Should Arby's be boycotted for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
I wonder if all who say this was just a 'joke' would find it amusing if a white worker refused to serve a black person at the drive thru as a joke? I'm seriously tired of the DOUBLE STANDARD in America when it comes to RACE.

If someone wears a 'black pride' tee shirt it's not a big deal but if someone wears a 'white pride' tee shirt he's immediately dubbed a 'racist'.

^^Agree 200%. A Caucasian slender Christian American male citizen can't be legally offended.

Small incident, big over-reaction by police.

A police report, a call to boycott Arby's nationwide, a call to have the President intervene. The Arby's CEO and executives meeting with the police chief.

But they got what they really wanted. A free meal for all cops on Friday! Yeh!

The 19 year old has since been exonerated. Well done to his grandfather for handling that. Why he's having to say "Officer's lives matter" when this is about a joke gone wrong and poor judgement by a 22 year old fast food manager, is beyond me.

The cops sure are sensitive and you have to wonder what their motivation was to blow this out of proportion. Would a nurse or teacher or autoworker after a similar interaction from a stupid young manager at a fast food place go and file a police complaint, get their union involved, call for the President to intervene and make a stink on social media. Utterly ridiculous.

The cop should actually be charged with wasting police time.

I would fire the employee and the manager. The manager should have corrected the situation and disciplined the employee, thats why they are a manager. The manager represents the company. But instead they gave bad customer service and gave the company an image and pr problem. Fire them both.
For those who say its a joke, would it be okay to joke that they don't want to serve them because they are
Asian ?
Black ?
Muslim ?
Mexican ?
Military ?

A mom an pop company can refuse to serve who the want, so can Arbys. Each will have to deal with the PR.
Question is, did the manager and the employee represent the image that Arbys wants to portray?
If they don't fire them, then yes thats their image and i would not spend money there.

The employee didn't do anything wrong. The manager made a joke and has been fired for it.

Had the issue not gone viral / had it not been a cop, the manager most likely would not have been fired. The manager is really only being fired because of the bad PR / fake outrage created by over sensitive cops.

"Davenport says that he didn't refuse Martin service, but he was so busy he had to ask his manager for help. He said that is when the manager made the unfortunate joke"

Originally Posted By: Benito
The employee didn't do anything wrong. The manager made a joke and has been fired for it.

Had the issue not gone viral / had it not been a cop, the manager most likely would not have been fired. The manager is really only being fired because of the bad PR / fake outrage created by over sensitive cops.

"Davenport says that he didn't refuse Martin service, but he was so busy he had to ask his manager for help. He said that is when the manager made the unfortunate joke"

Thats a different story than the one i first read! If it was the manager, then good for Arbys for firing them.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Moral of the story: Don't joke with cops.

....or 'minorities'....

PS: I think the whole Michael Brown incident was 'overblown'....we had a 300 lb THUG strong arm rob a store while high on drugs....he then walked down the middle of the street until a cop told him to get on the sidewalk at which point he became belligerent.
He refused and escalated the incident and then tried to take the police officers gun (most likely to shoot him)....Thankfully he was unsuccessful and was shot for his trouble...good riddance...and yes I feel the President has been purposely quiet because he agrees with the violence and destruction caused by protesting thugs...

The canonization of Michael Brown by the media does a disservice to real victims of police violence like the black man in South Carolina who was shot in the back while running away...

Police report filed, twitter outrage from the police chief, call for a NATIONAL boycott of Arby's and calling for Presidential intervention.

All this over such a major crime. (That was an ironic statement in case a cop is reading this ready to be offended).

Clearly the police and media have nothing better to do and this is just more false outrage.

Clearly the police and media have nothing better to do and this is just more false outrage.

I'm just curious , but whats the the other false outrage that this is more of?

Jon-Stewart-Arbys.jpg

arbys-jon-stewart-1024x576.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Moral of the story: Don't joke with cops.

....or 'minorities'....

PS: I think the whole Michael Brown incident was 'overblown'....we had a 300 lb THUG strong arm rob a store while high on drugs....he then walked down the middle of the street until a cop told him to get on the sidewalk at which point he became belligerent.
He refused and escalated the incident and then tried to take the police officers gun (most likely to shoot him)....Thankfully he was unsuccessful and was shot for his trouble...good riddance...and yes I feel the President has been purposely quiet because he agrees with the violence and destruction caused by protesting thugs...

The canonization of Michael Brown by the media does a disservice to real victims of police violence like the black man in South Carolina who was shot in the back while running away...

Indeed!

If this was a case of a black person being refused service by a white employee and or manager you can bet the mamie stream media would have had them being on public trial and destroyed their lives and those of the family members as well. Of course if you have any intelligence whatsoever you know that the mass media has an agenda of epic proportions and it is to destroy the white man.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I'm just curious , but whats the the other false outrage that this is more of?

See the post by antiqueshell above this one.

But rational people should be capable of distinguishing individual events on their individual facts. There is no need to conflate issues. That itself is a form of stereotyping.

Why should the incident in South Carolina be in any way affected by the Michael Brown press coverage?

Why should people not be able to on the one hand sympathize with the police officer involved in the Michael Brown incident while also recognizing that the real reason for the protests in Ferguson was actually uncovered in the DOJ report which showed that the city, through the police and courts were actively discriminating against the black population to raise funds from them through fines.

Police officers deal with childish behavior, nonsense, and stupid comments directed towards them, ALL DAY. When it's time for lunch, they just want to get their food and leave.

Union issue? Hardly...

But rational people should be capable of distinguishing individual events on their individual facts. There is no need to conflate issues. That itself is a form of stereotyping.

You mean like all of the rational blacks that destroyed the Ferguson and Baltimore neighborhoods?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
It's also not illegal to refuse service...

This was a bad joke.

If you have followed the story about the bakery refusing service to the gay couple( i.e. refused to bake them a wedding cake )I think you will see your theory is flawed.

If you refuse someone service you best have a good reason and one that would hold up in court. You can't refuse anyone for any reason you want. That is not legal.

I see a lot of signs at mom and pop restaurants that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Thanks,management."

And again, as I said, it best be a legit reason you can reasonably defend in court. You can not refuse service for "any" reason. A valid reason such as safety, what you are doing is disturbing the others, the person is trying to come in naked, etc... ok. Refuse service because of race, gender, you don't like the color of someone's clothes, etc.. and best of luck with that.

Last edited:
According to the police union, the actions of a few young employees represent the entire company? Does that logic also apply to cops? I'd think the union would have put a little more thought into this.

Arbys , I boycotted them over 30 yrs ago,,,I think, lol. If one must eat there, you're in bad shape. I have eaten at a zillion places when I was on the road, but Arbys not gonna eat there. Its right up there when I see folks order spaghetti at a flopsy mopsy restaurant,,,it is just stupid to eat roast beef there, really stupid, but I am from another time zone when you ate at home and I still prefer it, but if the Mrs wants a vacation or something, well I must give in, but it sucks at most chains, imho...Ok , rant over, she says its time for my meds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back