Is this proper lube for caliper slide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be doing a brake job this weekend. Is this brake lube correct for caliper slide pins? It appears to be silicone-based, which is what's needed for slide pins. The reviews I read seem good and AAP stocks it. What do you guys think?

Any auto parts store will have a lube specifically for this. There are multiple brands.

Some even offer it in small single application packets.

Just make sure it is the highest quality stuff you can find. I use Wurth, I get it from the Acura dealership.

If the slider pins seize from a bit of neglect it usually means time for a brake job as the damage is usually bad.

If you use quality silicone grease in the slider pins, you can go 2 years between applications if someone forgets to service them.

That's an excellent brake lube that has been around forever and lots of people still claim excellent results with it.

I tried several of the new fangeled brake lubes and have returned to using either Sil Glyde or a real silicone brake lube.

Both The Critic and I like to remind people that the "Sil" in Sil Glyde might refer to silica more than silicone. The MSDS (the old, useful ones) show silicone to be a VERY minor component of Sil Glyde.

ANOTHER brake caliper lube thread!?!

wink.gif
Nah, just kidding. Yes, Sil-glyde has a very good reputation and works well. No it is not silicone based, and actually has a rather low silicone content. I have used sil-glyde many times with good results.

That said, it does not seem, to me, to last as long as Motorcraft XG-3A silicone brake caliper grease. And neither hold up very well on exposed pad ears (currently trying jet-lube mp-50 moly paste on my truck for that).

I have used both nothing as well as any kind of grease I had on hand (wheel bearing, chassis, white lithium, etc.) None ever resulted in any issues whatsoever. On my 89 Accord I didn't even pull the pins to lube them for the first 10-12 years I owned the car. I would call this decision non-critical.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Will be doing a brake job this weekend. Is this brake lube correct for caliper slide pins? It appears to be silicone-based, which is what's needed for slide pins. The reviews I read seem good and AAP stocks it. What do you guys think?

Yes, this is my favorite. I use it at work daily.

I see two MSDS's for Sil-Glyde. One says almost nothing. This one says 1-5% Polydimethylsiloxane (silicone), but it also says 5-15% Silicon Dioxide, Amorphous, which is likely a way of getting around listing the actual polymer composite that is created from the SiO2.

Together that's a fair amount of silicone lubricant, 6-20%.

http://www.prairielandelectric.com/msds/inbookmsds/Sil-glyde grease.pdf

I've been using it for a while and it does a good job.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Permatex makes a green brake lube that's really good stuff.

I tried it a couple times and went back to Sil Glyde. Permatex green dries out fast.

Last edited:
I bought a tube of Sil-Glyde years ago it works great, stays put and does not swell the rubber boots. I tried the Ceramic stuff (Permatex Purple) did not last, dried out. Pickup some Molycote M77 for the pad backplates its the same type that Akebono provides with a new set of pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back