Can Renewable Energy meet baseload power

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are too many stupid MBAs running things important to society.

[/quote]

this might be the best line that I've ever heard on bitog.it would make a great sig line.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I think people are unreasonably scared of nuclear here in the US while giving other forms of energy a pass. A perfect example is the dangers of the coal industry.

2010: Upper Big Branch mine disaster - 29 deaths
On average about 24 miners die per year in coal mining accidents.
Coal ash slurry spills - example Kingston Fossil spill

That's just an example that in this country coal has had more environmental impact than nuclear.

I agree with you 100% but it doesn't matter. The government, the populous, the climate (gas is cheap and installed cost is super super cheap) all arguye against Nuclear. In addition Governmenbt regulations have finally killed off the industry.

I worked in Nuclear Power fot 30 years and I will say without a doubt I know more about the political, technical, and regulation climate than anyone on this board. Again..mark my word you will not see a nother new nuke producing power in your lifetime.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

TVA seeks to license the first U.S. nuclear reactor of this century
http://www.utilitydive.com/news/tva-seek...century/404144/

I am well aware of that. Again email me in my grave when they go online. the Georgia nukes (Vogtle 3 and 4) are so far into cost over runs they will die. There is serious competition interms of $$$$$ for auctioned Nuclear power as we speak. That is another kettle of worms.

The big thing which we are doing is to get away from coal which sucks and move to natural gas at least which is a bit better. This is a very easy way for the midwest at least to clean up their act and its cheap, and doesn't really affect anyone who is not a coal miner. Half of our air pollution in the northeast is from the coal plants out west, thanks guys!

Nuclear, solar, and wind are the best ways to generate power. The problem is the average NIMBY is stupid so you only get nice modern nuclear plants in China where they simply tell the NIMBY's to stuff it.

I suspect in 10-20 years a large number of residential houses will have solar reducing the loads on the grid.

I view 100% energy independence as a national security issue so I'd love to go nuke, the Navy agrees with me and is investing heavily in alternatives to oil. An energy independent country cannot be told what to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I agree with you 100% but it doesn't matter. The government, the populous, the climate (gas is cheap and installed cost is super super cheap) all arguye against Nuclear. In addition Governmenbt regulations have finally killed off the industry.

I worked in Nuclear Power fot 30 years and I will say without a doubt I know more about the political, technical, and regulation climate than anyone on this board. Again..mark my word you will not see a nother new nuke producing power in your lifetime.

SCEG is building two right now in SC. The rub on these two is the company got the ok to charge in advance for the production of the two plants. We are now paying for two plants that will not go online for several years......

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
"I suspect in 10-20 years a large number of residential houses will have solar reducing the loads on the grid."

The utilities are already planning for this. They are going to a "subscription" model where you pay $xx.xx dollars for the priviledge to be wired to the grid. Based on the cable tv model where you pay to subscribe regardless of how much you use your tv.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...for-solar-roofs

http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/rewire...rid-access.html

Last edited:
The old school NatGas generators are about as efficient as coal at around 50%. The newer ones being built now are in the 60%-70% efficiency range.

Originally Posted By: 97K15004WD
"I suspect in 10-20 years a large number of residential houses will have solar reducing the loads on the grid."

The utilities are already planning for this. They are going to a "subscription" model where you pay $xx.xx dollars for the priviledge to be wired to the grid. Based on the cable tv model where you pay to subscribe regardless of how much you use your tv.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...for-solar-roofs

http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/rewire...rid-access.html

It cost me $40 a month to be connected to the grid, transformer fee. If I were to go to any type of alternative power source to feed into the grid it would cost a one time $500 inspection fee. Then with the net metering that they use here in Illinois any power I generate in excess of what I use just would not be counted in my monthly KWH use as supplied by my electric company.

The big thing which we are doing is to get away from coal which sucks and move to natural gas at least which is a bit better. This is a very easy way for the midwest at least to clean up their act and its cheap, and doesn't really affect anyone who is not a coal miner. Half of our air pollution in the northeast is from the coal plants out west, thanks guys!

"sucks", nothing better than a sounds and reasoned argument.

Do you have ANY idea what it would take to replace your US coal with NG ?

and CCGTs aren't cheap, or are you planning on 25-30% efficiency OCGT which ARE cheap ?

If you do it, gs won't be cheap anymore, just look at the UK, Europe, and Oz.

I view 100% energy independence as a national security issue so I'd love to go nuke, the Navy agrees with me and is investing heavily in alternatives to oil. An energy independent country cannot be told what to do.

Exactly! Really chaps my behind that most people don't seem to get this.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I would prefer to use other's non-renewable energy reserves and save ours. Essentially that's what we did and it has paid off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

and CCGTs aren't cheap, or are you planning on 25-30% efficiency OCGT which ARE cheap ?

Actually I do my friend works in the power industry. Coal is already on its way out in the US, its only a matter of time. CT has one coal fired plant left and its slatted to close. Most of the coal that is burned is in the midwest and it affects us because pollution drifts.

Its very doable and very efficient, we have massive supplies of natural gas so their is no issue with cost. Typically what they do is install smaller NG generators which come online based on demand.

Another benefit is when solar is more common and a bigger player on the grid you can bring generators up and down based on load, instead of an entire plant. Labor costs are also massively reduced.

Last edited:

Nope, it escapes most people.

For people who are not to sharp just follow what the Navy does, they are a wonderful run organization and very cutting edge.

China understands this as well, which is why they are investing in solar and nuclear energy at a massive rate. If we built nuke plants like they did we would be all nuke in short order.

Last edited:

Actually I do my friend works in the power industry. Coal is already on its way out in the US, its only a matter of time. CT has one coal fired plant left and its slatted to close. Most of the coal that is burned is in the midwest and it affects us because pollution drifts.

