Glue in a new Amsoil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
Amsoil oil filters are well made and are in a league of their own, in my humble opinion.

Carry on......

Well, not "their own" but definitely the league they share with Royal Purple and any other high-end, synthetic media, thick-shell filter made by Champion (which I will continue to use as shorthand for "Champion Laboratories Division of Fram Filtration"...)

To the OP Amsoil are top notch but have you looked into other mainly Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: dave123
To the OP Amsoil are top notch but have you looked into other mainly Royal Purple.

The RP filter is VERY similar. Both are made by Champion Laboratores, to Amsoil and RP's particular specs. They're within a gnat's whisker of each other as far as anything I've ever seen. The GM Truck Central Oil filter study (much criticized and praised at different times- but irrelevant if you just look at the pictures for comparison) has pictures of both and they are extremely similar. I will tell you from my own observation that the RP filter uses a glue that looks almost identical to that smear in the OP's filter. Also both came out at the top of the Truck Central test- 1 and 2, in fact, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Thanks for posting. My responses were to help quality, nothing else. What we learned is you cant assume by brand name its perfect, nobody is, always inspect. There are filter posts with pics for many brands on here with different failures/problems.

Also, would think on a racing engine its all about flow. Flow would be the lowest efficiency filter you can get. Just enough to catch a hunk of metal.

I believe his GT4 is a FULLY prepped rally car, which (unless he does ONLY tarmac rallies) will see A LOT of; dust, dirt, mud, gravel, etc.

Hence why he also needs said efficiency (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, Wolf
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The RP filter is VERY similar. Both are made by Champion Laboratores, to Amsoil and RP's particular specs. They're within a gnat's whisker of each other as far as anything I've ever seen. The GM Truck Central Oil filter study (much criticized and praised at different times- but irrelevant if you just look at the pictures for comparison) has pictures of both and they are extremely similar. I will tell you from my own observation that the RP filter uses a glue that looks almost identical to that smear in the OP's filter. Also both came out at the top of the Truck Central test- 1 and 2, in fact, if I recall correctly.

Now you are are just being a fan-boy, at the time of the GM truck oil filter study, the Amsoil filters were still made by WIX, not Champion yet.

PS - notice how the Amsoil they tested in their own pic has glue slopped over it, even back then, we are now batting 2 for 2 on glue - lol

exploded.jpg

larger pic here - www.gmtruckcentral.com/images

Slopped glue on the dirty side of the media is OK, on the clean side, not so OK.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Unfortunately it's not so easy to find those filters here, but I found a good seller that sent me the Amsoil stuff overseas.

Also, would think on a racing engine its all about flow. Flow would be the lowest efficiency filter you can get. Just enough to catch a hunk of metal.

Yes, flow is very important...
but to get more flow I prefer to get a bigger oil pump, increase bypass pressure and install the biggest filter I can fit...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Thanks for posting. My responses were to help quality, nothing else. What we learned is you cant assume by brand name its perfect, nobody is, always inspect. There are filter posts with pics for many brands on here with different failures/problems.

I believe his GT4 is a FULLY prepped rally car, which (unless he does ONLY tarmac rallies) will see A LOT of; dust, dirt, mud, gravel, etc.

Hence why he also needs said efficiency (PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, Wolf
wink.gif
).

Right... and even because it's MY OWN car, so any $$$ comes out from my buckets...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LScowboy

PS - notice how the Amsoil they tested in their own pic has glue slopped over it, even back then, we are now batting 2 for 2 on glue - lol

exploded.jpg

larger pic here - www.gmtruckcentral.com/images

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Slopped glue on the dirty side of the media is OK, on the clean side, not so OK.

Exactly...
I don't care anything that happens in the dirty side, but I think it would be silly to risk an engine, even the cheapest ones, for some 40$ oil filter glue in the clean side that could eventually unstick and block the oil gallery to a bearing...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I wouldn't worry- if that piece of glue comes loose or melts, then all the rest would come loose or melt as well and you'd have bigger problems.

This. All of them have a fillet of adhesive, but it looks like this one got a little wild with the glue.....

I was at a Pep Boys last week and saw the same thing on a RP filter (10-2835). I ordered the same RP filter on Amazon for $12 which arrived today with the same snake line of glue on the botton.

I am assuming that given the incidences of it, that it is normal. And if the glue is strong enough to hold the media to the end caps, then it probably doesn't do any harm at the bottom of the filter.

Or maybe I should obsess about it and return it, or call RP, but not sure it is possible to even get people on the phone these days.

Any opinions?

i bought an amsoil filter a while back and it had the same thing. still in the car so i havent cut it open yet, but its the glue they use to secure the media to the metal endcaps. in-between the pleats glue is on the clean side of the media in any filter glued in this fashion. you just dont see it from looking down the tube because the pleats are close togeather and the metal tube hides it. what your seeing is that same glue just spilled inside from their machine. if it would come off there on its own it would come off in between the pleats and the media would seperate from the endcaps as well. its more of an epoxy than a hot glue. nothing to worry about unless it somehow started to cure before it hit your endcap there and isnt fully bonded. chipping at it with a screwdriver would just make matters worse and i wouldnt use the filter if i did that.

Just sloppy QC by the filter manufacturer.

There is no reason for the dribble of glue in that filter.

You can see a lot of that in Rank Group/FRAM products.

I'd return it for exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back