AC Delco moving to all E-core: What to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rat407
I picked up 10 PF63's off Ebay for $40. Might check there.

Same here - I got a case of 12 for about the same price. When those are gone I will probably go with Wix/Napa filters.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Fram Ultra please, until someone shows me an oil filter that has BETTER capacity, efficiency, media toughness, wire-backed, silicon ADBV, e-z availability, price decent... Anybody want to challenge that based on the facts? Nobody? Well OK, Ultra it is.
Thing is-he's right-there are better filters available, but you're going to spend a lot more money (like RP, Fleetguard Stratapore, Donaldson Endurance, Amsoil EaO, etc.), all of which are DOUBLE or more what an average Ultra costs. No, I'm not on the payroll!

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Wix/Napa Gold are more than sufficient for you OCI's and are at least as high quality and efficient as the AC Delco standard filters.

The Fram Ultra could be easily used for 2 oci's based on the OLM mileage you mentioned.
Here we go again Fram Ultra and the multiple OCI's. The guy has a truck that is under warranty.The owners manual says change the filter every time.If you look at the Fram website the fine print for the Ultra tells you to follow your owners manual. So who's going to pay for the engine if something would happen?

Originally Posted By: steveh
Wix/Napa Gold are more than sufficient for you OCI's and are at least as high quality and efficient as the AC Delco standard filters.

The Fram Ultra could be easily used for 2 oci's based on the OLM mileage you mentioned.
Here we go again Fram Ultra and the multiple OCI's. The guy has a truck that is under warranty.The owners manual says change the filter every time.If you look at the Fram website the fine print for the Ultra tells you to follow your owners manual. So who's going to pay for the engine if something would happen?

I told him it could go 2 oci's, the OP can make that decision for himself.

Since you yourself have made no suggestions on this thread, it's pretty clear your only objective here is to go around TROLLING for people suggesting that a Fram Ultra can go more than one OCI.

Delco says the reason they changed to e-core was to obtain better flow that maybe true but the new filters look and feel like garbage.. Use a Wix or ultra and save the receipts in case of warranty issues. We use mostly Wix in the shop. However the ultra looks to be built very well also.

Originally Posted By: steveh

I told him it could go 2 oci's, the OP can make that decision for himself.

Since you yourself have made no suggestions on this thread, it's pretty clear your only objective here is to go around TROLLING for people suggesting that a Fram Ultra can go more than one OCI.
I think my suggestion to follow his owners manual when under warranty was a good one. Even if the car is not under warranty. What would happen if the filter was defective and blew my engine after 14K and my manual says 5K? The fine print on almost all brands of filters say to follow your owners manual. NOT TROLLING just rather be safe then sorry.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Delco says the reason they changed to e-core was to obtain better flow ...

Just a marketing gimmick at best, maybe cost cutting move too. Nothing wrong with good old fashioned metal center tubes with a bunch of smaller hole in it.

The majority of the pressure drop across an oil filter is from the media, not the the base plate and center tube holes unless the filter designer was just throwing darts in the dark.

I have 12 new AC Delco PF63 oil filters on the shelf. I can sell them all to you.

Let me know.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

Suggestions from here?
Purolators scare me. Wix and their filter efficiencies confuses me. Fram is hit or miss (not to mention the stigma of the OCOD when it comes to dealership warranty issues).

I suggest that you turn all the car maintenance and repair duties over to your wife. You better let her put gas in it too.
Because no matter what you do, it appears you will be losing sleep over your decision.

PF63 = Wix 57045. Since you have 3 trucks that use the same filter, You'd be wise to purchase in bulk.

With that said, a case of 12 Wix 57045 from Discount Fleet Supply is $42.84 ($3.57 each) before shipping. That's a heck of a deal for Wix. I'm not sure if they sell to individual buyers, like us, or only to businesses, but if you wanna go with Wix, that's the site I would recommend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eosyn
PF63 = Wix 57045. Since you have 3 trucks that use the same filter, You'd be wise to purchase in bulk.

With that said, a case of 12 Wix 57045 from Discount Fleet Supply is $42.84 ($3.57 each) before shipping. That's a heck of a deal for Wix. I'm not sure if they sell to individual buyers, like us, or only to businesses, but if you wanna go with Wix, that's the site I would recommend.

^^^^^this. But I have no problems getting classic ac delco filter and I don't have problems using e-cores

My truck takes the same filter. The last few days someone has bought all the classic pf63s from my local Wal-Mart so I bought a fram ultra xg10575 and some m1 ep 0w20. Gonna run it with confidence. Personally I wouldn't worry about them hassling you over warranty for a oil filter, as long as it's spec for your truck then they have no grounds to question it. If your engine vented itself with a ac delco filter they would hassle you about that as well. Same with oil, I bet you don't use ac delco oil and you don't question that, so why question the filter brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back