Its very doable and very efficient, we have massive supplies of natural gas so their is no issue with cost. Typically what they do is install smaller NG generators which come online based on demand.

Another benefit is when solar is more common and a bigger player on the grid you can bring generators up and down based on load, instead of an entire plant. Labor costs are also massively reduced.

There's a few things working against this though....

While GE claims an LM6000 GT is like 42% thermally efficient, at partial load the efficiency goes down (though not as bad as a single shaft system). The concept of bringing plants up and down quickly when a cloud goes behind the sun make them still very difficult to control. And, if you try to recuperate the GTs then you have a very large mass of metal which is not amenable to dispatching with shutdown in between due to thermal stresses... But without good recuperation or some other bottoming cycle approach, there still are plenty of losses.

The best approach, and one that Ive been working to develop over time, is the GT used as a bottoming cycle for a fuel cell plant. The waste heat and anode taigas from the FC plant (as well as any reformer off gas) can be used by a GT (waste heat via a recuperator and off gasses injected into the combustor). This way the GT doesn't thermal cycle other than variable turbine inlet temps when it is actively fired at a higher load, and that's normal. With developments in turbine barrier coatings and hot section corrosion protection, the longevity can be increased a good bit too. The GT also then supports transient loads with a reasonable time constant (as the FC does not like to respond very quickly), and supplemental storage can be coupled in to the FC's power electronics on its DC link to provide both fast transient ride-through and "hybridization" with renewables. It also fixes issues with "hydrogen", as you reform NG or liquids at the point of use, and we have plenty of infrastructure for these, plus know how to reform NG really well as it is a widely used industrial chemical process.

Distributed plants of this kind with MWh-level grid-dispatched storage (frequency regulation storage systems are being used more and more, so we know how to use and dispatch them) would support renewables penetration a good bit.

thumbsup2.gif

Huato,
a lot of the things that you address are in the video.

There's pie in the sky "renewables will save us", there's a woman in charge of system control and stability talking about storage grid side and meter side of grid, what they need for stability, demand side management, and some dicussion about geographic distribution of wind/solar to provide a semblence of reliability. Also small pump storage for peak shaving.

I'd suggest that you watch it (only singling you out as the only person honest enough to say you didn't watch it...but have lots to say about it).

Thanks for the encouragement, I finally had the time to watch the presentation. Very educational. I still think it's very possible.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

While GE claims an LM6000 GT is like 42% thermally efficient, at partial load the efficiency goes down (though not as bad as a single shaft system). The concept of bringing plants up and down quickly when a cloud goes behind the sun make them still very difficult to control. And, if you try to recuperate the GTs then you have a very large mass of metal which is not amenable to dispatching with shutdown in between due to thermal stresses... But without good recuperation or some other bottoming cycle approach, there still are plenty of losses.

The best approach, and one that Ive been working to develop over time, is the GT used as a bottoming cycle for a fuel cell plant. The waste heat and anode taigas from the FC plant (as well as any reformer off gas) can be used by a GT (waste heat via a recuperator and off gasses injected into the combustor). This way the GT doesn't thermal cycle other than variable turbine inlet temps when it is actively fired at a higher load, and that's normal. With developments in turbine barrier coatings and hot section corrosion protection, the longevity can be increased a good bit too. The GT also then supports transient loads with a reasonable time constant (as the FC does not like to respond very quickly), and supplemental storage can be coupled in to the FC's power electronics on its DC link to provide both fast transient ride-through and "hybridization" with renewables. It also fixes issues with "hydrogen", as you reform NG or liquids at the point of use, and we have plenty of infrastructure for these, plus know how to reform NG really well as it is a widely used industrial chemical process.

Distributed plants of this kind with MWh-level grid-dispatched storage (frequency regulation storage systems are being used more and more, so we know how to use and dispatch them) would support renewables penetration a good bit.

Thanks for this information. I do so enjoy knowing how things work.

Clouds going behind the sun aren't nearly the issue as clouds between the sun and solar collectors.
wink.gif
And even that isn't a big deal as individual cloud systems cause much less trouble to the grid than variable winds do. Or so I've been lead to believe based upon the differences in installed wind and PV capacity.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thanks for this information. I do so enjoy knowing how things work.

Clouds going behind the sun aren't nearly the issue as clouds between the sun and solar collectors.
wink.gif
And even that isn't a big deal as individual cloud systems cause much less trouble to the grid than variable winds do. Or so I've been lead to believe based upon the differences in installed wind and PV capacity.

LOL, I read that and had a laugh. I was tired when writing.

Regardless of clouds, weather, wind, etc., the challenge is stochastic sources and loads which may have patterns but still can be variable due to a variety of factors.

I have to wonder if the differences in wind and PV are due to the cost of small scale power electronics, the dumping of PV from China and elsewhere on the market, and the way things are subsidized.

I think every roof should have a PV panel or a bunch, but Im not a fan of how the companies trying to sell them for net zero bills try to push these obscenely large systems. I think the model T version should be emphasized, which is an enphase type inverter, just inverting single panels, easily connected to a power panel because it just takes a single breaker, and let everyone start offsetting AC and refrigerator type loads during the hottest part of the day.

You can get a 1kw solar panel system with inverter for around $1500. Simple plug into the wall type connection if you wanted it that way. Inverter shuts down if there is no grid power.

You can get a 30% tax credit for installing it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
You can get a 1kw solar panel system with inverter for around $1500. Simple plug into the wall type connection if you wanted it that way. Inverter shuts down if there is no grid power.

I see this as a big thing going forward as panels improve. But at 1500 its merely a curiosity and will never pay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back