Should Arby's be boycotted for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should they be boycotted? Arby's didn't support the actions, apologized for the incident, and said the employees would be punished. They should be boycotted because the food is gross, but this is silly.

No. It definitely wasn't Arby's corporate policy to refuse service to police. It was just an employee being a butthead.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Should both the employee and manager be fired?
If they have no other disciplinary actions against them, no.

From the article

"Davenport(employee) says that he didn't refuse Martin(officer) service, but he was so busy he had to ask his manager for help. He said that is when the manager made the unfortunate joke."

This is all on the manager, and yes he(manager) should be disciplined (but not lose his job, it's called a warning unless if he's had prior pranks on his record, then I would suspend or possibly terminate depending on # of infractions) and you can eat at Arby's if you like or not.....

on edit:

Of course with the public reaction, Arby's may take a different route.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Should both the employee and manager be fired?

Disregard my 1st post on this. I reread the article. Sounds like Arby's needs to clean house at this particular shop.

Last edited:
Please re read the article

"Davenport says that he didn't refuse Martin service, but he was so busy he had to ask his manager for help. He said that is when the manager made the unfortunate joke."

America's Roast Beef, Yes Sir!

What you have is a cop who cant't take a joke, and employees that have no customer service skills. Must be a local thing.

The kid says he was just really busy and asked the manager for help, and maybe the manager thought the comment was funny because the kid was black and had dreadlocks. The manager is only 22 himself. The comment from the kid about how there no point in talking to the officer because he's colored is pretty odd, though.
Looks like the manager has been fired and the kid has been suspended...sounds like Arby's thinks the manager was more responsible for the situation than the kid. If the kid was really just busy and the manager started the whole brouhaha with a bad attempt at a joke, I feel bad for the kid.

BTW, had a brisket sammich at Arby's not long ago and it was surprisingly good! I've had a soft spot for Arby's since I was a kid, loved them and Long John Silver's way more than McD and BK.

Last edited:
A big, blown up, drawn out ordeal over very little at all.

The cop was so offended, mad or whatever that she had to make a report and go to the Union? Huh? Get a life! Instead, don't go there anymore and move on with your life!

And what's with the Union? Going to corporate to complain and suggesting a Nationwide boycott over an isolated incident? What ever happened to moving up the chain of command? This is likely a franchise- so what about talking to the owner? They're barking up the wrong tree.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

What you have is a cop who cant't take a joke, and employees that have no customer service skills. Must be a local thing.

Flori....Duh!
Officer shouldn't have to accept bad humor with the purchase of a meal. Manager was probably making a point, and stepped back when it was brought to light. He deserves to be fired. And the officer deserves to eat somewhere better, anyway.

Does Dade County police do a lot of carding, or spot checks? Its kind of sad that the young guy who's working a job thinks that the police is against him just because what he looks like.
The managers "joke" kind of points out the truth in the situation.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
A big, blown up, drawn out ordeal over very little at all.

The cop was so offended, mad or whatever that she had to make a report and go to the Union? Huh? Get a life! Instead, don't go there anymore and move on with your life!

And what's with the Union? Going to corporate to complain and suggesting a Nationwide boycott over an isolated incident? What ever happened to moving up the chain of command? This is likely a franchise- so what about talking to the owner? They're barking up the wrong tree.

If you were refused service( even as part of a joke )you would be offended I am sure. Maybe even more so if you found out it was a joke and you were the butt of it. Add in all the national tension between blacks and the Police and I can see where this would not be seen as funny.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

Flori....Duh!
Officer shouldn't have to accept bad humor with the purchase of a meal. Manager was probably making a point, and stepped back when it was brought to light. He deserves to be fired. And the officer deserves to eat somewhere better, anyway.

No customer should ever be the butt of a joke. The LEO shouldn't need a sense of humor to receive service. The wrong for this incident is 100% on the employees involved.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Does Dade County police do a lot of carding, or spot checks? Its kind of sad that the young guy who's working a job thinks that the police is against him just because what he looks like.
The managers "joke" kind of points out the truth in the situation.

The only truth in the situation is the employees involved were out of line.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I didn't see that. These are the same unions that protect rude, disrespectful, abusive, criminal cops victimizing the public but are calling for a nationwide boycott because of an single isolated incident. These unions are the people that are turning people against the police in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back