2008 Subaru Legacy ATF compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worn our the interwebz trying to figure this out.

I just bought a new to me 2008 Legacy 2.5i with an auto tranny. 115k on the car. According to the Carfax, the tranny was serviced by a Subaru dealer with about 45k. Front and rear diff serviced at the same time.

It's so darn confusing about the ATF HP. I'm asking for a little help here. I have a new filter and was going to do a drain and fill on the ATF. I can get Maxlife ATF at Walmart for $17 for 4 qts.

I can also get RP, Amsoil, or BG fluid.

Some info says Matic J (which is now Matic S and very compatible with Maxlife), some say the ATF HP is a must...you know the story..

What are you Subie guys using in your auto transmissions?

Last edited:
The Subaru ATF-HP isn't that expensive. I only use the ATF-HP in my wife's Forester. I've done multiple drain and fills.

I see no real reason to drop the pan. Unless you really want to. Just do a drain and fill. If you do change the filter, pay close attention to the o-ring that the filter uses to "snap" into the transmission.

I dropped the pan on her Forester, and I see no reason to ever do it again. The filter is a simple "rock" catcher. It was spotless. The pan can be a bear to seal back up properly once re-installed. I ended up using Hondabond to get a good seal.

Last edited:
Is this one of the years with the spin on transmission filter? if so only use the oem part. The aftermarket versions can cause funky transmission shifting.

Use ATF-HP its not very expensive.

Change the front and rear gear oil as well. I recommend redline, amsoil, or motul.

But if you are trying to be cheap you can use cheaper alternatives such as supertech 75w90 blend for 5$/qt

I've been quite happy with the motul gear 300, slightly better than the redline I used previously.

Of course mine was used in the MT/DIFF so its abit different application where the gear oil is very important to have the proper shifting and "feel"

Last edited:
Maxlife is great stuff and will work well where Subaru HP is called for
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Is this one of the years with the spin on transmission filter? if so only use the oem part. The aftermarket versions can cause funky transmission shifting.

Use ATF-HP its not very expensive.

Change the front and rear gear oil as well. I recommend redline, amsoil, or motul.

But if you are trying to be cheap you can use cheaper alternatives such as supertech 75w90 blend for 5$/qt

I've been quite happy with the motul gear 300, slightly better than the redline I used previously.

Of course mine was used in the MT/DIFF so its abit different application where the gear oil is very important to have the proper shifting and "feel"

I ordered the OEM filter from Amazon..about $20.

I have always used Amsoil or RP gear oil. RP is made about 20 miles from here, so it's a local thing also.

I'll price the HP ATF at the dealer.

I am in Houston, and we have no indie Subaru shops. I sent an email to a Subaru shop in Seattle asking about ATF. They said they use Wolfs Head synthetic ATF but said Maxlife would also be ok. This is a very well known subie shop, so I don't think they would go wrong.

Coming from a multi-Subaru family, I would use readily available Maxlife ATF like said. Wolf's Head is good stuff too, provided it carries the HP spec on the bottle.

I don't think a 2008 Leggy AT has the additional spin-on filter for the trans, just the typical filter above the pan. I'd swap out the front and rear diff oils with new 75w90 as well.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Coming from a multi-Subaru family, I would use readily available Maxlife ATF like said. Wolf's Head is good stuff too, provided it carries the HP spec on the bottle.

I don't think a 2008 Leggy AT has the additional spin-on filter for the trans, just the typical filter above the pan. I'd swap out the front and rear diff oils with new 75w90 as well.

I don't know about the filter...I guess I should look, but the Subaru parts store said it had one.

I personally think Maxlife is about as good as Amsoil for application. It will go in just about anything.

Just put the car on the ramps. Atf spin on filter is there, so glad I ordered one. I've never heard of any issue with Maxlife or Amsoil. The Maxlife is just so easy to get at Walmart.

They really make these for owners to maintain. So easy to do the ATF and differentials. Alternator is right on top of the engine also.

I won't do a timing belt though. I don't know if it's ever been done, so I ordered the Gates kit with timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump with thermostat. That should take care of it. Also have a bottle of the coolant conditioner for when the water pump is replaced.

Transmissions that require ATF-HP perform very well with universal multivehicle ATFs. Some will require time to adapt, which can be quicker with a transmission learn.

http://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-10107-042F-Fluids-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B007WMGG0C

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-252-2001-Atf-Hp-Matic/dp/B005BNYF3O

I would use the Amsoil, RoyalPurple, or BG fluid without hesitation but give you the above links.

MATIC-J is still available as KIA/Hyundai ATF-RED for those that don't want the thinner MPG improving longer life MATIC-S

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Transmissions that require ATF-HP perform very well with universal multivehicle ATFs. Some will require time to adapt, which can be quicker with a transmission learn.

http://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-10107-042F-Fluids-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B007WMGG0C

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-252-2001-Atf-Hp-Matic/dp/B005BNYF3O

I would use the Amsoil, RoyalPurple, or BG fluid without hesitation but give you the above links.

MATIC-J is still available as KIA/Hyundai ATF-RED for those that don't want the thinner MPG improving longer life MATIC-S

My Titan was Matic J until they changed to Matic S. Amsoil and Maxlife worked great in that application.

So if ATF HP is matic j= matic s= just about any universal fluid...if I understand.

So basically anything universal. With multiple drain and fills, I think Maxlife is pretty decent.

If I was doing a full exchange, then Amsoil or RP. But this car is new to me and I want to take baby steps on the tranny since I don't know the full history.

Cool to know the 2008 Legacy included the spin-on trans filter. A nice add-on for sure. They are nice vehicles in terms of typical fluid and filter changes. Spark plugs are OK to get at in non-turbo format. Head gaskets are a pain because of the twin heads and most pull the engine to replace these.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Cool to know the 2008 Legacy included the spin-on trans filter. A nice add-on for sure. They are nice vehicles in terms of typical fluid and filter changes. Spark plugs are OK to get at in non-turbo format. Head gaskets are a pain because of the twin heads and most pull the engine to replace these.

Fingers crossed on the HG. Looks good so far. I added the Subaru coolant conditioner when we replaced the water pump during the timing service.

I'm also going to add some Lubegard Red to the next ATF change just because I have always used it and it's a great additive to the Maxlife ATF.

I'm really starting to enjoy this Subaru.

Bump and update.

I did a drain and fill with the Maxlife. Gave a pretty rough 2-1 downshift. Not bad, but not easy either.

Bit the bullet and got the HP fluid from the Subaru dealer for $9.00 a quart, so I only got 8.

Did another drain and fill with the HP and added some Lubegard red and all is well. Smooth but firm shifting, the rough 2-1 is gone.

Just changed out the valve cover and plug gaskets. I'm crossing my fingers that there is no HG leak and the oil drip was from the valve covers, which it looked like. The driver side was dripping from the lower corner closest to the firewall and running down the front crossmember.

I just changed the trans fluid and filters on 2 Subaru's. One takes Dexron III so no problem with it, I used MaxLife and it is functioning good, I just need to do a second drain and fill to get the fluid cleaner.
The second Sub takes the atf-HP, much harder to find. I ended up using MaxLife LV because it said suitable for use for Subaru HP applications. Then I saw a bottle of another Valvoline full synthetic that actually had Subaru ATF HP listed on the back of the bottle, thats the one I'm going to use next as it might be better for the HP application, I saw this at AAP. And boy, do I ever love those screw-on transmission filters and transmission pans with drain bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back