Dog Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like American terriers. If I were to have a dog, I would try to get a lab/pit mix.

However, I don't know the first thing about having a dog, so I probably never will. I understand cats and for me, cats are much more convenient. They don't require any training (not that you could if you wanted)and are more independent. I dont have the required time to train and take care of a dog.

I had to dog sit a pitt for a few years while some family friends went on their yearly vacation. He did seem to require a stern talking to, but was good natured. He would be so happy when I would show up after work that he would curl up and fall over haha.

It's really an owner thing. Like someone who can't drive buying a hellcat and earning a Darwin award

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's really an owner thing. Like someone who can't drive buying a hellcat and earning a Darwin award

Not quite the simile...it's someone who can't drive buying a hellcat, placing a brick on the gas pedal, and pointing it at society.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
AZjeff said:
I'd like to ask pit bull owners and defenders, with all respect, what is it about owning a dog that has the capacity to seriously injure or kill a person? With the history and statistics of this breed, (and to a lesser degree Rotties), what is the attraction? Protection? Image? Superiority? What's wrong with Beagles or Labs or Corgis or Greyhounds or Blue Ticks? Looking for honest answers. Why a pit bull?

Any dog has the capacity to seriously injure or kill a person. There are a hundred of breeds that weigh 75+ lbs. There are also a hundred smaller breeds that weigh 20 lbs that can maul a child etc. That is an honest answer

Originally Posted By: dja4260
AZjeff said:
I'd like to ask pit bull owners and defenders, with all respect, what is it about owning a dog that has the capacity to seriously injure or kill a person? With the history and statistics of this breed, (and to a lesser degree Rotties), what is the attraction? Protection? Image? Superiority? What's wrong with Beagles or Labs or Corgis or Greyhounds or Blue Ticks? Looking for honest answers. Why a pit bull?

Any dog has the capacity to seriously injure or kill a person. There are a hundred of breeds that weigh 75+ lbs. There are also a hundred smaller breeds that weigh 20 lbs that can maul a child etc. That is an honest answer

True, but from personal experience delivering census forms one year house to house, the only dogs I didn't get out of the car for were the typical "dangerous" breeds. Sure a big lab could think about biting me, but I was also sure it I could handle that situation with being friendly and confident, and then with a sharp word or blow or eye gouge if it came to it. The house with the unchained 150lb Rottweiler, or pair of circling silent pits, got their census form chucked from my car... I had no idea how well any of the dogs were trained, other than clues from the property, so I played the odds and did pretty well, no bites!
Any cow in a field can kill you, but I'm sure you'll watch the bull more closely than the rest!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
AZjeff said:

True, but from personal experience delivering census forms one year house to house, the only dogs I didn't get out of the car for were the typical "dangerous" breeds. Sure a big lab could think about biting me, but I was also sure it I could handle that situation with being friendly and confident, and then with a sharp word or blow or eye gouge if it came to it. The house with the unchained 150lb Rottweiler, or pair of circling silent pits, got their census form chucked from my car... I had no idea how well any of the dogs were trained, other than clues from the property, so I played the odds and did pretty well, no bites!
Any cow in a field can kill you, but I'm sure you'll watch the bull more closely than the rest!

And you've met my big idiot of a dog, did you find him scary?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
AZjeff said:

And you've met my big idiot of a dog, did you find him scary?

Not at all, as I knew its original breeding intent isn't aggressive, and it had friendly body language, and you were there of course. The "dangerous" dogs tend not act friendly even if I do, where as the initially unfriendly "nice" dogs like a lab, reacted quite fast to some friendly words like they would rather be wagging their tail and getting a pat on the head. Why wouldn't they, companion dogs were bred to act that way. Most "dangerous" breeds were bred to be aggressive in some way, either guarding or fighting, or taking down large game, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some act aggressively at the wrong time.

Not at all, as I knew its original breeding intent isn't aggressive, and it had friendly body language, and you were there of course. The "dangerous" dogs tend not act friendly even if I do, where as the initially unfriendly "nice" dogs like a lab, reacted quite fast to some friendly words like they would rather be wagging their tail and getting a pat on the head. Why wouldn't they, companion dogs were bred to act that way. Most "dangerous" breeds were bred to be aggressive in some way, either guarding or fighting, or taking down large game, so it shouldn't be a surprise that some act aggressively at the wrong time.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
These poor dogs only get this reputation because they do more damage.

Exactly. It's because they're capable of inflicting major injury or death. Poor dogs?

Many dog bites from random other breeds aren't even reported.

So what? Dog bites that require ER care get recorded. That a Pomeranian bite isn't recorded has nothing to do with Pit Bulls.

