Drunk tech joyriding in customer car @ dealership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

A Rhode Island man is fuming after a dashcam video in his car caught a service technician at a local dealership apparently drive his 2013 Mazadaspeed3 after drinking alcohol, driving erratically and speeding at dangerous speeds in residential neighborhoods as a child begs him to “please stop.”

The startling video, at six-and-a-half minutes, is an excruciating journey that begins with the technician, an employee of Tasca Automotive Group’s dealership on Pontiac Avenue in Cranston, flooring the accelerator while the car is in neutral.

“The guy says this thing smokes, do you believe him?” he asks over the sound of the motor straining against redline. “I don’t see anything.”

Note: the video was removed from YouTube shortly after this story was posted. It reappeared on LiveLeak.com later on Wednesday and can be seen below.

Not a good start to what should be an investigation into an oil consumption problem, right? What follows is a scene-by-scene cringefest as the technician bellows in slurred-song, describes polishing off some wine with a co-worker at around 3 o’clock earlier that day, veers into the shoulder of the road, appears to aim towards bumps and potholes in the road and clearly drives at more than twice the speed limit.

Alex Leach has babied his car ever since he bought it last year it as a certified pre-owned vehicle. Now, he’s asking Tasca to give him warranty coverage in the event that the thrashing his car received leads to future problems.

And so far, he said he’s ”extremely disappointed” in how the dealership is responding to his concerns, which essentially is an offer for him to pay for extended warranty coverage out of his own pocket. And the technician still works there, as far as he knows, he said.

“They’re actually defending the technician,” Leach said in an interview. “They said he specializes in high performance.”

A call to the dealership for a comment for this story was not immediately returned. This story will be updated if they do.

And this comes after Leach showed the video to the service manager who Leach said at first was apologetic and seemed as shocked as he was after viewing the footage.

Leach said he told the dealership he wouldn’t share the video on the Internet if they could work out a deal to make the situation right.

“Now they’re downplaying it,” Leach said. “I’m just worried that if my shocks go out, how am I going to know it’s not from [the technician] driving it like that? Plus the other possible damage to the motor, transmission.”

The car ended up in the dealership’s hands on Aug. 6 due to an ongoing oil consumption issue that Leach wanted fixed once and for all. He had come in for the problem before, and now, he noticed that he had to add 2 quarts of oil after just 2,000 miles following the last oil change. For a 2013, that’s beyond even what the manufacturer considers an acceptable oil consumption rate.

They called after a couple of days and told Leach that they don’t see an oil leak and needed to have the shop foreman drive the car over the weekend to diagnose.

“I agreed to it because I just wanted the problem fixed,” Leach, 26, said.

He got a call the following Monday with a report that the turbo was bad and a new one would be installed.

The car was returned a week later and Leach never imagined what he’d see on the dash cam footage when he got his car back twelve days later, replete with a new turbo to replace the old one under the CPO warranty that apparently was causing the oil consumption issue.

The video shows just six minutes of several hours worth of driving on the Friday night the shop foreman took the car home. It ends when he finds the camera, says “He’s probably watching us,” and disconnects it. Leach said he’s dismayed because the employee had the car for the rest of the weekend and can’t imagine what else might have happened with him behind the wheel.

In addition to the apparent admission of drinking and driving, the video shows the employee pick up a young child, say “how we gonna do 2 fast 2 furious without shoes?” and proceed to rocket through intersections, chirp the tires in second gear and clearly commit numerous traffic violations.

“You’re scaring me,” the child whimpers. “Please stop.”

“This car is crazy fast,” he says..

“I feel like it’s going to go out of control,” the child says. “Who owns it?”

“A customer,” he says as the tires chirp.

Leach said he thought he was trying to handle the situation professionally, setting up a meeting with the service manager to show him the footage and try to keep the situation in his office.

“I told him that I felt an extended bumper to bumper warranty and powertrain warranty, on top of my CPO warranty was appropriate. From a customer service stand point and due to damages done to the car, I think that I should also be given a new set of tires. He says he will run this all by the owner, and they will put together a package for me,” Leach said.

After a week, there’s no word on the package and after leaving unreturned voicemails, he calls Mazda, who calls the dealership and he finally gets a call back.

“He begins by defending the employee. Saying that it’s okay because my car is a ‘high performance car, and all these guys are racecar drivers’” Leach said.

That might have been a reference to Bob Tasca III, the well-known drag racer.

Leach said he responded by saying he doesn’t even drive his own car that hard, it’s his daily driver and something he paid money for.

Despite his experience, Leach said he’s still willing to work with the dealership to resolve the matter.

“I wanted to share this video with my friends and family to warn them about what goes on at Tasca Cranston.”

meh, there's a bit of exaggeration to make a clickbait story and get people to do SMH comments.

Yes, the car was not babied by the mechanic, but it was not as thrashed as the article makes it out to be, and the car should be able to be driven like that with zero long term wear or effect on it's value.

A lot of the quotes are taken out of place cause the guy is just humoring his kid whom it looks like he has split custody of and he's trying to impress, and all kids say stupid stuff because they don't have a frame of reference.
Like they'll say things are scary just because the exhaust is loud or different from what they used to.

The guy is say it's crazy fast just to make it feel like an adventure and that he's cooler than mom's boyfriend "Brian", and a kid will echo along whatever narrative his dad is saying cause he wants his dad to be cool.

Also, keep in mind the guy is in because his baby car was consuming 2qts oil every 2000miles, so it's not like the car was perfect to begin with.

Last note is the guy calls his engine a "motor".
smirk.gif

Last edited:
He is driving the car abnormally rough. There is no need to chirp the tires, but driving it harder to test components isn't abnormal. And it is a performance car, so it looks like he is really winding it out.

