New/NOS Service Champ OF5230 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of OCI would you run this for?

Rockauto clearance for $1.39; the Firestone TF5230 listed right below it is the same filter as well, and the Champ PH2005.

Date code 102711FF
Made on October 27, 2011, so not too old at all.

They are the same as the STP S8316. Hopefully STP/Autozone will keep the blue box standard STP like this and not outsource them to Korea like their new XL line.
Here's an S8316 that KCJeep cut open a couple years ago

The reason I cut one of these open was for the fun of it and Rock's clearance special and the shipping would be the same since I was already buying other stuff shipping from the same warehouse. Also, my preference is towards extended OCI's (1 year/10k) with higher filters like Wix/Napa Gold, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, and M1.

It's possible that the new Fram-made CQ Red R85315 may be like this too. I can't verify this because AAP closed all the nearby Carquests during the takeover and supplier switch. If I ever get to a CQ I'll buy a couple. Their stock photos still show the old Wix-made products.

I'd highly recommend stocking up on these if you have a Zetec or Liberty diesel and you don't do extended OCI's. For this application only, I'd take a cheap chimp champ over the Napa Silver/Proselect/Microgard/Pro-Tec, although the cheap Affinias certainly aren't bad at all. The 21315/31315/MGL51315/Pro-tec 169 doesn't have the silicone ADBV. But a cheap Wix would be my second choice after a cheap Champ (but only for the Zetec and 2.8 VM Motori, otherwise my first choice remains the Wix).

Red silicone ADBV, one of the holes on the base plate is bigger than the others, not an Ecore in this application, 4-legged leaf spring, metal end caps. Overall very impressive for a cheap jobber filter. The ADBV is reasonably soft and pliable.

Not sure about other Champion customers, but Service Champ is phasing out the OF5230. On their website, Service Champ puts in the description "going obsolete" and is replacing it with the OF195 which is much shorter and has a black ADBV and might be an ecore. For some reason, they're not consolidating it to OF241 even though they made the 195 short.

Since this post has been long, I'm going to put the pics in another post.

Here are the photos

21123548791_1c148fb2af_k.jpg

20927716310_9177d1c125_k.jpg

20929045199_2343e76816_k.jpg

20927954488_21a46d449f_k.jpg"

20929049149_7795b5875b_k.jpg

20493208064_dcd63bf5da_k.jpg

20934418350_972d5b6da7_k.jpg

21122514275_ed5110125d_k.jpg

Looks, more or less, pretty standard. Appears to be a silicone ADBV.. but in the last pic, the media looks to be really thin. What are your thoughts regarding the media strength?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Did you cut the media away? It appears to be in two "wreath-like" rings with the center tube mostly bare! Kira

Yes, I cut the media away. The glue on the end caps is really strong! Much easier to cut the media off in the middle to split the end caps.

Usually this isn't necessary, but the design of this filter spec with a second valve in the center tube prevents you from seeing everything otherwise.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Looks, more or less, pretty standard. Appears to be a silicone ADBV.. but in the last pic, the media looks to be really thin. What are your thoughts regarding the media strength?

The media feels fine, the strength of it seems to be at least adequate. Obviously it isn't high-end synthetic, but definitely not bad. At least on par with Purolator Classic and Napa Silver. Noticeably better than the Chinese Prime Choice I cut last month.

did you happen to get any of the FVP filters on that clearance?

No, I didn't order any FVP because the R1516 is a consolidated filter (1516/3600/20195); it looks like a Purolator, and is Chinese. I found some pics of it on an eBay listing.

For the same price, you're better off with Service Champ, Firestone, STP, or Pro-Tec.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Why are there no photos of the filter element before you cut it?

Because I didn't copy the code right!

Here you go
smile.gif

20927954488_21a46d449f_k.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
did you happen to get any of the FVP filters on that clearance?

No, I didn't order any FVP because the R1516 is a consolidated filter (1516/3600/20195); it looks like a Purolator, and is Chinese. I found some pics of it on an eBay listing.

For the same price, you're better off with Service Champ, Firestone, STP, or Pro-Tec.
I ordered a couple. They're Puros. Ill use one soon enough and hack it open.

Looking at the baseplate shape and the end cap neck, it doesn't look like much space for the ADBV to open. Would be nice to see a side shot of the parts together. Not a bad looking economy filter.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I ordered a couple. They're Puros. Ill use one soon enough and hack it open.

I can't wait to see them
smile.gif

Make sure you get the date codes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back