The OP is familiar with the owner, the dog, the victim, and the circumstances. He's presented this factually and without drama. His personal view about the breed has changed. If that doesn't carry any weight with someone reading this then their mind must be closed. Defenders cite 100 things that owners do wrong with these dogs but the bottom line is when one bites, defends, attacks, or mauls someone or something is getting hurt badly or worse. Is there a solution?

You insinuate that I accused OP of twisting the truth and causing drama? Did you see where I quoted his first post? That is because I didn't buddy. Also, at the end of your post, you also insinuated I have a closed mind because I dont blame the breed. I dont know if you knew this or not, but people have been bitten by other breeds besides pits.

You arent even worth having a discussion with.

*I cant believe what I just read in one of your quoted posts. You asked what was wrong with having other dogs and listed beagles or hounds? These dogs are bred to kill. They are hunting dogs. So much hypocrisy it isnt even funny. My recent comment to you still stands.

Your comment "poor dogs" is silly. These dogs have the rep they have because they're capable of seriously injuring and killing people. The subject of this thread is why they have this rep.

Your 2nd comment about many dog bites going unrecorded is true and is also unrelated to this situation. If a dog bite is serious enough to require an ER visit and/or surgery it will be recorded.

About beagles, my grandfather raised beagles for field trial, show ring, and hunting. He had nationally top 10 ranked dogs. They are not bred to kill, they're bred and trained to chase. Period. A beagle that catches a rabbit is DQ'd from a trial and is no good to a hunter. A hunting beagle fast enough to catch a rabbit will make too many rabbits hole up before they comes back around to the hunters and will be punished. I grew up with and owned hunting beagles. Beagles are never trained to kill. It's usually best to actually know about your subject before going off about it.

And the rest, notice I said "with someone reading this..." not "if you personally" or "if dlundblad ...." my comment was directed at the defender audience at large. I would address you directly as I did with your quotes.You want to broaden this discussion to dog bites in general and that's not what it's about. It's about 1 breed, the perception that they can "snap", and the damage they can cause.
When I was 5 or 6 I got bit by a beagle at a friends house. We were playing catch and the ball rolled into the radius of the beagle's chain. I ran to get the ball and the beagle nailed me on my side as I reached down for the ball. Totally my fault.

I'm willing to defend or explain anything I write. Without drama.

My rule of thumb is that if the dog bites a person, it gets put down. Doesn't matter who's fault it was.
The exception would be when a person was actually attacking the dog and it was in full defense, or if the dog was defending my family and/or property.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My rule of thumb is that if the dog bites a person, it gets put down. Doesn't matter who's fault it was.
The exception would be when a person was actually attacking the dog and it was in full defense, or if the dog was defending my family and/or property.

That's a responsible and reasonable rule. Owners should also be held accountable as well.

I have a problem with BSL. I wish communities would use the above as guidelines.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

For once someone that makes sense. I got news for the guy who grabbed the ball and got bit by the beagle. That thing would become a football. Dogs don't bite and if they do for reasons over toys and food, you have not trained your dog properly. Dogs are companions but if they must recognize who is the master.

RE the beagle, I was 5 and shouldn't have been there in the dog's space. Maybe I was told to stay away, can't remember. Hunting dogs are what they are, lots of them aren't pets. 50+ years ago it was the kid's fault. I'll ask my mother if she remembers.

KrisZ, how many have you put down?

Last edited:

Personally, zero. But on our family farm, where I grew up, my parents put down about 5 dogs that I remember, only one that bit a person. Others went due to health issues or age. One was put down simply because we had too many dogs at one time and nobody wanted to adopt it.

Our current Maltese is a joy and really good with my children. However we would never leave our 5 month old with the dog alone and unsupervised. And if it did bite one of my kids, it would be put down.

Growing up on a farm really puts into perspective at what level, when compared to humans, the animals are and should be. It irks me when people talk about their pets as family members or as one of their children.
I can understand the sentiment and attachment, but animals are not human. You cannot reason with them or explain things. They only know how to react to certain things and need to know their place in the pack and in a human pack it's must be at the bottom. Otherwise bad things can happen.

RE the beagle, I was 5 and shouldn't have been there in the dog's space. Maybe I was told to stay away, can't remember. Hunting dogs are what they are, lots of them aren't pets. 50+ years ago it was the kid's fault. I'll ask my mother if she remembers.

I put down all my animals, because they were sick and dying of old age. I have never had to put one down due to it being aggressive to a human. I trained them when they were puppies and not by beating them. Dogs are more responsive to raising your voice than children. Its important to train them when they are small. I only eliminate the animal also if it breaks the skin and requires stitches. My mom would have Chilauhias and they were vicious little monsters they would attach themselves and bite like crazy, fortunately they had hardly any teeth so it was kind of a joke, not a joke if it needs stitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back