Nissan Titan Transmission Drain plug size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the Nissan Titan Transmission Drain plug size is? I would like to replace the stock one with a magnetic one.

thanks

I'll be honest here...My Titan has 280k on the tranny with the factory drain plug. Never an issue. You're better off adding an inline Magnefile filter than trying to do the drain plug.

FYI, Amsoil works fantastic in a Titan transmission.

Magnetic drain plugs are a gimmick IMO, there is no evidence that using one will extend the life of your transmission or engine.

Transmissions have a filter or screen that keeps debris from entering the pump so no worry.

My 02 F150 has an OEM 2" square magnet on the bottom of the tranny pan. I dropped the pan to change and that magnet was fuzzy with all the metal particles. Rubbing it off was like paste the particles were so fine.

I think if you want to call it a gimmick you should be ready to explain why all those extra particles floating around is no worse than not having them.

Transmissions also tend to have magnets stuck to the inside of the transmission pan. I usually remove them and use a magnetic ATF drain plug for inspection during any drain/refill. Definitely not a gimmick especially when the transmission is just an overrated rock-catcher.

I do recommend the Magnefine, or any PH8a-sized remote ATF oil filter. If using a remote oil filter, you could stick a filtermag, or equivalent on it. Recycled hard drive magnets work great on screw-on oil filters.

If you must magnetic drain plug it, buy a new plug at the dealer and check the metric size at the local hardware/autopart stores. Also, get the fancy drain plug washer from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
My 02 F150 has an OEM 2" square magnet on the bottom of the tranny pan. I dropped the pan to change and that magnet was fuzzy with all the metal particles. Rubbing it off was like paste the particles were so fine.

I think if you want to call it a gimmick you should be ready to explain why all those extra particles floating around is no worse than not having them.

By that logic we should stick lots of powerful magnets on the bottom of our transmission pans.

Magnetic drain plugs are like oil filter magnets, they are designed to separate you from your money.

stchman claims that magnets are a waste of money - maybe to him they are.

To most guys whose rigs will go in a compactor in a few years and wont ever be rebuilt they may not be worth it.

He cannot refute that factory OEMS of all kinds use them ALL THE TIME to augment filters, or outright replace them in some applications as as a filtering mechanism. Because they are waste? Nope.

Real engine builders with experience do tell you to load up on magnets.
Some of the best engine builders in the world use them as standard fare and always on their own engines. Not because they don't work, but because they team up with existing filtration systems to do a better job.

There are few things you can employ to aid in filtration that can only help and cannot hurt - and magnets are one of those things.

For 20 bucks - I put the magnet in/on.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back