I tried 10W60 oil and it didn't do that well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
10w60's shear quickly. Its probably already a 50 grade and will likely be a 40 grade by the next oil change. Coincidence and look elsewhere for the temperature rise.

That's what I thought (shearing), and what I feared (having to look elsewhere).
Originally Posted By: edyvw
How about you change rubbers on the valves? Oil will not solve issues. You cannot go indefinitely thicker with oil.
Also, for Alfa, try Selenia 10W40.

What's so special with Selenia oil? I have some Selenia Turbo diesel, the jug is new and already leaking (they were all leaking when I bought it), as if it is wanting to escape to go into my Fiat^^ Bought it, but never tried it, still on the shelf in my garage.
As for rubbers on the valve, it could help, but there's most likely a compression issue too...and my friend doesn't want to pay more than basics (oil, filter, brake pads).

For the sake of trying, I've got a jug of Helix HX7 10W40 I'm almost ready to sacrifice for my friend. Do you think I can recycle the used 10W60 in one of my sig cars? Or bad idea because of contamination? It has around 400Km of use now.

Also I've noticed some spare plugs on the oil filter support, oil temp sensors are cheap, I think I'm going to buy one on amazon or elsewhere, what do you think? My Barchetta has the same oil filter support, I'll put it there after that.

I owned Alfa's and Lancia's, and found they really like Sellenia oil. But yes, if piston rings are bad, as well as rubbers on valves, no oil will help. That engine needs rebuild.

I owned Alfa's and Lancia's, and found they really like Sellenia oil. But yes, if piston rings are bad, as well as rubbers on valves, no oil will help. That engine needs rebuild.
Can you define "really like" in mechanical terms?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I like Selenia stuff,they make really good products. It's hard to valorise quality of oil beyond approvals, but their other products like brake fluid and antifreeze are top quality.
It is after all only manufacturer that has approvals for Fiat group cars outside NA.

eek.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

In Alfa 146 1.6 Boxer and Lancia 2.4jtd I had, I never had to top off that oil, while both engines used Castrol, Shell and Mobil1 that I tried. My friend is well respected mechanic and he never seen failure of turbos, etc, when this oil was used. Is it scientific evidence? No, but when I owned those cars, Sellenia in Alfa, Lancia community was ONLY oil that was used, for a reason.
I know that Petrobras bought them, so cannot say for quality these days, this was some 10-15yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I thought Petronas makes Selenia, or has it changed hands twice since you had the Alfas?

Sorry, Petronas, not Petrobras.

This summer I was briefly in Italy, and I encountered some Selenia oil in a supermarket, but I was unimpressed by the packaging and certifications on bottles, plus some jugs were leaking...
That doesn't prevent me to bought Selenia turbo diesel 10W40 because it looked like what is depicted in the manual of my car (lol, and it was cheap) ( it leaked all the way back in my trunk) and some Petronas Syntium 3000, which carried many specs, Porsche A40, MB 229.5, etc, thought it can only be good.
Now I wish I bought Tutela brake fluid and coolant too!

I tried Petronas oil in my Colt, so far I didn't noticed any difference with Helix Ultra 5W40, but I don't think this motor is very hard on oil.

Back on the topic I don't see what can be wrong in the cooling system of the 147, yesterday night we drained the coolant (to put it back), checked the thermostat with hot water, seems to open like it should, we got rid of all the air we could, and still it runs at "fan engaging threshold" on the highway, don't understand why.
My friend is getting home tonight (250Km from here), he'll continue to monitor. Hope the oil with shear and temp return to normal. Winter is already coming out there
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy

Back on the topic I don't see what can be wrong in the cooling system of the 147, yesterday night we drained the coolant (to put it back), checked the thermostat with hot water, seems to open like it should, we got rid of all the air we could, and still it runs at "fan engaging threshold" on the highway, don't understand why.
My friend is getting home tonight (250Km from here), he'll continue to monitor. Hope the oil with shear and temp return to normal. Winter is already coming out there
frown.gif

Maybe your friend used normal water in his cooling system in the past....and because of that his system got clogged?

Try some "cilit bang" for flushing....

Maybe, don't know really. Cilit bang? That's serious stuff for clogged toilet^^ Maybe I'll try with some special radiator stuff later.

He lent me his car for the week (and took my Marea, it's almost a winning exchange for me). Tonight I drained the 10W60 oil in a clean jug, still not decided on what to do next. Try an OC with frankenbrew?

The car stayed for a few days without oil, and this morning I put some Castrol Syntec 5W40 ; you won't believe it (and I wouldn't either) but temperature is actually lower with this oil, now the temperature does not reach the threshold to trigger the fan, so I'd say at least 5°C less in water temperature.

Weird, but still good to know
smile.gif

Good to know about temperature difference, but where did you found Synthec in France? I thought it was only NA market.

Don't know where it came from, it looked like old and worn bottles I bought in a (dusty) discount store. In fact I put 3L Syntec (3x 1L) and like 0,5L Total 5W40 I used for occasional top off.
Didn't changed te filter, so far so good, but back on the old problems, sigh.

Syntec doesn't look like top quality oil but good enough.

It should serve you good. Had no idea Castrol was selling this products in Europe. I've used standard Edge 5w40 and couldn't see any difference compared with SHE I'm using now.

I seem to get higher fuel consumption at idle when using Castrol, compared to Total, based on the injected amount per cycle.

Also more frequent dpf regens.

I switched to Castrol again last week to get rid of my leftovers, will see if the dpf cycles are shorter again. I was up to 1000+ km between regens.

Next fill will be Total Quartz Energy 0w-30 most likely.

I got rid of the empty bottles so I don't know for sure, but it may well be import or leftover from some store, I had it from a store which buy stocks from other stores which closed or went bankrupt.

I'm not fond of Total but it is cheap here, are you comparing different saps value oil? Naive question (sorry) but isn't it normal to have less fuel consumption with thinner oil (0W30 total vs 5W40 castrol) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back