wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.bmcairfilter.com.au/porsche-918-spyder-assembly-line/

Porsche-918-Spyder-Assembly-Line-1-1.jpg

porsche918-25-1-1.jpg

porsche918-21-1-1.jpg

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/faq_faq_fq7_1.aspx

Very cool.

The wheel well behind the guy in the second picture makes him look pregnant!

Originally Posted By: Benito
Very cool.

The wheel well behind the guy in the second picture makes him look pregnant!

Hahaaa... i just realized that now that you mentioned it.

I just found it interesting that arguably the most advanced super car on the market is using what many bitogers consider one of the poorest air filter designs in history.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I just found it interesting that arguably the most advanced super car on the market is using what many bitogers consider one of the poorest air filter designs in history.

Not all foam filters filter poorly. The Amsoil filter comes to mind. It's the k&n brand that sucks

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Not all foam filters filter poorly. The Amsoil filter comes to mind. It's the k&n brand that sucks

This is a K&N type filter, not foam.

In an exotic car that will be driven 700 miles a year, under the best conditions, I don't see this being a problem.

A lot of the other Porsche guys who purchased these filters at outrageous prices ended up going back to paper filters after finding a lot of dirt in their intake systems.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
In an exotic car that will be driven 700 miles a year, under the best conditions, I don't see this being a problem.

A lot of the other Porsche guys who purchased these filters at outrageous prices ended up going back to paper filters after finding a lot of dirt in their intake systems.

I doubt the criteria Porsche used for filter selection is as dismisive as your attempt brush off its importance. Do you really think Porsche would chance this engine to "rock catchers" as many on here put it? Their Halo car? I respectfully disagree, as do Porsche's Engineers.

When I see the Porsche name the first thing that comes to mind is longevity and quality lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. Super cars especially. They obviously feel this filter will get the engine to 500k miles or they wouldn't have used it.

I would have to Agree. I would drive it more if I could justify the big $$$$ for the car and repairs/maintenance.

I doubt the criteria Porsche used for filter selection is as dismisive as your attempt brush off its importance. Do you really think Porsche would chance this engine to "rock catchers" as many on here put it? Their Halo car? I respectfully disagree, as do Porsche's Engineers.

Are your doubts; centered entirely on badge worship, any more valid?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
When I see the Porsche name the first thing that comes to mind is longevity and quality lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. Super cars especially. They obviously feel this filter will get the engine to 500k miles or they wouldn't have used it.

You've obviously never owned a 928, 944, or air cooled Turbo. 500k miles? No.

I did a little more research on this, and found that BMC themselves claim 98.5% efficiency on the ISO 5011 test, and go on to say:

"The panel / cylindrical air filter is commonly referred to as "replacement air filter". It is installed in the vehicle's original airbox to replace the OEM air filter. It is made of highly performing materials that allow an increased air flow combined with a more efficient filtration, guaranteeing containment of all impurities from as small as 7 microns (compared to OEM's 10 microns)."

The ISO 5011 results are not superior to most cellulose filters. The claim "from as small as 7 microns" can mean anything. It can mean it caught one 7 micron particle, and let a flock of bats fly right through.

And what OEM are we talking about here? They make filters for everything from dirtbikes to exotic cars?

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that Porsche would install parts made by a company that makes such dubious claims. But considering that the car is supposed to be all about the racing racing racing image, I can't say I'm surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back