Declining those free oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure many of you can relate: I would rather do my own oil changes.

Will declining GM's 2 year/24000 mile oil change package affect my warranty?

Originally Posted By: Plumber

NO, but you might want to keep receipts for all oil and filters purchased to be safe. Also make sure the oil meets the manufactures requirements.

also reset your OLM every time you do a change. They can probably scan the computer and see at which mileages the system was reset.

I would accept the free changes if I were you. It's likely an AC/Delco filter and the AC/Delco syn-blend which is made my XOM and Dexos approved.

Last edited:
Manufacture free oil changes are good. I had some free oil changes when I bought LS400, E430, S2000 and now my daughter '14 Accord, I used every one of them without problems.

Free oil change at quick lube(s) is another story.

I was given 5 free oil changes when I bought the Yukon as well. I have already used 1. It is included with the VIP service they give to new and certain used vehicles.

FWIW the service department at the dealer is always super busy.

When I got my new malibu last month it came with 2yr/ 24k oil change package also. Im not sure if I want some lube tech touching my car. I can do the o/c and rotate at my job no problem I jus gotta pay 4 oil. But I would keep receipts if u do them urself. I kno I will if I do it. If I decide 2 do it ill prob decide between mobil1 ep or afe 0w20 weight.

Personally I skipped my free oil changes. I'm to paranoid about some idiot screwing something up, the hassle of waiting, and I enjoy doing my oc's anyway...I run into discount tire for free tire rotations when needed (the one I go to uses HAND TORQUE wrenches to tighten the lug nuts).

I've had my Grand Cherokee for over 18 months/12k miles (I've done 2 oc's so far) and it just went into the dealers shop for the first time ever, for software updates.

Take their free oil and their free filter to save a few pennies but do the work yourself to save your vehicle.
If they kick up a fuss,spin them the 'I'm saving you time and keeping one of your lifts available' line.

Mine came with 4 years of maintenance but OCI is 10,000 miles or one year and dealer will not change unless the year is up or the 10,000. So I have had 3 free changes but I also do my own change half way thru around 5,000 miles and let them do the next one. Only issue is sloppy work, they don't clean the pan or filter housing and one does not know if a leak or just not cleaning up after the change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just make sure they don't put transmission fluid in the fill hole and you should be good.

This would be a major concern for me but how would/could you possibly control what they do? This is exactly why I would never trust anyone, especially a dealership, to change fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just make sure they don't put transmission fluid in the fill hole and you should be good.

Or use the wrong viscosity or specification, or worse yet, use an eCore.
wink.gif

I haven't used them. The only time anybody but myself changed oil has been when I was fairly sure I was going to buy a used car and took it to a particular 'lube place' as an excuse to check under the car on the lift and complete my pre-purchase investigation.

It's not worth the hassle to me. I tell them to keep the oil changes, and I'll do it myself and keep records. The only time a dealership ever changed my oil was for replacing a leaking oil pan gasket under warranty.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
also reset your OLM every time you do a change. They can probably scan the computer and see at which mileages the system was reset.

I would accept the free changes if I were you. It's likely an AC/Delco filter and the AC/Delco syn-blend which is made my XOM and Dexos approved.

It does show up as part of the OnStar report that gets sent out monthly.

I typically go to the dealer to have TSB's done (for free). If show up with no paying reason to a dealer or my mechanic you get charged a tad for the "show up fee".

I guess I will play it by ear. I have the new City Express, which is really the Nissan NV200. The oil filter is above some plastic guards which need have some 6 bolts to disassemble. A lot of work IMO for a tech.

The tire rotations I will definitely have done, as I cannot do them myself.

Why would it affect your warranty? Years ago free oil change packages were very rare so we all changed our own oil. Just keep records.

Unfortunately most oil technicians at dealerships are typically flunkies extraordinaire. I am sure there are some great ones out there.
There is good reason to not have dealerships or express lube shops do your OC .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back