Best oil filter 2016 Subaru Legacy 3.6R H6

Status
Not open for further replies.
New legacy 3.6R H6.

Changed oil at 1300 miles (full synthetic) and used OEM Subaru "just in case".

Had to go back to dealer as they gave me the wrong crush washer and purchased another OEM filter. ($8) "just in case"! Hah!

I have used M1 and purolater pure ones in the past, now synthetic Pure ones, (rip scare)

So I was thinking of using the above filters but the newer Fram ultras are appealing, but old rep still scares me.
Plan on Subaru 6k OCI.
opinions?

OEM is the only filter I would consider for the early warranty period. If you go outside the OEM, then make certain you get a filter that meets OEM specs including the bypass pressure setting. Ed

You have not defined what "best" means, so you need to expect a WIDE range of answers.

My recommendation is this:
Use what you want, because what you need is just an oil and filter that meet the OEM criteria. And since you've already changed to syn, I expect that your version of best is whatever expensive product you can afford that also has a nice ring of peer concurrence.

Following the OEM OCI is not a bad idea when under warranty. But if that's all you're going to do, then you don't need syns or a premium filter anyway.

It is my opinion that you confuse wants with needs. What your engine needs, and what you want, are two totally different things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wix/Napa Gold

Yep. There are Wix filters with the correct bypass. I'm using them in my Forester.

Some aftermarket oil filters do not have the high bypass setting that Subaru specs. The 3.6R engine specs an oil filter with a high bypass setting. Wix sold incorrect oil filters for some Subarus at one time and came out with new oil filters having the correct bypass setting.
But that doesn't mean they have one for your engine yet?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Looks like Wix doesn't offer the correct oil filter for the 3.6R Subaru engine, yet.

I'm pretty sure the '16 Outback 3.6 is the very same engine as that in earlier Outbacks, at least '10 thru '15. Chances are, the search index hasn't been updated.

Here is another vote for the Wix/NAPA Gold. It is the only filter that I am aware of that meets the Subaru bypass valve spec. I know that Fram offers one model, but it isn't available in the Ultra series.

So my recommendation would be to either stay with the Subaru filter or go with the Wix/Napa Gold.

You may well be correct in your assertions about someone you don't know from Adam's house cat. Don't ask if you don't want the very hard truth that is bluntly stated I guess
smile.gif
which in all seriousness .. There is good in that at times too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You have not defined what "best" means, so you need to expect a WIDE range of answers.

Use what you want, because what you need is just an oil and filter that meet the OEM criteria. And since you've already changed to syn, I expect that your version of best is whatever expensive product you can afford that also has a nice ring of peer concurrence.

Following the OEM OCI is not a bad idea when under warranty. But if that's all you're going to do, then you don't need syns or a premium filter anyway.

It is my opinion that you confuse wants with needs. What your engine needs, and what you want, are two totally different things.

+1 - It deserves a repost.

M

So deep and philisophical!
Thank you to the ones that recommended a filter that meets any particular Subaru requirements.
Look, new car, enthusiastic, and want the best wether it is a waste or not.
I'll spend the extra ten dollars twice a year, put in a good synthetic and top filter and feel good. (Like I do to all my cars and motorcycles)
I guess it is more want than need....yet we all don't need much, just want it!

Well said...

Originally Posted By: aircooled
Thank you to the ones that recommended a filter ...........

I was about to write the same words, dnewton3 tends to not understand that sometimes people just want the best filter they can find, without waxing poetic about motivations all day.
Fram Ultra for sure,
rap6bot.jpg

Is the relief setting of 12 psi too low?

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
So my recommendation would be to either stay with the Subaru filter or go with the Wix/Napa Gold.

The Wix-NAPAgold oil filter 51334 lists an "8-11" psi bypass valve. Kind of ambiguous, and wondering if its right?

Maybe this is a case of: Better go with the OEM Subaru oil filter with the weird high bypass pressure, because Subaru engines flow a lot of oil for no apparent reason.....

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: aircooled
Thank you to the ones that recommended a filter ...........

I was about to write the same words, dnewton3 tends to not understand that sometimes people just want the best filter they can find, without waxing poetic about motivations all day.
Fram Ultra for sure,
rap6bot.jpg

Is the relief setting of 12 psi too low?

The Ultra is just fine in this application. The so called bypass spec is an imaginary spec/problem invented by the internet engineers born by people who have no clue how a filter works but latch onto a single number they found somewhere on the internet.

If the bypass valve threshold is too low for an application, in this case a Subaru, then it could spend too much time in bypass. Would need to determine if that is why some are saying the OEM oil filter has a big 23 psi pressure relief. Or does it? Most of the engineering discussions are centered around 4 cylinder ones.

Tomorrow I'm doing the first OC at 6 months in my 2015 Outback and am using a Wix 57055. This alone will tell the dealer on my 12K visit that an oil service has already been done. I also bought a pair of the Subaru filters from the dealer. I think Wix, Napa Gold or Subaru OEM are the ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back