Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, Gas Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a Forester user's group, fellow BITOGer bluesubie turned me on to the fact that many turbo Forester drivers are using this oil because it doesn't lose viscosity to shear as badly as many other 5W30 oils. I see that it seemed to be targeted to diesels, but is acceptable for use in gas engines, too.
Anybody here using this oil in a gasoline engine? bluesubie suggested that it might have a low TBN and the U/VOAs seem to back this up with low calcium and almost no magnesium. Haven't seen any NOACK numbers, but the flashpoint is very high...ditto with cold viscosity numbers, but the pour point is lower than standard M1. HTHS looks attractive at around 3.5.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Not available in 0W-20. Isn't that the spec for your Forester?

Just thinking warranty coverage.

Looks like he has the turbo model and that takes 5w-30

Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: Danno
Not available in 0W-20. Isn't that the spec for your Forester?

Just thinking warranty coverage.

Looks like he has the turbo model and that takes 5w-30

Yep, and it sounds like a lot of long term Subie turbo drivers use 0W40 or 5W40...

It's not M1 5w30 ESP, but I run M1 5w40 TDT in my wife's Subaru in the winter and GC in the winter. We have no problems here.

There are a ton of Subie owners out there that run HDEO in their gasoline boxers. Rotella T6 being very popular.

I think it's better to go up a grade and let it shear into a 30 weight rather than start at a 30, and end with a 20. Lots of others think so too.

Last edited:
The higher HTHS 30 grades are good oils. If you want to stick with the OE grade, then use the ESP. Otherwise, I'd recommend a 0w40 or 5w40. These oils are perfectly acceptable in gas engines.

Castrol and Pennzoil also have the Euro 5w30's.

You get the 3.5+ HTHS with the 30 grade label!

I'd look into the TBN retention of the oil and see how long it holds up.

If I wanted an XXw30 oil with a high HTHS, I would use Castrol Euro 0w30.

Considering running this in the Mazda DI 2.0 bc of the Low SA. Only concern is Tbn retention. Plus, M1 already has a SA of .8, which is lower than any other full syn on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back