First oil change errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just finish the my first oil change on altima with 50k miles on it two days ago. Turn the filter to the wrong direction when i try to take it out, spill the oil when pouring it in, also put in too much and had to siphon some out. Even after two days i still see oil on the ground the next morning, i hope is just the oil i spill slowly coming down.
Where else will engine oil leak other than from the drain plug and the filter?
The drain plug was on pretty tight, after loosen it i can use my hand to unscrew it but after few turns i have to use the wrench again, cant turn it with my hand. Does that mean the drain plug is damage or the thread on the oil pan is worn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the drain plug isn't in the best shape. I'd put a soft washer on it next change to add friction (to prevent backing out) and torque to spec. The other alternatives are oversize plugs (that grind going in and feel awful) or fumoto type set-once-and-drain-though-it gizmos.

Originally Posted By: claudiuslu
So just finish the my first oil change on altima with 50k miles on it two days ago. Turn the filter to the wrong direction when i try to take it out, spill the oil when pouring it in, also put in too much and had to siphon some out. Even after two days i still see oil on the ground the next morning, i hope is just the oil i spill slowly coming down.
The drain plug was on pretty tight, after loosen it i can use my hand to unscrew it but after few turns i have to use the wrench again, cant turn it with my hand. Does that mean the drain plug is damage or the thread on the oil pan is worn?

Maybe both. But the drain plug is easier and cheaper to replace.....Pick up a new one before the next change.

And yes....oil spilled on the top of an engine will drip for awhile. Get some foaming engine cleaner if it bothers you.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
At least you didn't drop Power Bait in the fill hole
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

As long as you have the drain plug and the filter checked and they are not leaking, the only other thing you touched was the "710" cap. Make sure it is tight. (710 is "OIL" upside down.)

Again, if you spilled oil when filling, it will drip off for several days. Either clean it up (Recommended) or wait.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Maybe both. But the drain plug is easier and cheaper to replace.....Pick up a new one before the next change.

And yes....oil spilled on the top of an engine will drip for awhile. Get some foaming engine cleaner if it bothers you.

+1 try a new drain plug. If the new plug seems to give you trouble try using or borrowing a tap set and clean up the treads.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

That one went over my head. Did I miss a good thread?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Haha yes, yes you did

Sorry I can't make it a clickable link, I'm on my phone and I can't do it on here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3774160/accident_today,_dropping_thing#Post3774160

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Haha yes, yes you did

Sorry I can't make it a clickable link, I'm on my phone and I can't do it on here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3774160/accident_today,_dropping_thing#Post3774160

I should have known it would be an engineer20 thread! Some might say I just wasted 10 minutes of my time reading through that, but I would disagree!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Sounds like it might be cross-threaded.

Several years ago, I was blending up 20kg of oil for an urgent engine test. I don't know how it happened but my watch fell off into the bucket just as I set the stirrer going. Felt there was no point in trying to fish it out of the gunge, so I just let it clank about in hot swirling oil for a few hours. Once the blend had cooled down, I emptied the bucket and retrieved one oily, but still working wrist watch! Oh, and the engine test subsequently passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back