2015 Chevy City Express purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a City Express which is really the Nissan NV200.

Coming from an Astro, definitely a size down.

Max payload is 1500 pounds, which is 250 less than the Astro...yeah right.

My observations...

Pros:
-700lbs myself included loaded.
-homemade shelves to lighten load
-25.1 mpg. 14.5 gas tank
-2.0 4 cylinder, I do not drive drive aggressively or on the highway, I am satisfied, even moving from the 4.3
-many compliments from customers as well as tradesmen on looks.
-A/C works well
-Bluetooth is nice
-stereo adequate
-slink right into garages, under basketball hoops, squeeze between cars
Cons:
-much more creative when loading for the day
-cargo mat allows NOTHING to slide on it
-no gauges
-no real rear bumper. Cover with cardboard when loading to prevent damage
-gas mileage is great, add one more fill up for the week

Going on 1000 miles. Still a design in progress for the cargo area. Be creative when designing racks.

Trying to avoid a ladder rack, due to noise and possible fuel mileage reduction.

Looks interesting, our V6 full size van fleet fuel consumption is about 12-13mpg, so halving the fuel bill for the month is significant.
Probably half of our guys could switch down to something like that, but some of them like to have a "well stocked" van which even has the full size van close to its weight limit.

Our upfitter is looking hard at new ideas like these to shave weight, etc. But this just won't serve our fleet requirements yet.

be nice to have that kind of mileage. BTW, our service vans with 6.0 gas engines get better mileage than Indylan's v-6's!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our upfitter is looking hard at new ideas like these to shave weight, etc. But this just won't serve our fleet requirements yet.

be nice to have that kind of mileage. BTW, our service vans with 6.0 gas engines get better mileage than Indylan's v-6's!
Its hard to beat the 6.0s, we have quite a few of them. Manifold bolts and oil changes, tires here and there, and some tranny fluid changes. They're tough, we load them down pretty good too. Most are 200k+ still running like a top, one at 300k is showing its age but still runs [censored] good. Op, could you post some pictures of your new rig? Thanks

First, congrats on the new purchase! I wish I could use a vehicle of that size. That gas mileage is great. I really like the looks of the new Ford Transit, the full-size one.

I'm driving an E-250 with a 5.4, which gets about 12 mpg, slightly better than my old Savana 1500 with a 4.3. Getting ready to make a roof rack for it, so I can get worse mileage.
blush.gif

Great mileage! My only concern is that is a lot of weight for a nissan CVT transmission to move around. I hope they don't cost a lot to replace when that day comes.

Those are interesting. A small diesel option would be nice.

Have the rear bumper covered with Rhino Lining or equivalent.

I agree on the CVT, that is a concern. Never thought of Rhino on the bumper!

This was not a hasty purchase. I looked at inventory on the vehicle and waht gets used a lot, and what does not.

Over half of my jobs require an estimate, then a return to the job. I just plan it accordingly.

A big plus is loading the rodding equipment! Lower to the ground means easier on the back.

I also like opening the sliders and being able to grab parts without crawling around. That was tough.

This van certainly is not for every purpose, but hopefully my opinions will come in handy.

If your lucky the 1st CVT will pop during your 5/100 power train and the 2nd one will be cheap to buy later on. They should cost less than a regular A/T and that fuel savings will probably pay for it.

Just hit 1000 miles.
-drove in some good gully washing rain...handled well.
-25.4 mpg according to the gauge.
-Drives well, bluetooth clear

Interesting. I had no idea Chevy was rebranding a Nissan. Do they make these with seats? Will they rebrand the big nissan van?

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Interesting. I had no idea Chevy was rebranding a Nissan. Do they make these with seats? Will they rebrand the big nissan van?

All that is available in the NV200 or City Express is the cargo van. I guess the NV200 comes in a taxi version in the US though.

25.8mpg now

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What were you getting for mileage in the Astro?

16-17mpg

today it logged at 26.1mpg

Right at about 2500 miles. 27.0mpg average.

I enjoy driving the van, still getting used to where I am putting things. Have run into a couple space issues, especially when having multiple calls in a row.

No pipe rack as of yet. Bluetooth is great!

Had a road trip a week ago. 350 mile round trip. Very comfortable and handled well at 70mph.

That's excellent MPGs. Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan does 19-20mpg average tank/tank for daily driving. It does a lot better on steady highway runs though.

Just hit 3000 miles.

Still at 27mpg.

Several times the tire pressure light comes on, then resets. Finally took it to dealer for the comp oil change and they reset it. Seems to be an issue with Nissan. I will probably get a reset meter or whatever they call it, if the issue occurs with temp changes in the tires.

Had one issue with running out of room in the back cargo area. Had rodder machine, ladder, then added a pump, then cases of oil, buckets and it was tight. All worked out, but this vehicle may not be for the company that has to have every part on the truck....did I say that already?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
So there is a pretty significant gas savings.

Yes, coming from the Astro. Seems to be holding steady at 27mpg.

I still fill up once a week like I did with the Astro, but the tank is now a 14.5 gallon vs. 25 in the Astro.

Of course my insurance went up $300 per year, with complete coverage vs. comp. I really never figured that into the equation, I will know more when I can compare gas purchases for the fiscal year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back