E3 Plugs in Grand Marquis causing missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my GM at 82,000 miles. It is now nearing 140,000 and was starting to idle a bit rought and miss a bit more than I liked. I thought maybe the original plugs could still be in it and they are rated to be changed 100,000. I pulled the plugs and to my surprise they were the E3's. I swapped them out for Autolite Iridium as AZ had a nice rebate on them. Everyone says that Autolite makes Motorcraft. The car runs much smoother and feels much stronger via the butt dyno. The missing has completely stopped. I used to be able to make it miss in hot weather on small hill climb under light load trying to accelerate very lightly. Not enough to make it downshift but put a light load on it and a missing it would go. Bucking. Now I cannot seem to make it happen. Wish I had checked these sooner but beter late than never.

the results from gimmicky spark plugs.

Remember this: spark plug technology is almost, if not slightly over 100 years old now. Whatever new technology in terms of machining, manufacturing, improving electrical characteristics, etc. have long been explored if not already successfully implemented.

There's very minimal room for performance enhancement as a result.

So, what does E3 plugs marketing say that other plugs don't have? that's right, gimmicky, unproven technology that would lead to "missing"....

I will never spend my hard-earned mullah on gimmicky, unproven spark plugs but only factory endorsed ones (NGK, Champion, Autolite, Bosch, etc.)

Q.

While it was likely your plugs, you could also have a plug wire on the edge so to speak. Replacing the plugs likely cut down the peak voltage required to fire them. If the symptoms re-emerge soon, look at the wires.

Last edited:
Multiple electrode spark plugs have been foisted on the public for at least 55 years. I remember my dad tried them on a 59 chevy 6, not a picky engine, and they misfired all the time. If they were better Champion, AC and all the other big names would make them.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Multiple electrode spark plugs have been foisted on the public for at least 55 years. I remember my dad tried them on a 59 chevy 6, not a picky engine, and they misfired all the time. If they were better Champion, AC and all the other big names would make them.

More like they would be implemented at the OE level. They are trying to get every .1MPG as it is, if it actually worked, you can bet they would use it.

Well, there is some evidence to show multi ground strap plugs do last a little longer as a result of sharing the spark with multiple straps instead of one. The trade off, however, is this comes with a lack of combustion. Even the one ground strap of a typical J plug reduces the amount flame development, but this is often seen as a necessary evil.

These plugs were actually decently common back in the day in many vehicles, like some older Toyotas and many German cars actually. Bosch actually used them for ages as their typical platinum replacement plugs for a general vehicle. I had a chance to ask a Bosch rep once the reason why they switched from the 4 strap to a typical J type was because they were having reliability issues with the multi strap plugs. Which makes sense, as multi strap plugs run the risk of acing between the straps.

E3 says to try them in your lawnmower before buying them for your car...I did,and they didn't work right out of the box.Junk,but their own "testing" claims massive gains.Right.....

I use them in everything. I never believed a spark plug could be better than another in that a spark is a spark right. As long as it fires the fuel explodes however I have found e3 plugs make my engines run better than all the other 4 electrode plugs.
They do tend to expose weaknesses though such as a bad wire or coil on plugs. The first time I used them in a mustang 2v mine also missed. It ended up being a coil.
I like the plugs though. They are the only ones I'll buy now.

Originally Posted By: punisher
While it was likely your plugs, you could also have a plug wire on the edge so to speak. Replacing the plugs likely cut down the peak voltage required to fire them. If the symptoms re-emerge soon, look at the wires.

This is my thought line as well.

The guys are right in regards to plugs being old tech and if an oem could squeeze any extra mileage out they would be factory equipment.
I've not had any issues with these plugs personally.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Problems are created when one deviates from OEM plugs.
Of course blanket statements like this are often wrong.

BMWR1150XX motorcycles the OE plug is a twin strap. This motorcycle tends to surge a little bit from the emissions controls. Lots of folks use a J strap autolite, works ok for about 1000 miles surge back.
There is a 4 strap Bosch 4417 that is the plug for this application. Minimizes surge, better low speed torque, same mileage. Lasts much longer than OE plug.

So there can be better plugs

Rod

E3 are junk as are those Pulstars and Splitfires. You don't have to use the exact OEM plug but atleast use a good quality plug like Autolite, NGK, Denso etc.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Of course blanket statements like this are often wrong.

BMWR1150XX motorcycles the OE plug is a twin strap. This motorcycle tends to surge a little bit from the emissions controls. Lots of folks use a J strap autolite, works ok for about 1000 miles surge back.
There is a 4 strap Bosch 4417 that is the plug for this application. Minimizes surge, better low speed torque, same mileage. Lasts much longer than OE plug.

So there can be better plugs

Rod

How did we get from a Gran Marquis to a motorcycle?? Let's compare apples to apples. Your motorcycle experiences are useless in this discussion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back