Fuel Injectors - why they fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Curious! Do you buy gas with ethanol? I've logged over 600K on my 2.5 Dodge and 4.3 Chevy and never repaired or changed them. I drive right by all ethanol pumps btw.

No choice where I'm at ... ALL stations have 10% ethanol. I doubt it makes any difference to the life of the fuel injectors. Ethanol will definitely keep moisture out of your fuel system though, as it absorbs water really well.

Well that is probably why they failed. Exceeded more than 10% too many times.

Ethanol will definitely keep moisture out of your fuel system though, as it absorbs water really well.

Huh? Ethanol is extremely hygroscopic and aggressively absorbs moisture from the air. While anhydrous it is miscible with gasoline but once mixed with water it phase separates in the bottom of the tank. Once up to the level of the fuel pickup, big problems occur.

Perhaps you were thinking of Methanol?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Ethanol will definitely keep moisture out of your fuel system though, as it absorbs water really well.

Huh? Ethanol is extremely hygroscopic and aggressively absorbs moisture from the air. While anhydrous it is miscible with gasoline but once mixed with water it phase separates in the bottom of the tank. Once up to the level of the fuel pickup, big problems occur.

It takes a lot of water to get to this point. Most cars are using fuel at a rate that it never happens so it's a non-issue. One other comment, many point to particulates in the fuel as causing injector problems. Wouldn't the fuel filter take care of that?

I think injector problems are an issue for older cars, not an issue in current cars and a non-issue for most of us.

Only injector problem I ever had was with 88 Cavalier 2.8 beginning about 150k miles. Injector resistance would drop when they got real hot (heat soak when stopped) and ECM would shut down injector circuit due to high current draw resulting in a no start. As the injectors cooled down, resistance went back up to normal and you were good to go. I learned you had to ohm them out when hot to find the bad ones. I think junk yard injectors were $1 each back in those days.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Methanol is worse in a lot of respects, and we don't need that in our gasoline, despite what at least one gas company seems to think.

Not really about failure, but I remember some Bosch literature regarding manufacturing defects on their electric fuel injectors. In 1990-91 the defect rate was 1 in 500K units. Post 94 defect rates were less than 1 in a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back