We buy wix filters from a distributor wholesale and we are happy with them

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wix has been a great filter for years just hard for the average Joe to find sometimes they are at the high priced auto parts stores behind the counter. A lot of car guys like to pick their own filters not have it handed to them from an auto parts jockey.. We buy wix filters from a distributor wholesale and we are happy with them

You can walk into orileys and grab Wix right off the shelf. Napa version at Napa is gotten handed over the counter but that's how Napa does. Your welcome to open the box and inspect before buying. In fact sometimes they just open it and show you without you asking. Wix is dollar cheaper and has an extra pleat otherwise the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back