Still not cool

Hard to find someone to root for. Sure the tech shouldn't be "drunk" but there are some neurological defects that cause slurred speech when sober. Customer sounds like a crybaby, blowing shocks by going on the shoulder once, really? But yet the dealer should know and respect that there are Type A folks out there who also ascribe to the "dealer is an expert" line.

But, yeah, some cars need the [censored] rodded out of them for diagnostic reasons.

Why are some of you defending this idiot? If this were my vehicle I would be furious.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Why are some of you defending this idiot? If this were my vehicle I would be furious.

I agree. While the video is not as bad as I would have thought, I still see NO value in his taking it home and driving it hard. A previous poster claimed no wear or damage was done but I have to disagree. Driving ANY car, high performance or not like this induces wear and tear. And if that is going to be done to my car, I am going to be the one doing it.....not some dufus at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Hard to find someone to root for. Sure the tech shouldn't be "drunk" but there are some neurological defects that cause slurred speech when sober. Customer sounds like a crybaby, blowing shocks by going on the shoulder once, really? But yet the dealer should know and respect that there are Type A folks out there who also ascribe to the "dealer is an expert" line.

But, yeah, some cars need the [censored] rodded out of them for diagnostic reasons.

Please explain how driving this car hard is "diagnosing anything???? If this is your idea of diagnosing car problems, don't become a mechanic....

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Quote:
...Alex Leach has babied his car ever since he bought it last year it as a certified pre-owned vehicle...

There is your classic problem with buying a performance machine and then driving it like a Camry.
The tech probably did this car a favor.

how so?

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Quote:
...Alex Leach has babied his car ever since he bought it last year it as a certified pre-owned vehicle...

There is your classic problem with buying a performance machine and then driving it like a Camry.

how so?

The guy brought the car in for excessive oil consumption of 2 qts per 2000 miles. His driving style may have something to do with it. After all, it is a 2.3L, 4 cylinder, turbocharged and direct injected engine making something like 260hp.

The tech, although stupid acting, probably knew what he was doing. RX8 owners had similar problems when babying their cars.

Last edited:
Italian tune up.... pretty common in those parts. Good ol' days of blowing the carbon out of the engine

Engine was finally broken in...

New dealership memo... disconnect or cover dash cams

BTW, Tasca employees have gone downhill over the years. But, its expected. Just take a look around at the next generations.

And, the owner should trade in his 3 for a Prius.

Gotta go. Need to abuse either my Camry or Sonata during my commute. They are driven 10/10ths every day.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
meh, there's a bit of exaggeration to make a clickbait story and get people to do SMH comments.

I agree. I usually don't like other people who aren't friends of mine driving my cars, and I have found that shop staff always find some lame reason for a test drive if you have some form of performance car. I'm a lttle more laid back about it these days, but I would never agree to just having some random dude driving my rig around for the weekend.

The guy is a terrible singer, though.

Quote:

how so?

The guy brought the car in for excessive oil consumption of 2 qts per 2000 miles. His driving style may have something to do with it. After all, it is a 2.3L, 4 cylinder, turbocharged and direct injected engine making something like 260hp.

The tech, although stupid acting, probably knew what he was doing. RX8 owners had similar problems when babying their cars.

The driving style excuse is absolutely lame. There are many motors out there like Chevy Malibu 2.0, BMW 2.0, and others putting out similar #'s and not marketed as "performance machines". [censored] engineering if that is the reason on Mazda's part.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Please explain how driving this car hard is "diagnosing anything???? If this is your idea of diagnosing car problems, don't become a mechanic....

It got a new turbo, they need to see if it's turbo-ing.
wink.gif

There was a thread on here a while back that was split 50/50 on if an alignment tech needed to be peeling out and otherwise raising cain or not. I took the side that he needed to and was trying to shock the front end bushings to see if he could get them to clunk or cause a pull under high duress.

Drunk?? Yeah right, I didn't see ANY erratic driving...

Was a little aggressive in the neighborhood, but otherwise I'd be pounding on it a lot harder than the tech was(and in another few years I'll be into seven decades)...

As with many internet people immediately jump to a black or white judgment.

I'm not defending the guy, he shouldnt have done it, but on the scale of things he is not the worst or even close to it.

Is he drifting or doing donuts? Burnouts? Boucing off limiter or mising shifts?

All the mechanical f-ups that mechanics do and that happen regularly are all far worse in damage and wrar then this case, yet dont get written about

Mazda demoes their 3 in public autocross drive events, and the demo cars are driven harder by hundreds of people for a couple thousand of miles before they crush them, so a couple of miles of harder driving is within what they expect the cars to be able to do, maybe equivulant to 2 autox runs. and their commercials show the car driven no worse than this.

My point is what's is ridiculous is the articles are written to feed into this need to outrage and taking kids quotes as they were expert facts.

Proper headline would be: mechanic doesnt drive car the same as owner would've liked. Man attempts to get internet outraged with out of context quotes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I'd pay the dweeb a visit after hours. Perhaps he'd let me drive HIS POS the same way, and laugh about it.

Last edited:
I don't know if most of you read the entire article, but
this [censored] tech DISCONNECTED the customers dash cam as well.
Obviously he must have realized that he was being recorded after awhile and although a slow witted bean, figured he better do something about it.

There is NO excuse for the behavior of this idiot tech, but what is even worse is that the dealership is DEFENDING this employee and has NOT fired him or done anything to apologize to the customer in a meaningful way. One more reason why folks should be VERY concerned about taking their car to the dealer for anything at all.

I don't really see much, other than poor singing.

Redlining it out of gear is fine, modern engines can't over rev. The engine is probably used to no load which is why its burning oil, he went out and drove it moderately aggressively to try to put some load on the rings and maybe seal them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back