what is SP-IV and where to get it?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am buying a new Jeep Partiot that has a 6-speed automatic transmission and the owners' manual states it uses SP-IV transmission fluid...

what is this stuff and where can I get it other than dealer parts departments? I like having an extra quart for piece of mind; thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The extra cost of 1 quart is not much, for top off just get a quart from dealer. When time to change then you should find cheaper alternative.

I wonder if SP-IV is the same fluid as Kia/Hyundai?

Amsoil has some info on that fluid.

Quote:

Use Mopar SP-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent
Mopar SP-IV fluid is available as P/N 68171866AA (1 qt)
or P/N 68171869AA (1 gal)

Looks like until someone comes out with an aftermarket Chrysler SP-IV fluid you are stuck with the dealer. Good news is that your Jeep will be new so you won't have to service it for a while.

It is starting to get ridiculous with all these specialty fluids out there.

Just get some Maxlife
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I am buying a new Jeep Partiot that has a 6-speed automatic transmission and the owners' manual states it uses SP-IV transmission fluid...

what is this stuff and where can I get it other than dealer parts departments? I like having an extra quart for piece of mind; thanks

You can simply go to this new, innovative website called Google, and type in what you're looking for and it will tell you all about it. It's worth bookmarking-I really think it's gonna be big someday.

On a side note, it's "peace of mind" not "piece of mind". Unless you really do mean a small portion of your mind rather than the lack of anxiety or stress.

I've never heard of anyone buying an extra quart of ATF for PEACE OF MIND for a new vehicle. What's your concern?

Originally Posted By: stchman
I wonder if SP-IV is the same fluid as Kia/Hyundai?

Amsoil has some info on that fluid.

Quote:

Use Mopar SP-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent
Mopar SP-IV fluid is available as P/N 68171866AA (1 qt)
or P/N 68171869AA (1 gal)

Looks like until someone comes out with an aftermarket Chrysler SP-IV fluid you are stuck with the dealer. Good news is that your Jeep will be new so you won't have to service it for a while.

It is starting to get ridiculous with all these specialty fluids out there.

FWIW, Hyundai/Kia dealerships also carry SP-IV fluid. I think Mitsubishi dealerships do too.

It is transmission fluid and is available at the dealership.

You have a Jeep with a Hyundai transmission. Too funny.

You can use Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi/Mopar SP4(various labels like SPIV SP4 SP4m SPHiv.....).

You can use any universal or multivehicle ATF that is recommended for any of the sp-four specification.

Nothing special. Has been mentioned here years ago if you searched.

to the folks who provided helpful info...thank you!

to the others who were smarta**es or sarcastic...so frikkin sorry I knocked on the door to the peanut gallery and disturbed your beauty naps; forgive me for being imperfect and crossing your paths...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
to the folks who provided helpful info...thank you!

to the others who were smarta**es or sarcastic...so frikkin sorry I knocked on the door to the peanut gallery and disturbed your beauty naps; forgive me for being imperfect and crossing your paths...

We try to help newbies, but putting obscenities in your title doesn't help to endear you and makes you come off as a smart**s as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back