Bosch 3410 cut open - some reservations - no pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open a Bosch 3410 today with 6000 miles on it (with a dollar store tin opener like a hot knife through butter).

This is not a recent filter. Based on memory, I would say it is about 2 years old.

The good:

- lots of uniform pleats with minimal waviness
- no tears on the pleats either side of the glued pleat
- some gunk at the bottom of the can

The bad

- enough space between the glued pleat and the pleats either side for another 3 pleats in total
- really tiny nick mid way up the glued pleat.
- the two halves of the pleat above this nick seemed to have lost their adherence and were easily pried apart.
- media appears to be brittle. I tore pleats quite easily with gentle pressure

Not enough for me to get really worried whether the filter has been detrimental for my application, but not confidence inspiring either. There is no way this filter should be used beyond 5000 miles for me, so when the replacement 3410 that I put on comes off, it will be replaced with a Fram Ultra.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Here you go:

Older style 3410

3410.jpg

Newer style 3410

3410-2.jpg

Seriously? A stock photo? You're buying those pricey Bosch filters so I am sure a man of your means can provide us with some professional quality photographs.

Well stated sir
smile.gif

Tighten up Benito
smile.gif
slacker... Hard to find good cut and post photographers these days.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Seriously? A stock photo? You're buying those pricey Bosch filters so I am sure a man of your means can provide us with some professional quality photographs.

Time is money. Professional quality photographs would be an expensive use of my time.

In any case, professional equipment is not always needed. The iphone takes wonderful pictures for examples. Sometimes it's even taken better shots then my Canon EOS 6D.

^^^ I think he was looking for any kind of photos of the cut open filter, not photos of the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back