Is my engine warranty void? engine requires 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
The root thing to realize is the engineers are not secluded braniacs who live in ivory towers.

They have constant feedback from sales and marketing and designing a product that meets what Buyers expect, even without having to read the owner's manual.

For the specific issue with octane ratings, often they have to go back to the drawing board and compromise for Market reasons to satisfy what joe-normal buyer is going to do.

They have to tune their engines just so they can remove "premium required" to "premium recommended" to having "regular" statement. This is not for performance, but because the Sales guys are going to say there's no way we can sell this car in our market if it needs Premium, even if we price it slightly lower than the competition.

This isn't done happily, it's because they know that buyers and Sales numbers are what paying their paycheck.

If they build a car that doesn't work in the open market, they are out of a job.

So the round-about point is this:

Be assured, they've already idiot-proofed and designed the car for typical american use. They aren't going to build a funny 1-off car that only runs on European fuel or something like that, and sell it in the US, and have a "gotcha, your engine is blown up" for all the people who didn't read the owner's manual and read an explicit instruction.

Let alone in this case, the OP is deriving implicit instructions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Whatever will the OP do when he travels to Colorado and finds this:

DSC03532II.jpg

Maybe just leave the car at the pump and start walking?

OHHHH the Hours I have spent trying to explain this to my dad...

when they've traveled out west he insists that at pumps such as those pictured, he HAS to use the midgrade, "because the manual says always use a minimum of 87 octane, and specifically says to never use 85."

I've read that manual, the only thing is prohibits is E-85.
which he confuses with 85 octane (they both say 85!)

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The posted octane rating is for the blended fuel...the individual components are irrelevant.

Then why by law is "10% ethanol added" stickers required on gas pumps? The individual components do matter it seems.

I'm pretty sure the stickers say "May contain up to 10% ethanol".

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What is the octane rating of the nitrogen Shell adds?

If you can't burn it then there isn't one.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What is the octane rating of the nitrogen Shell adds?

If you can't burn it then there isn't one.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back