Best Daily Driver Car (Sedan or Hatch) for $16K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yeah Cruze is a good choice too. Feels and drives like a much more expensive car.

^^I agree. The one time I drove one it felt like a much larger car that it is,comfy,plenty of room,and felt really precision and solid. Engine felt really smooth and refined too. I saw an all black one today that looked great.

Originally Posted By: columnshift
For the money i'd second a Mazda 3... should be as reliable as honda/toyota without the "its a honda/toyota" premium everyone seems to pay endlessly.

it does not have the honda/toyota premium but the Mazda3 model specifically has a premium. Around here, dealers can sell used Mazda3 cars for just a few hundred less than new and more than decently equipped new Mazda6. Used Mazda3 cars hold value ridiculously good.

I think the OP needs to decide if he wants a new economy car or a recent model midsize or similar. His criteria's all over the map and he won't get a new Mazda3 for 16K.

A daily driver to me is a economy car that serves as a commuter module. His definition looks to be closer to something that's fun to drive with leather...and when new two years ago, he'd pay 5-7K more than he'll pay now...that he can get for 16K. Pretty broad.

mitsubishi lancer late model with low miles. crazy long warranty and inexpensive in the used marketplace. Made in Japan.

The problem with wanting leather is that it's usually included in expensive option packages-thus driving up the price of the car.

I would look at a used Cruze or see what you could do on a new Elantra.

Last edited:
I found a local dealer with a leftover 2014 Elantra Coupe I might have to go check out. Looks like it's loaded with pretty much every option except leather. MSRP is $21K, they have it advertised for $14,900. Looks like a really nice car for the price. This particular dealer also throws in a lifetime powertrain warranty on top of Hyundai's warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back