AC Delco moving to all E-core: What to do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Silverado needs a PF63 or equivalent. I've used Delcos forever on our last 3 trucks. Love them, great for the OLM intervals. However they've more or less converted their entire line to E-cores. Very few Delco "classics" left. I also like them for warranty hassles. Can't find a non-ecore PF63 anywhere around here, can't even be ordered through my local Napa/Oreilly/Autozone.

Suggestions from here? Intervals will follow the OLM which is averaging 6.8~7.2K. Purolators scare me. Wix and their filter efficiencies confuses me. Fram is hit or miss (not to mention the stigma of the OCOD when it comes to dealership warranty issues).

Last edited:
Just get a Wix/Napa Gold
smile.gif

Just use a Fram Ultra and be done with it. It's relatively cheap, easy to find, well-made and a name brand. You can't go wrong.

Do you have an advance auto I'm your neck of the woods? Last time I was there they had more Delco classics than score. The guys at the counter knew about the scores and said their supplier was working hard to get the classics because the score wouldn't sell.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of the Napa gold. Made by wix so that doesn't help that issue for you, but I would use either one without reservation. Napa golds are cheap when on sale.

There are millions of Ecore filters in use, and yet, hardly any reports of problems.

If the Ecore causes a problem, its an OEM part and they should warranty fix it no problem.

I'd just run the ecore, or Fram Ultra for two changes.

The only Wix that has a low efficiency rating is the synthetic, their standard filter is fine (including Carquest and Napa Gold)

I wouldn't use an OCOD either, but the Fram Ultra is an excellent filter.

Same for Purolator- right now I wouldn't use a classic or P1, but the PSL (synthetic) series is excellent.

Mobil 1 is good. Royal Purple is one of the very best (but pricey), and the same is true of the Amsoil EAO.

There are a lot of choices left.

Fram Ultra please, until someone shows me an oil filter that has BETTER capacity, efficiency, media toughness, wire-backed, silicon ADBV, e-z availability, price decent... Anybody want to challenge that based on the facts? Nobody? Well OK, Ultra it is.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Fram Ultra please, until someone shows me an oil filter that has BETTER capacity, efficiency, media toughness, wire-backed, silicon ADBV, e-z availability, price decent... Anybody want to challenge that based on the facts? Nobody? Well OK, Ultra it is.
Yawn.

I still get non-ecore AC Delco filters at O'Reilly's. Not sure why your local one apparently can't.

Wix/Napa Gold are more than sufficient for you OCI's and are at least as high quality and efficient as the AC Delco standard filters.

The Fram Ultra could be easily used for 2 oci's based on the OLM mileage you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
There are millions of Ecore filters in use, and yet, hardly any reports of problems.

If the Ecore causes a problem, its an OEM part and they should warranty fix it no problem.

I'd just run the ecore, or Fram Ultra for two changes.

+1. Ecores are on millions of non BITOG cars without any issues. If you want to stick with the classics I usually buy my filters on rockauto. I will buy 5 or so at a time to justify the shipping but they should still have the classic series at a decent price. I say stock up there. Worst case scenario use some white out and take the E at the end of the filter and box :p

What about an Amsoil filter? Acknowledged as a great filter, good for at least 15k and delivered to your door. PM Pablo for a price quote.

"AC Delco moving to all E-core: What to do now?"

close down this subforum i guess, not much else to talk about except whine about fram and purolator.

I just looked they're $3.66 a piece on rockauto.. I personally see nothing wrong with an ecore but I do pick the classic when I have a choice. They come out to $4.77 after shipping if you buy 5 for the classics.. Well I'm assuming the 'F' means its a classic. The picture appears to be one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Exactly what is e-core?

blush.gif
sorry
Champ made filter with a plastic cage for the center tube instead of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back