polishing roof of a pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping a friend wax his new-to-him 2002 pickup and its seems like the prior owner never waxed or did much to the roof since its was out of sight. Rest of pickup is fine for waxing. I had some leftover Nu-Finish we were using. The roof after being waxed did not really look like it had been waxed, while the hood was shinny. So should I suggest to clay bar the roof or suggest rubbing compound?

The previous owner probably never washed the roof either. You're probably feeling years of accumulated grime, tree sap, fallout, everything.

Try a clay bar... that is what I'd try first.

A good car shampoo like Meguiars Gold Class, then evaluate your paint condition. Is it smooth/rough, does it need clay (most likely)? Is there clear coat breakdown, peeling, scratches, etc?

Personally I wouldn't use gold class car wash. It's good for a clean car, but in this case you need to get to bare paint to inspect. If it hasn't been well taken care of there is likely a bunch of crud stuck to the paint. As much as I like what a clay bar does to paint it's not for removal of heavy stuff.

Don't use mineral spirits. No need to use a car paint cleaner. Just wash the roof, when you clay you'll be removing most of the NuFinish. You don't need to remove all of it. NuFinish is fine. Reapply after the claybar and keep using it. Because of it's condition. I'd reapply after one month. Then quarterly. Then up to you afterwards.

I only recommend paint cleaners (which are really just polishes) if you plan on switching wax/sealant. It's the best way to truly judge your new wax/sealants characteristics.

Last edited:
My friend came over and we first cleaned it with some old buy & tar remover I had, then used a Meguiars clay bar (it did pick up some dirt) then wiped it off and more NuFinish. Its only marginally better.

Standing on the porch when is a few feet off the ground, its easy to compare the roof and hood. I think next time I might try some Dupont #7 rubbing compound.

This reminds me, I have to tackle the roof of my pickup soon. Not the easiest task. I can only reach so far from the bed band sides. The front center section is a challenge for us shorter guys!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The previous owner probably never washed the roof either. You're probably feeling years of accumulated grime, tree sap, fallout, everything.

Try a clay bar... that is what I'd try first.

+1 Rule of thumb is always to start with the less agressive and work up. At the very least a mild clay bar will remove all the contaminates etc. on the roof and give you a smooth surface to work on. If you have a DA I would suggest the M105/205 combo from Meguiars. Start a section with 205 and see how the results are after an IPA wipedown and go from there with 105 or continue with 205. You can use this with a hand application but you won't get the same results as with a machine.

Go to harbor freight and buy the 7" rotary polisher. Usually on sale for under $40. Throw away the pad it comes with, spend the $10 and get the yellow foam compounding pad there. Grab some turtle wax liquid rubbing compound at any auto parts store or Walmart. Clean truck with dishwashing liquid, then start polishing. I did my whole 67 Ford F-250 with its original paint and it shined up very nicely! Even the roof. You'll start looking for reasons to polish out your other cars too haha! That's the cheap and easy way to polish it. There are definitely better products you can use, but I bet you'll be happy with the results for $50. Plus you'll still have the equipment to use in the future. I've had my cheap harbor freight polisher for about 5 years now, and have used it quite a lot. Never given up on me. The speed control is a little weird, but for the price I paid I don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back